Painting Fondant

Decorating By punkiin Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 2:29am by Ali24

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:11am
post #1 of 11

I've seen several pics with details that said PAINTED.....how do you paint fondant??? Can you use Wilton Gel colors to paint white fondant??????

10 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:39am
post #2 of 11

Hi,

I tried it for the first time this weekend. Just wanted to practice it so I did it on these cookies. It worked ok. I mixed food colorings (wilton paste and some americolor gels) with a bit of water. My kids had fun painting the cookies too. I was really rushed..so I hope to do it again and do a better job!
LL

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:42am
post #3 of 11

I know they use the Wilton colors or Americolor (The 2nd one I never used before), but I do not know how much liquid people use to "paint", I have heard some people use water, some use whiskey or vodka, I have asked this question before, but never got a measure on how much liquid and what type to add to how much of color. I hope someone answers your question so I can get an answer as well, LOL> Sorry I am not much of a help. Good luck! Veronica

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:56am
post #4 of 11

I have painted fondant a lot, actually. I use lemon extract, and you just have to eyeball it, and it will evaporate, and you will have to add more. When I have been in a hurry, I have also just dipped my brush right in the btl of extract and then color or luster dust or 24K gold. The tiles on the mosaic cake in my gallery are all painted this way.

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you so much! I will try this today. I had actually painted a pumpkin with WILTON GEL only yesterday and it never did dry. Learn from our adventures. icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 11

oh and in my experience, powder paints the best! but paste or gel is fineicon_smile.gif
good luck!

artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 11

I painted my eagle on fondant. It's in my photos. I may not have done it right, but.... here is what I did. I took a toothpick and dipped out some color from my jar. Then I poured some vodka in a little bowl and dipped the brush in the vodka and then into the color basically I used the vodka to thin out the color, and to clean my brush. I really don't know the right way but that is what work for me . Good Luck

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 11

Artist, I just went to see your pic of your eagle, wonderful btw your brush work is awesome. (you've obviously painted on other types of supports before) icon_biggrin.gif
But, you don't have your comments turned on so that people can comment on your artwork (cakes, same thing). I don't know if that's by choice or you don't have the comments allowed button clicked in your profile. Either way, the eagle is lovely.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 11

I paint on fondant a good bit, using either Everclear or lemon extract mixed with petal dusts or luster dusts.

Woodthi, I've tried three times to answer your PM but it won't go through. If you want, you can email me driectly through my website.

Deanna

artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #10 of 11

Thanks chaptips I didn't know it had gotten turn off.. hmm and thank you for your kind comments. Yes I have painted with just about every medium there is and on as many things. LOL just figured I would throw cakes in the mix as well.

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #11 of 11

I use clear vanilla exract or clear liqour (gin,vodka) when paining on frondant. There are two under my picutres if you would like to view them. I think it helps to view photos when trying new things. I hope that helps, have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%