My First Cake Disaster!!!!

Decorating By LittleKaren Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 3:17am by DEBBIE157

LittleKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleKaren Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 11

My husband and I were up until 2:30 in the morning working on my son's first birthday cake. My husband, the engineer, had designed this cake and worked out exactly how much cake was needed in what sizes etc. It was from curious george....the man in the yellow hat....it was the yellow hat. It was tipping slightly when we went to bed at 2:45 am. When we went back downstairs at 7:00 am, it has shifted quite signifigantly. The fondant was smooshed on one side and starting to rip on the other. My husband said to give him 5 minutes to think about what to do. I turned to close the baby gate and suddenly my 3 year old yelled out that the cake fell over. The whole thing was spread out over my dining room table. I was in tears. My poor son's first birthday cake was a mess!!!! Lucky for me I have a great husband who helped me and managed to save the fondant and most of the cake. We lost two whole layers of cake, but I think it turned out pretty good in the end. Everyone loved it. I wish it had been smoother, but considering where it came from, the overall effect was there!!!!! Thanks for looking....
LL
LL

10 replies
keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 11

I think it looks great. What a cute idea! Sorry you had the mishap, but sounds like it all worked out in the end. icon_smile.gif HB to your son! icon_wink.gif

keyshia

chefleslies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefleslies Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 11

I have been making cakes for years, but last week I made a topsy turvy cake and I forgot to put one dowel rod in...I made the cake, took my pics and started to clean up...when I came back into the dining room I saw the cake was shifted. The lower layer was buckling under pressure. I was able to save the cake itself but had to take the layers apart, that's when I noticed I was missing a rod. I had to refrost the whole cake. So don't worry it happens to all of us at one time or another.

In the future it will just be a funny story to tell your son about his 1st birthday cake.
icon_sad.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 11

Well it turned out fine. Did you support the stack with dowel rods. If not, next time skewer the stack with a few dowel rods. It will help to keep them in place.

LittleKaren Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 11

I did support them. I had each cake on it's own board and each layer was dowelled. I think it was a combination of things that made it go wrong. All those little things adding up to one disaster!!!!!

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:02am
post #6 of 11

there are so many cakes (wedding) that would not have made it out the door without my hubby! he does everything ... emergency grocery store runs, rolling out fondant, watching the kids, cleaning my messes when i'm too tired to stand, encourangement!!! what would i do without him???

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 8:08am
post #7 of 11

The cake looks so cute!!! how did you do the hat?

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 9:45am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

there are so many cakes (wedding) that would not have made it out the door without my hubby! he does everything ... emergency grocery store runs, rolling out fondant, watching the kids, cleaning my messes when i'm too tired to stand, encourangement!!! what would i do without him???

Don't forget assistant delivery driver! icon_wink.gif DH went out with me on a delivery Friday, and is giving up part of his Cowboys game to go with me to deliver on Sunday. Gotta love the man!

LittleKaren Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 11

yep, sometimes those men really do come in handy!!!! This was my easiest fondant rolling job ever, he did it all! It was great.....

The hat ended up being three 8" rounds and two 6" rounds. Once they were stacked they were carved to get the roundness of the hat. The brim of the hat is fondant covered cake board. It started out with two more 8" layers, but we lost those two in the falling of the cake!!!

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

Oh, it still came out cute. You did a great repair job!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:17am
post #11 of 11

It was a very successful reconstruction!! It looks great. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%