Thin, Med Or Thick?

Decorating By tonyab Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 12:49pm by Erdica

tonyab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyab Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:35am
post #1 of 5

When frosting a cake, do you use a thin, med or think consistancy? I will be using the Buttercream Dream recipe...
thanks for everyones help on this. I always have trouble with my frosting and I think it may be because I have the consistancy wrong.

4 replies
CrumbCoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumbCoat Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:55am
post #2 of 5

When icing the cake you usually want to go thinner than you do when making decorations like flowers.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 5

Medium

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 5

You definitely want to use thin consistency. Anything else, you will be struggling with crumbs or pieces of your caking dropping off, and you will not have an easy time icing it. I use thin, like most pple have suggested here in the past, and I never have a problem.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 5

I always have a thin to medium consistency. I find that if my frosting is too thick it tears my cake. And things just snowball from there. But if it's too thin, then I have a hard time with the final look.

I think it takes a while to find the right consistency. I know just by how my frosting looks in my mixer and how it's pulling away from the sides and the whipping blade.

It's also wise to take into effect the environment you are in. Is it dry air or lots of humidity? That will effect your frosting as well.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%