Original Ideas Vs. Borrowed Ideas

Decorating By scrapmomof3 Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm by Rincewind

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 8

How many of your cakes are based on your own ideas vs. seeing a design and borrowing ideas from that?

Just curious.

Lisa

7 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #2 of 8

For me it's about 50/50. I look through the galleries sometimes and find bits and pieces of different cakes I like and put them together to work for me and other times I get a theme and go with what pops in my head first.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:55am
post #3 of 8

I think everyone borrows ideas at some point. I don't think I ever copied an entire cake, but I certainly take bits and pieces and incorporate them into a new design.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 10:54am
post #4 of 8

A college professor once told me
"Talent borrows; genius steals." LOL

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:21am
post #5 of 8

My problem is that I'm always looking at cakes either on this site or another and was just thinking there can't possibly be anything new left to do, then I see an amazing new cake. Again because I'm always looking at cakes I know that I use a lot of ideas and get alot of inspiration from those cakes but I have never taken a cake and copied it exactly. I would rather get inspiration or ideas and use them in my own way.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:21am
post #6 of 8

I think I've only had ONE that was totally mine, and that was my carousel for the Fair...... everything else is different things from different people....I don't think I've "just copied" an entire cake idea from anyone.......

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:48am
post #7 of 8

I look at so many cake photos it seems like they are always floating around in my head. I take ideas from lots of cakes and put them together to come up with a design.

I too am looking for that amazing cake that no one has done yet and when I think I found it, I find it already posted here on CC. Oh well...

They say that mimicry is the ultimate compliment, so I guess if you copy you should name the original designer that inspired you.

I like making each cake unique, so even if someone sees my cakes on my website and asks for one of mine, I never make a duplicate. I tell them that I want their cake to be something created just for them.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 8

Edited again because I was confused- sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%