Flavoring Antonia's Icing?

Baking By Dana0323 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm by antonia74

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #1 of 12

Can you add extracts/flavorings to her recipe? I would love to just have a little hint of flavor. If so, do I sub it for the water, or just add it in later?
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

11 replies
sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:12am
post #2 of 12

I'm so glad you asked this. I can't wait to see the answer! I made it last night and added 2 tsp. almond extract. Not sure if I liked it or not. It's great to work with, but I would like it to be flavored with somehting. Can't wait to see what others have to say.

Chrisy

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #3 of 12

I was also wondering the same thing. I made some yesterday to play with before making my son's birthday cookies. It was great too work with but I too thought it needed something to flavor it!

CindyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyM Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

There's been a thread on this before and I remember something about the merinque powder in Canada has flavoring in at already and lots of others don't. Try to find that thread or pm Antonia.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 12

I always add flavoring to antonia's RI. I usually add a little vanilla and a little almond. I add it in addition to the water and it doesn't seem to affect the consistency at all. HTH

candae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candae Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #6 of 12

Hello,

I made some and added clear vanilla and almond extract in additon to the water. It came fine for me too. I will try using lemon extract next time.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:22am
post #7 of 12

I've used lemon, maple syrup (for spice cookies), cocoa (for chocolate cookies), etc. in addition to the water.

The water alone makes a very stiff RI, so I use that for outlining. I take the rest of the batch and add a few Tbls of corn syrup for shine and softness. Kind of like a Antonia/Toba combination of glaze.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 12

crazy4sugar,

How much cocoa? Is it cocoa powder or do you use melted chocolate? I'm making football cookies and I think the chocolate would work really well.

Thanks,
Chrisy

boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 12

I've used the icing several times and have added flavoring in addition to the water and have not had any problems. My favorite flavors are orange, lemon, vanilla, and for kids parties I've used bubblegum.

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 12

I've flavored Antonias icing with alot of the Lorann flavorings. I have never had a problem and I think they taste great! People try to guess what flavor I put in it, kinda fun!!!!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

crazy4sugar,

How much cocoa? Is it cocoa powder or do you use melted chocolate? I'm making football cookies and I think the chocolate would work really well.

Thanks,
Chrisy

I just sift in the cocoa powder until it's dark...about 1/2 Tablespoon per cup of icing. If the cocoa makes it too thick, I add a bit more water. They taste really great.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 12

I didn't add flavouring suggestions to my recipe because I buy a brand of meringue powder that has vanilla powder right in it. Not having used the Wilton brand before, I didn't realize that they ALL don't have flavouring built right in.

Use whatever flavour extract you'd like, but do be careful of using any oil-based extract. Oil and royal icing aren't best friends! It can cause problems in the consistency of your icing and/or the drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%