I Wish I Could Have A Do Over Today.

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm by dldbrou

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 11

Today we had our vet come to our house to spade our little femal Yorkie. (5yrs). Our vet is a mobil vet. He goes all over to perform services for your animals. Well, our little Callie did fine during the surgery, but never woke up. He had just told my husband how well surgery went and was trying to wake her up when her heart stopped. He was not able to revive her. He had never lost a patient during a procedure that went perfect with no signals that there would be a problem. To make matters worse, we lost her little boy (2 lbs) last May due to a rare disease. Now my husband says we should not have spade her, because she would still be alive. It was my decision to spade her, because we almost lost her during her last litter. She was my present 5 years ago. She and I shared the same birthday and now she is gone. We buried her right next to her little boy that we lost a few months ago. I feel that today I had to be the strong one, because my husband took it pretty hard and even the vet was taking it hard. My son was also having his two puppies fixed today and I had to be strong for him so he could go ahead with his decisions. I hope I never have another day like today. Thanks for letting me spill my feelings out to you since I can not to my family today. Maybe tomorrow they will be stronger and I can go to pieces.

10 replies
KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 11

Oh wow, what an unfortunate and horrible thing to go through! I am so sorry for your loss!

Did your vet offer to perform a pre-anesthetic blood panel??? Although complications during routine procedures is extremely rare, it is always recommended to do a blood panel, place an iv catheter and administer fluids during any anesthetic procedure.

There is no way you could know the outcome of having her spayed. Although the procedure itself is not complicated, there is always a risk when using general anesthetic. If it was something with her heart, it could have happened at any time. Many times when there is a death under anesthetic we find that the pets had something underlying that had gone undetected . . . such as cancer.

I am deeply sorry for your loss, but there really is no reason to blame yourself. My having her spayed you were trying to prevent cancer, uterine infections, etc that are associated with the reproductive organs. You and your husband had no way to know that this would go wrong.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #3 of 11

Oh how heartbreaking!! I am so very sorry. I can't imagine how terrible you feel. PP is so right though - you had no way to know this would happen. It is not your fault. No matter how simple the surgery, anesthesia always has risks, and you must not blame yourself for this. You were trying to make the best decision for your sweet girl, and you had no way to know it would turn out this way. I am so, so sorry.

Years ago I took my german shepherd to the vet for her annual physical and vaccinations. She was older but very healthy - had a great checkup and no probs with her vaccinations. But later that night she was acting kind of strange. I had to go to the store and for the first time ever she resisted going into the kitchen where I gated her whenever I went out. I thought it was strange but just insisted that she come in - she finally did so I just dismissed her strange behavior. But when I got home from the grocery store, I found her collapsed on the floor surrounded by a pool of reddish liquid (which I guess she had thrown up). She had died while I was at the store. I was devastated and felt horrible - like maybe if I had been there I could have helped her, or maybe she died because of our visit to the vet. I blamed myself, because I knew she was acting strange, but I left her anyway.

It is soooo hard to lose a pet, especially when you feel like it is somehow your fault, or you could have done something to prevent it. I am so sorry that you lost your girl, and her little boy last May. I hope that you can let yourself go to pieces tomorrow if you need to, so that you can let out your grief. It is good that you can be strong for others right now if you need to be, but I hope they will be strong for you soon too. I really am heartbroken with you. I know how much you are hurting.

dldbrou Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for your comments. It just doesn't seem real to me tonight that she is gone. I keep listening for her to beg to be picked up or let outside. It is one thing when you know your pet is sick and might not make it, but to have a healthy pet die without any clues is harder to understand. I am just numb tonight, but I know tomorrow I will deal with reality. Thank you again.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 11

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a pet. My thoughts are with you and your family.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 11

I am very sorry to hear about your loss as well ... and of course you know you can come here to grieve but sometimes it is nice to grieve with your family even if you think you need to be strong for them .. it might help them to deal with their own pain? Anyone who has lost a pet knows what a tough time this can be and no matter what just know that you gave her a good life for five years and she loved you and your family as much as you all loved her.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #7 of 11

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

shivs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivs Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 11

I am so sorry for the loss of your pet. You were doing a loving thing for her. I hope you are feeling a little better

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 11

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I too feel your pain. icon_sad.gif

dldbrou Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 11

Yesterday my vet sent me a letter telling me how sorry he was for the loss of Callie. I know it has affected him as well, because this was his first loss of a healthy dog that he did surgery. The nights are the hardest for me, because she would have her snack routine before bed and curl up next to me for the night. Saturday was a tough day for me, but at least now I can talk about her and think about her without the floodworks. People at work keep asking me if I will get another dog like her and I just don't think they get it. I could not even consider another dog right now and maybe not for a long time. I do have two other dogs to keep me company, but I need some time to adjust to life without Callie. I was not able to go to a party last weekend because I was too depressed and the host of the party sent me the kindest sympathy card. I know there are some very kind and understanding people that can relate to my pain and I do appreciate everyone's kind words. I just wish that I could go back in time and undo that day. Would it be great if we got one day back to redo? Thank you again for caring.

dldbrou Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 11

Yesterday my vet sent me a letter telling me how sorry he was for the loss of Callie. I know it has affected him as well, because this was his first loss of a healthy dog that he did surgery on. The nights are the hardest for me, because she would have her snack routine before bed and curl up next to me for the night. Saturday was a tough day for me, but at least now I can talk about her and think about her without the floodworks. People at work keep asking me if I will get another dog like her and I just don't think they get it. I could not even consider another dog right now and maybe not for a long time. I do have two other dogs to keep me company, but I need some time to adjust to life without Callie. I was not able to go to a party last weekend because I was too depressed and the host of the party sent me the kindest sympathy card. I know there are some very kind and understanding people that can relate to my pain and I do appreciate everyone's kind words. I just wish that I could go back in time and undo that day. Wouldn't it be great if we got one day back to redo? Thank you again for caring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%