Jagged Edges On Roses

Decorating By Deana1003 Updated 18 Dec 2006 , 5:55pm by doescakestoo

Deana1003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana1003 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #1 of 10

For some reason when I make my roses the edges of the petals are never smooth and even. I've checked to see if there's something in my tips, but there's nothing in them blocking the icing from coming out. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

9 replies
Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:35am
post #2 of 10

I have the same problem and haven't been able to figure it out either. Is the frosting too stiff maybe?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:37am
post #3 of 10

I had that happen when my icing was to dry. Not sure if anything else causes it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:41am
post #4 of 10

You can add some p-i-p-i-n-g - g-e-l piping gel or Karo to your icing and that will help prevent the "jagged" edges. I like them to be a little jagged, they look more realistic to me that way.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:43am
post #5 of 10

Usually this is because your icing is too stiff. Try thinning it a bit.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 10

Actually, my Wilton instructor told me that when you have that problem your icing need to be remixed. Just mix it up a little more and it makes a big difference, I tried it, and it really does work.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 10

I had that problem when my icing was too thick...seems like to me I make the best roses when my icing is almost medium.....they are harder to do though as they try and fall over since they are so soft (but no jagged edges).

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 10

Your icing is either too thick, or you are not squeezing with enough pressure.

Veray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Veray Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 10

I've read the following tips that have helped me with rose petal edges --

Use a butter knife to very slightly widen the opening of the rose tip.

Angle the narrow end of the rose tip slightly away from you.

Add just a bit of liquid to stiff icing, but keep it stiffer than medium so the roses don't collapse.

Practice, and hang in there - for anyone who is new at doing roses, it really does get better once you feel more comfortable and can do them more quickly and smoothly.

You might also want to experiment with some other tips, like tip 97 or tip 61, and once you're comfortable with those, go back to a more traditional tip (like 104). Tip 61 makes a fatter petal, and a fatter rose. Tip 97 makes petals with curved edges.

You could experiment with one change at a time and see what works for you.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 10

Something else you may want to try is spatula stripping the bag with a thinner icing at the tip of the rose to get the tip softer and not broken. Also add some piping gel to the tip of the rose bag to soften the breakage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%