Writing Cheats

Decorating By gothgate Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 1:03pm by SILVERCAT

gothgate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothgate Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 21

i'm going to be full of questions today... it's baking crunch time for me and i've got 8 cakes, 3 CCCs, and 6 different cookie recipes to make before friday.

my writing skills are terrible. so i thought i'd try making a plaque with ri. i printed in reverse what i wanted to say, traced it in red ri. let it dry hard. then flooded over it with thin white ri. i got a runny mess.

the letters can't be too big, i have to fit "Happy Holidays" in a space about 6"x1".

when i tried making the letters individually, they just broke apart, mostly into pieces where the 'joints' were (where you'd pick up the tip to make another part of the letter).

are there other cheats (or better ways of doing the ri on parch one) for getting pretty writing for your cake?

20 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 21

I have nice handwriting but not with icing. I do a lot of gumpaste plaques and print out my message, glue it onto the plaque with clear corn syrup thinned with a tiny bit of water and painted on with a dry artists paintbrush. I also use Tappit alphabet molds and make the lettering of fondant or gumpaste, but only if I have a cake surface large enough to use that type of lettering. What I am seeing quite a bit lately are script writing messages done with a clay gun or extruder, piped in cursive, wires in the bottom at both ends of the name, allowed to dry and then pushed into the cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 21

Have you thought about using the stencil presses. They just make an indention into the icing and you trace it.

Someone on here said they do this with piping gel as well. They make the design or words and use it to press into the icing then they trace over it.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 21

One idea would be to make a small fondant/gumpaste ribbon banner and get some edible markers and just write on that with a coordinating colour..Michael's has the markers if you have no time to get them elsewhere...have done it and looks quite OK.

Just let the fondant and/or gumpaste banner set for a while before you write on it.

HTH
Jane

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 21

What's CCC?

gothgate Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 21

hmmm... i see i'm probably not going to be able to do it without spending some money. i don't have any of those things except fondant.

markers on fondant sounds like it'll probably be about the least expensive way to go. i hardly ever need to write on a cake, so investing in stencils would be nice, but not practical right now. i've been looking for gum paste at walmart for weeks and they don't have it. so when i go to michael's for the markers i'll prolly pick up some to experiment with.

btw... are those socks socks or cake? they look neat!

gothgate Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 21

ccc is a cupcake cake i'm making one of santa, one of a xmas tree and one of a wreath for my kids' school party.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 21

My handwriting is terrible icon_cry.gif but I'm doing a little better since I started using tip #4, the writing is larger than I like but---oh well icon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif

Since you are using a plaque, why not use a nice font and print your message, surrended it with a pretty border on copying paper, cut out and glue it to the plaque since it will not be laying directly on the cake.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 21

I was also having a delima with writing on cakes. It always seemed like I either didn't have all my letters the same size, or they weren't spaced even on my cake. If you look at my car cake picture, I wasn't completly happy with that writing because there is more space after 'DJ' than there is before 'happy' & my letters are uneven. I did a lot of brainstorming & I've just found something that works great for me. My regular handwriting is OK, so I take a piece of wax paper &, using a ruler, draw my lines to write on. I then write my message & after I'm finished writing, I gently lay it over my cake to see if it looks OK. If everything's good, I take if back off, flip the wax paper over & lay it on a flat surface. Next I take a piping bag with a tip & fill it with piping gel. I trace over the back of the writing (but not the lines that have been drawn) & when I'm finished tracing, I lay the finished message over the cake & take a small paint brush (sold in the cake decorating section) & brush over it. This will leave clear writing on your cake. You can then take a tip that is one size larger that the one you used with the piping gel & trace over the gel with your icing. This takes a little time to do, but if you're having trouble with your writing, it really gives your cake a good look when it's finished. Sorry I don't have a photo posted to show this, but I've been having trouble posting photos for over a month now. If I can ever get anything to load, I'll be sure to post a photo. Good luck with your writing!!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 21

I have nice handwriting, but there are some times when I print in a nice font on the computer and put the paper scrapbook style in a plastic recipe sleeve, then put on the cake. I pipe a neat border around the plastic so you dont see the edges. This worked wonders with an extremely long Bible verse at graduation last spring. I really like that method because it takes the nervousness out of writing by hand.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 21

Here is some tricks that I teach. 1. Write on the cake before decorating with the same color that the cake was iced with. You can catch your misstakes then and correct. Go over with the color you want afterwards. 2. Use a ruler and line up the words. It will feel like writing on paper that way. 3. Use dental floss to lightly make the lines if you don't have a Wilton comb (that looks like a ruler- the points will help with lining up the words) 3. Practice this technique: do writing excercises with these lines- lllll //// \\\\\\\\\\ (((( )))) then OOOO on the back of a cookie sheet or on wax paper. This will help you with the feel of the icing. When doing the lines attach the begining with icing lift up and "pull" the icing in the direction you are wanting. Then attach at the end. This will make a smoother letter in the end. I hated writing on the cakes until I learned this and practiced (LOTS) Now I can make the words look really nice on cakes. HTH

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 21

What great ideas. Thanks for all the tips everyone. My writing is pretty shabby too!

gothgate Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 21

great idea about using the background color first and a ruler. lots of good ideas to try tonight, thanks!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 21

I have also read here that you can make a template that you can press into the icing to make the indents and then write over with your icing.

Using plastic sheets and a glue gun, print out the words, then revers them and with a glue gun write over the words a few times until you have a raised version of the words. Then you can just press it into the cake. There is problably a better description on how to do this if you search CC for it. I haven't tried it, but plan to eventually.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 8:43pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Using plastic sheets and a glue gun, print out the words, then revers them and with a glue gun write over the words a few times until you have a raised version of the words. Then you can just press it into the cake. There is problably a better description on how to do this if you search CC for it. I haven't tried it, but plan to eventually.

That's a great idea. I've heard of this technique using royal icing, but the glue would be much faster!

My writing is also not so good, it always looks a bit off even when I've even used the pin prick guide method, but it still doesn't seem to line up right. Lately, I've been doing fondant banners and writing on them. That way I can just re-do them without messing up the icing. Like in my cars cake here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rezzycakes&cat=0&pos=6

I guess I'll try the glue trick next.
-Rezzy

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 21

I make a fbct and make a plaque of sorts. I do the lettering with a small tip size 2 and then after it is on the cake go over it with a 3 so it is not flat. I also use the letter stencils and the poking through the paper with a pin thing too.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 21

I personally would be concerned about the glue. You have no idea where or what was used to make it. I try to make sure that any thing that touches the cake/icing is not any thing but edible. I would stick to RI it is the safest method that way. JMHO

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 21

One of the local grocery stores was going to charge me $9 to print a message for me on a frosting sheet if I brought in a copy of the printed message. Maybe that could be an alternative; check with grocery store or a bakery.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 7:59pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by debiashwood

I personally would be concerned about the glue. You have no idea where or what was used to make it. I try to make sure that any thing that touches the cake/icing is not any thing but edible. I would stick to RI it is the safest method that way. JMHO

Maybe if you're concerned about the make up of the glue, you could lay saran wrap over it, then press it in the cake. We all know saran wrap is approved to touch your food. And it's clingy enough to stick to the glue and plastic sheet. That might work.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:17am
post #20 of 21

I have used the same method as described with the RI, but used candy melts instead. Once they harden, the letters can be gone over again to re-inforce them-this would be on the back and not be seen. I like to put a few dots of icing on the back of the letters before I flip the message over and place it on the cake to help it stick. I have used Merkens in various colors,or candy melts in white with a bit of paste color or candy color to get the color I want. Makes writing so much easier!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 21

I have HORRIBLE hand writing and I saw this press that Wiltons puts out. I got and will be trying it out this weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%