Can I Mix Peanut Butter Cups Into Cake Mix Batter?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm by KathleenR

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make a chocolate cake with peanut butter cups mixed into the batter.

Has anyone tried mixing in peanut butter cups (I would take the mini cups and cut them in half) into the cake batter?

My DH's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I thought this cake with a peanut butter filling and a ganache frosting would be scrumptious.

I don't want to burn the cake but adding the peanut butter cups.

Thanks

12 replies
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 13

mmm....i don't know! But it sounds awesome!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 13

I never tried it; but I don't see why not! It sounds very yummy. As long as it's for your own family, it's a good time to try it.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 13

You might want to toss them in a little big of flour before you add them to the batter. That should help prevent the peanut butter cups from sinking to the bottom of the pans.

You could also mix some chopped PB cups into butter cream and use it as a filling between 2 layers of cake.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:25am
post #5 of 13

Here is another thought, I have made a peanut butter cookie dough cake. I take chocolate cake batter put it into the pan, and then mix up some peanut butter cookies and put the dough into the cake in dollops in random spots. It doesn't sink to the bottom, and you have that nice PB cookie inside a cake. Almost the best of both worlds. My family and taste testers really liked this one.

To get back to your question, I would toss them in some of the flour/mix before adding the wet ingredients, and once its all mixed together, put them in and bake. I can't wait to hear how your cake comes out. It really does sound good though. Let us know how it goes. icon_biggrin.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 13

Sounds like a good idea to me! I agree with coating them in flour first. Let us know how it turns out!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Here is another thought, I have made a peanut butter cookie dough cake. I take chocolate cake batter put it into the pan, and then mix up some peanut butter cookies and put the dough into the cake in dollops in random spots. It doesn't sink to the bottom, and you have that nice PB cookie inside a cake. Almost the best of both worlds. My family and taste testers really liked this one.

Oooo!!! This sounds so yummy!!! icon_smile.gif

Niserise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niserise Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 13

I made a cake almost like this just yesterday. The cake was dark chocolate, with peanut butter cream cheese filling, with chopped peanut butter cups in the filling. The outside was dark chocolate ganache with mini peanut butter cups all around the top edge. It was DELICIOUS, and everyone at the party said it was one of the best cake they had ever tasted.

I think if you put the peanut butter cups in the batter they would act like chocolate chip in cookies. They would melt, but probably keep their shape. Go for it!

Niserise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niserise Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 13

How about adding a small amount of batter to the pan, then adding a layer of peanut butter cups, then covering the cups with the rest of the batter. The cups would stay in place and there would be an even layer of cups in each slice.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:57am
post #10 of 13

I mixed the mini peanut butter cups (cut into halves) with a little flour and mixed them into the batter (once batter was in the pan, so that they got evenly distributed).

The cakes turned out well.

kpargola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpargola Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:19am
post #11 of 13

Wow that sounds yummy. Now I'm hungry. I imagine chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter cup surprise in the middle! MMM...

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #12 of 13

My husband will LOOOOVE this cake! I guess I hadn't even thought about throwing those in!!

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 13

These are great ideas for all the extra Halloween candy that we will all have soon. Maybe a Kit Kat cake!! I just gained 10 lbs thinking of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%