Mudcake Questions- Asap

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 16 Dec 2006 , 9:48pm by sarzoemom

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 7

I have 2 mudcakes in the oven now and I have a few questions about it. I have never made them before and when I finished the batter , it was more like a thick syrup. Is that the way it should be? Also, what temperature do most of you bake yours at? It said 375 but that seems too high. I have it at 350. Also, how do you know when it is done? Sorry for all the questions but it is so expensive to make, I don't want to ruin it.

6 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 7

mud cakes seem to be all I get asked to make..!!!! I have just made 10 of them for christmas cakes.
And yes the mix is much, much thicker than most mixes.
This being said....you test "cooked status" as for any cake....instered skewer should come out cleanly.
As for oven temp I turn mine down to about 150- 140..I think this converts to about 375 -280

I then let cool completely in pan before turning out.

hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

sarzoemom Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Torki. I am just nervous about them so I thought I would ask while I wait.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 7

With my mud cake's i cook them on the specified temp for about 1 hour then test with a skewer and if still a little under-cooked turn my oven down and leave for a further 10 - 20 minutes.

for me, once i can smell that cooked cake smell i usually know that the cake is almost ready. this never fails me....

i flip mine onto my hand (if not to big) and then quickly flip back onto some cling wrap on the bench wrap and put it in the freezer. i like working with mud cakes when they are frozen or half frozen.

kylie

sarzoemom Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 7

Also, what do you cover them with? BC, fondant or ganache?

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzoemom

Also, what do you cover them with? BC, fondant or ganache?

Mudcakes are very versatile and can be covered in marzipan, fondant, ganache or buttercream. I've covered in all these things except marzipan, but i've tasted a mud covered in marzipan and it was delicious. Probably cause i love almond and the almond and chocolate go very well together.
I bake my mudcakes at 160C(320F), my recipes listed on CC all say 180C(356F), but that is far too high, and i've not been able to get that changed.
I would say you need to turn your oven down a little. Mudcakes usually take a long time to bake, with temperature that high you'll get a lot of crust all around the cake.
Also the batter is meant to be like a very thick syrup.
good luck
Cheers
Nati
PS: im talking about a recipe from scratch not a box mix here, not sure how the box mix muds are supposed to turn out.

sarzoemom Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Nati. I used the recipe in the 3cakertiers file. I just tookthe last 2 out of the oven. The first 2 were in flat round pans. I turned them out and since one of them is for us, I had to trim the top for a taste. I am in chocolate heaven! I also am getting a headache from the sugar overload! Unbelievable! I like the marzipan idea and I may use it to fill the ornament cake when I put the 2 pieces together. Whatever I do, I will post some pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%