How Do I Make Sure The Sides Stay Up?

Decorating By mme Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm by DianeLM

mme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mme Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:40am
post #1 of 10

I'm hoping to make the cake in my sketch for a Halloween party. I'm planning on using mmf for the sides. My biggest worry (after a previous disaster) is that the sides will fall off the cake because they won't hang off of the top.

What should I do to avoid a disaster? Should I use gumpaste for the sides? If I use MMF, should I make the sides in advance - if so, how far in advance?

Thanks in advance for the help!
LL

9 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 10

I'd use gumpaste!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #3 of 10

Just an idea, but could you do the fondant to lay over the top and make a separate ruffle along top for the edge, if it was the same color it will blend in. You could make a design to go on the bag that could cover the seam. I am not sure if I am explaining it correct, I can see it in my head. Don't know that this helps. Good luck

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #4 of 10

I think you could get away with using fondant...I'd give it at LEAST four to five days....I did something similar with my castle cake where the top of the walls extended past the top of the cake. I've done the cake 4 times now and never a problem (Oh, yeah...and I would flip the pieces a few times a day to help dry on both sides- and a fan wouldn't hurt either).

Good luck on your cake...I love the design!

-Michelle

mme Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:15am
post #5 of 10

Thanks so much for all the advice - it's always nice to have lots of options!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 10

I'd try making with chocolate!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 10

that's what I was gonna say. try chocolate. I would even consider dowels or wood skewers to help hold it together.

mme Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 10

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for chocolate! Where would I find tutorials or information about that?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:04am
post #9 of 10
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 10

If you roll your fondant thin enough, you shouldn't have any problems. I'd suggest two pieces. One wrapped around the front and the other wrapped around the back. Since the fondant will be thin, place some spongy foam or other former type thing against the top of the bag where it extends past the top of the cake to hold it up while it dries. See the cake in my avatar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%