My Feelings Are Hurt............

Decorating By stacyyarger Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm by pidge

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #1 of 50

I'm not sure Why when people here on CC look at your cake pictures that cann't comment on them it only takes a few mins. if you look at a picture WHY cann't you guys comment. I have taught myself how to do cake decorating and I am VERY proud of myself and I would like peoples feedback.

Thanks Again,
Stacy

49 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #2 of 50

Because if you had to stop to comment on every cake that you looked at then it would take forever. I love to relax and look at all the new uploads for the day. I would not like to have to come up with comments for every cake I look at.

Also, I usually do not comment on a cake unless I feel like it is one I feel deserves a comment. And that does not mean it has to be a perfect cake. I comment on ones that catch my attention or have certain details that I like or ideas I like. I want my comments to be real, not made up.

This is all in my humble opinion. You did ask "why"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 50

Word for word what Kathy said.

A comment that you get from me is real, sincere and genuine. It's not "filler".

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:14am
post #4 of 50

There is a sticky addressing this very issue....perhaps it will shed some light: icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-423993.html

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:09am
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Because if you had to stop to comment on every cake that you looked at then it would take forever. I love to relax and look at all the new uploads for the day. I would not like to have to come up with comments for every cake I look at.

Also, I usually do not comment on a cake unless I feel like it is one I feel deserves a comment. And that does not mean it has to be a perfect cake. I comment on ones that catch my attention or have certain details that I like or ideas I like. I want my comments to be real, not made up.

This is all in my humble opinion. You did ask "why"

Ditto to you and indydebi.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:14am
post #6 of 50

I do comment a lot; however, it's only when I have time and feel inspired by the artist, cake, day, life.......who knows what!

Commenting on all cakes we browse!? Impossible.

I don't even have time to upload my OWN cake photos.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:28am
post #7 of 50

I have dial-up (okay, don't laugh) so it takes time to comment, etc. So it's not about the cake, it's about the computer. icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #8 of 50

I agree with Adven68 that this has been a bit of a sticky issue. I always try to post comments on pics that I look at but everyone doesn't. People come here for many different reasons and I respect that. I must say that it is next to impossible to look at every picture here on CC. I wouldn't let this bother you. Continue to be proud of yourself!

Elle

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #9 of 50

I got disapointed the first couple of times I posted pics. But when you go look at "My Photos", you can see how many times your cakes are viewed AND how many comments. I can't believe how many people have viewed my cakes and let me also say that it makes me feel good to know people are looking. I don't expect them to comment if they don't have anything to say.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:53am
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you Debi, very well said. I look at lots of pics when I have time and I leave comments when I have something to say. Might be about the color, technique, flowers, design or maybe just to encourage. But I don't feel I have to comment on every one. I don't expect others to do it for mine. I don't want "filler" comments. I give genuine and that's how I like it. I'm not near as talented as many here but I like most of my work and I appreciate input and encouragement. Activate the "notify me when I get a comment" feature and give it time. Comments will start rolling in.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:53am
post #11 of 50

Stacy, are YOU happy with what you do? I'd guess yes, since you're proud enough of your work to post it.

You need to realize that life isn't all about what other people think about what you do or say. If you're satisfied, then you've satisfied your toughest critic!

I don't fret and worry about what people here think or say about what I've posted. I post to share what I've done to help or inspire others, as a pay back if you will for the help and inspiration I've gotten.

If you like it, great! If not, tough noogies....kinda like most things in life:
Some will, some won't --so what!

The quicker you stop relying on others to verify your worth, the happier, more centered, satisfied woman you'll be.

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:37am
post #12 of 50

Thank You and I do understand what you are saying!! My point is if you would look at someone cake Why not comment or it too.

Thanks
Stacy

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:46am
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyyarger

Thank You and I do understand what you are saying!! My point is if you would look at someone cake Why not comment or it too.

Thanks
Stacy

I ditto kathyscc and what everyone else has said! As far as 'if you would look at someone's cake, why not comment"....well, looking and posting are two different things! Even with my fast connection, the time it takes to comment is sometimes really ridiculous....and lots of times returns an error and doesn't post anyway....and that's even if the thumbnail opens at all! Sometimes I really want to comment and just give up!

If there's a picture in particular that you would really like feedback on, I would suggest placing a note in the forums asking for critique and posting the link to your picture or just tell folks to look in your photos! I've done that with great results/honest feedback!

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #14 of 50
Quote:

Thanks
Stacy

It takes 10 seconds to look at a picture, but a minute or more to post a meaningful comment. If I have five minutes to spare I can look at 30 pictures, but if I were to post a comment on each one I could only look at 4 or 5. So it is a matter of priority. My priority is to see as many pictures as I can in the shortest amount of time and leave comments on the ones that truly inspire me.

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #15 of 50

Don't let your feelings be hurt. A lot of times people (ME) are looking for something specific and just don't have time to comment on EVERY picture.

If you pass someone on the street and you like their hair, clothes etc, to you comment to them? Kinda the same thing in my eyes.

HTH

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaluda

Quote:

Thanks
Stacy

It takes 10 seconds to look at a picture, but a minute or more to post a meaningful comment. If I have five minutes to spare I can look at 30 pictures, but if I were to post a comment on each one I could only look at 4 or 5. So it is a matter of priority. My priority is to see as many pictures as I can in the shortest amount of time and leave comments on the ones that truly inspire me.

Exactly what I was thinking. There are so many pics that are added every day. I look through the "uncommented" and find myself doing the "filler' thing. icon_redface.gif That's usually when it's time to stop commenting.

By the way stacy, your cakes are beautiful.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 50

I prefer to use the "viewed photo" as my judge on how interesting the cake is. If I get one comment, I'm generally pretty happy. Sure, I'd love a ton but really, not everyone's purpose of looking through photos is the same everyday. In all honesty, if I was forced to make a comment for every photo I viewed, I'd stop viewing photos. Comments should be sincere which means they also should be spontaneous and cautiously used.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonsmommy

Don't let your feelings be hurt. A lot of times people (ME) are looking for something specific and just don't have time to comment on EVERY picture.

If you pass someone on the street and you like their hair, clothes etc, to you comment to them? Kinda the same thing in my eyes.
HTH

I do. Still, I'm usually walking when I make the comment. It hasn't really interrupted my stride.

Like a PP stated, sometimes a particular detail someone might be looking for....they've done a search that happens to include one of your cakes due to key words. It gets clicked on..."Oh, no, that ain't the one I'm looking for..." Then, off to the next thumbnail.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

Actually I talk to strangers a lot. On the street, in stores, in church. I tell men and women they smell nice, look good in that color, pretty hair, beautiful smile.... Sometimes I comment on the go and other times I stop to comment. It's just what I like to do. It's the same with cake pics. I leave comments when I feel like it and have something to say. It's the sincerity that matters to me, not the volume of the comments.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 50

OK--I confess I don't comment on photos or even posts as often as I'd like to because I'm sneaking in CC at my real job and have to minimize the screen far too often... HEE HEE--I think IndyDebi once said that she feels complimented every time someone takes the time to even look at her cakes because the thumbnail was deemed interesting enough for the viewer to look at the picture big size--I'm going with that philosophy!!

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #21 of 50

stacyyarger

I agree for the most part on the time issue but I think it should be mandatory to leave a comment if you are saving it as a favorite. I think Its commone courtesy.

On a diffrent note - happy birthday soon. I am also a oct 15th girl! icon_biggrin.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 50

If you really need that much feedback, then I agree with a previous post about leaving a comment on your descriptive about wanting feedback, comments, etc. And be patient. Sometimes I load a cake picture when it's a very busy time on the site, and it instantly gets bumped off the front page, so it may take a while to get noticed or commented on.

Personally, I can't comment on every cake I view here. I don't think anyone can. This has been addressed many times, and everyone has a different perspective, but I've learned not to get too hung up on comments. If you need some critique, then ask directly for it.

Angie

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

I got disapointed the first couple of times I posted pics. But when you go look at "My Photos", you can see how many times your cakes are viewed AND how many comments. I can't believe how many people have viewed my cakes and let me also say that it makes me feel good to know people are looking. I don't expect them to comment if they don't have anything to say.

I feel the same way. I haven't been here very long and I don't have a lot of pictures posted here. I have gotten very few comments on the ones I have posted, but I don't let that bother me. Would I like more comments? Sure, everyone likes to have their work commented on, but I'm not going to "fish" for them. I don't post a lot of comments myself. I check for the new uploads for the day and a cake catches my eye, I click on it, I may not always leave a comment, if something about the design really catches my eye - I do, but I think just viewing the cake shows that it got noticed.

I, for one, post my cakes because I am proud of them, if someone wants to comment - that's great, if not - that's okay too. Just because someone doesn't post a comment doesn't mean that cake isn't inspiring to them and it could be something that will inspire them to create something in the future and make it their own, just because you posted your cake!

Sometimes when I do post comments I may ask a question and it's not always answered or acknowledged. I have learned that if I have a specific question/comment about the cakes - I'll PM the person. I have commented on cakes where there are over 100 comments, but the cake poster/maker never makes an "appearance" to even say thank you, answer questions, etc. Some do, but some don't.

Personally, I wouldn't even dare to post a cake of mine unless I feel that I did my best on it, but that's just me. I don't think it shows that anyone is less of a cake decorator to have 1 comment vs. 100 comments. I have even put cakes in my favorites without commenting because the design is inspiring to me.

Edited to add: Sometimes I am looking for a specific design, or inspiration on a design and I don't have time to comment on everything. For ex. my grandson wants a ship cake for his birthday, I did a search for those types of cakes, but didn't always comment on them, because there are a ton of em out there. If someone can use my cakes for inspiration, then that's a great compliment, although I may not know it, it still makes me feel good to have a lot of views.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #24 of 50

Hey, I, too "sneak" it in at work. I don't usually comment on cakes, however, I only look at the ones that have caught my eye. I think that should make you feel good that yours are good enough to warrant a look. I don't feel it should be mandatory to leave a comment if you are saving in favorites, isn't the fact that you thought it was interesting, wonderful, pretty, well-done, creative, etc., etc. enough to save enough?

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #25 of 50

A view is a compliment.

A favorite is an extreme compliment.

I would think both of those things would be much more important than having a bunch of people saying, "Pretty cake!"

I have spent hours looking at cakes here. I've maybe left 5 comments ever. Why? I am extremely inexperienced, and I usually have nothing else to say.

If your cakes were on display at your local mall, and you noticed that several people were walking by your cake, wouldn't you be complimented? And if out of all of those looks, a couple of people said something to you that was meaningful, wouldn't that be great?

I'm way to sensitive, but I've learned if I try to think the best of people and not count on the approval of strangers, I can see the good where I used to see bad.

A save is surely a much better compliment than a 2 word repeat of what others have said.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonhouseofraymond

stacyyarger

I agree for the most part on the time issue but I think it should be mandatory to leave a comment if you are saving it as a favorite. I think Its commone courtesy.
On a diffrent note - happy birthday soon. I am also a oct 15th girl! icon_biggrin.gif

Whoaaaaaaaa... think about that for a minute. Isn't saving to favorites the highest compliment you can get?

Mandatory? What next, CC cops?

This horse died a long time ago. Quit beating it! If you don't like the number of comments your pictures get, quit posting them.

And, while we're on the topic, it's pretty obvious only positive perky comments are welcome. I would love to actually give an honest critique once in a while when it's asked for, but know it would turn ugly.

I learned the most from professors/teachers who actually took the time to point out and show me how to correct my mistakes.

*done*

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #27 of 50

I'm too new to decorating and feel like I can't comment because I don't know enough! But I love to look and I do save some because I want to be able to do that "some day". To me, getting views and put into your favorites would be good enough. To get raving compliments would be "icing on the cake" so to speak.
Peggy

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #28 of 50
Quote:

I'm not sure Why when people here on CC look at your cake pictures that cann't comment on them it only takes a few mins. if you look at a picture WHY cann't you guys comment. I have taught myself how to do cake decorating and I am VERY proud of myself and I would like peoples feedback.

Thanks Again,
Stacy

Stacy, I am going to stick my neck out here on a possible chopping block of "being to honest" but you did ask WHY so I am going to type out what is going through my mind as I read your post. Now mind you my friends and family will tell you I am known for being brutally honest!

First of all you and I along with everyone else is simply one little fishie in a great big pond. There is absolutely no possible way you, me or anyone else can possible view, let alone comment, on even 1/2 of the photos coming through cake central on a daily basis, and if you can then you have entirely to much time on your hands or your life is a wreck and not being taken care of.
I can speak on this subject with some experience as many others here can as well~~Sweetie, I am a mother of two daughters ages 29 and 25, one of whom is very strong and confident in all she does and could care less if you think she did a good job because she knows she did a good job, therefore she does not need you to tell her how good or bad she did. She is confident in herself even when she fails because she knows she gave it her best shot, and will try again until she is satisfied if necessary. She cares deeply what other people think of her work therefore she goes all out to do her best.
The other is always looking for a pat on the back for everything she does in life. The "look at me me me me me" syndrome. It is a real turnoff that most people do not like, kind of like the spoiled rotten child always screaming for the attention.
Toughen up your skin and realize this is life and you and I are only little tiny specks in the whole picture. Be strong and confident in all you do and all you are for yourself!! You will not need verification from others.
Yes, it is nice for someone to comment on a photo and it makes you feel kind of special when you read how nice they think your cake looks, but did you not feel that way when you finished the cake? If you will find satisfaction and happiness in what you do inside yourself first then others comments and pats on the back really won't matter. My cakes and your cakes are average cakes on CC at best so they are swimming in midstream with 95% of the other CC members.
There are a thimble full of WOW factor cake decorators compared to a whole lot of me's and you's. Please don't take offense when you upload a picture of your latest gorgeous kitchen creation! If you were happy with it enough to upload it for others to see then call it good and smile everytime the "times viewed" count goes up, which is as good as a comment or a pat on the back in itself.

Please do not take offense to anything I have said but do realize this is life and if you don't get used to it then you will never be happy with what others do or do not have to say about you and your work. Just buck up and be happy with what you are doing and if you can't be then quit doing it. Your cake decorating abilities are obviously good or you would have no comments on your cakes EVER, except the ones given by a gallery support member just doing their job, like me. I am a gallery support member to do just that, support every picture with at least one comment so no one can say their photo didn't get a comment. Is this REALLY the kind of comments you want? Or comments because you started this thread? I don't think it is. In my opinion it is better to get uncommented view counts over comments left by a gallery support member just because your picture hadn't been commented on yet. And let me say this, just because it hasn't been commented on doesn't mean it is not some gorgeous work of art that should have tons of comments left on it. All it means is there are thousands of pictures running through CC all of the time and most of them get lost in the mainstream of things, naturally so. Don't make more out of your pictures not having lots of comments than needs to be. If you have more than one comment then you should be thankful that more than one person spotted it on it's way through the swim into glory where it almost instantly gets lost after it crosses the front page. We can not expect more than this in a community as large as CC!!!

I SWEAR this was written with love, respect, and totally good intentions for you and anyone else. icon_smile.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #29 of 50

I just thank God that the members take the time to view my cakes. If a comment is left, that's great too.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Word for word what Kathy said.

I agree also.

You know, I've had some cakes I worked really hard on and uploaded them and hardly even got any views, much less comments (I think the biggest one like that was a Philly Phanatic cake because obviously nobody not from Philly cares, LOL!). But I don't do this for CC, I do this for myself, my family, and my customers. If my customers are happy and my husband thinks I did great, then that is most important. Of course its fun to get raves from the CC community because its a high honor to get praise here...but its not what makes or breaks my day...ya know? I know that my customers like my work and that is what matters most.

When I comment on others, I also comment when something really "wows" me and I want to leave genuine admiration for the person. I think everyone here does great but with four boys and my own cakes to do, I am not able to go through leaving "Great" "Good job" on every photo. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't want that on my own photos...I only want comments from someone who truly enjoys my photo, not one duly written because they think I wanted something said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%