Please Help! Desparately Need An Orchid!

Decorating By jescapades Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 12:41am by eneq

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:05am
post #1 of 15

i have my most difficult cake due on the 27th and i was going to buy a beautiful orange princess orchid from pfeil & holing. i had to order $50 worth of stuff to place the order, so i bought some other things i really didn't need. i get the box the other day, and no orchid!!! icon_mad.gif it says it's backordered!

so i called today to ask if they have a date that it will be back in stock. she kept me on hold for 15 minutes, i got so frustrated, so i hung up!

i have been looking all day online for a replacement so i can get it in time, and i can't find anything anywhere!

i need an orange orchid quickly and i don't know what to do! does anyone know where i can find one? please please please?!?!

below is the orchid i need.
LL

14 replies
golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #2 of 15

www.caljavaonline
www.discountsugarflowers.com

They both have gumpaste flowers. Most of theirs are white and you would have to color them yourself, if you're willing to do so.

jescapades Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 15

thanks golfgirl. i've actually been to both of those sites and can't find what i need.

i'm starting to freak out a little because this is a big order and it's for an actual customer (not friends or family) and i really need this flower! icon_cry.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 15

What kind of orchid is that?

Does it have to be that exact one, or just have those colorings?

jescapades Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 15

they called it a princess orchid on their web site. it doesn't have to be that exact one, necessarily, but i definitely need those colors. the colors of the cake will be gold, deep red, orange and white.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 15

Maybe you can combine the center of and orchid cutter and a bigger rose cutter and make them yourself...they look pretty easy to do..

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 15

I know you said you already looked at discount sugar flowers and they didn't have what you need, but these two look fairly close to me if you just buy orange and red petal dusts to color it yourself...
http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/detail.aspx?ID=413
http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/detail.aspx?ID=733

And this one looks even closer:
http://www.caljavaonline.com/orchid1-ab-wh-lg.htm

But if those just wont work for some reason, do you know of any bakeries in your area that make their own gum paste flowers? Maybe you could just buy one from someone like that?

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 15

what about asking Stewart from longisland who customizes flowers to your specifications...Im sure if you sent him a picture of what you are looking for he could make it for you, he makes georgous flowers. Ill look for his site.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 15

found ithttp://www.sugarflorals.com/index.html Im sure you would even get it when you needed it.. He respondes quite quickly to emails..

jescapades Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #10 of 15

thanks for your help, everyone. i don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this is such an important cake and i don't trust myself yet to make or color a flower. it looks like stewart does beautiful work, but his site says you need a minimum $50 order. i can't afford $50 on one flower. icon_sad.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:50am
post #11 of 15

Try Cakes by Sam?? I just got a box of white ones from her, ordered Friday, received on Wed., and they're beautiful. I don't know if she has colored ones, and probably not orange.

I bet you could brush the color on--try buying more than one (I got a box of 10) and practice painting a bit; you can do it! icon_smile.gif

jescapades Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:30am
post #12 of 15

okay, you have all got my confidence up a little... i might be willing to buy some white ones and try my hand at painting. i didn't really think about buying more than one and practicing... duh! icon_confused.gif what a great idea!

since it's obvious i won't be able to get the one i thought i could, i have to have a plan b. i just guess i need a little more confidence.

thanks everyone! you are all so helpful and i don't know what i would do without you!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #13 of 15

Good for you. I find they're so inexpensive to buy (and so perfect) that I don't think I'll bother learning how to make them, because I am useless at gumpaste flowers (my opinion).

Of course, I haven't tried painting one yet, either. The box is still in the cabinet for a cake this weekend that it turns out didn't need the GP orchids. You want them? haha Seriously, check Cakes by Sam's box of 10; I think they were very affordable, even with shipping, and way worth it and shipped in perfect shape.

Someone else said practice painting on a piece of plain gumpaste first, to get even more of a feel for the brush etc before applying to a flower. Let us know how it goes!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 15

I think that a lot of sites get their flowers from the 2 sites I listed, because I've seen the same flowers at other sites and they cost more than they do at the sites I listes.

That being said, make sure you get petal dust! Just add color a layer at a time so that you arrive at exactly the color you want. Like they always say, you can always add but you can't take away!!!!

I think you can do it. Just give it a shot. Get some good brushes and petal dust and give it a go!!!

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:41am
post #15 of 15

how big of an orchid is that? my Hobby Lobby sells those cattleya orchids that look just like that..only they are white. maybe u could buy a box and try coloring with the petal dust. i colored some for my sister and it was easier than i thought. the ones at HL are maybe 2" or so and costs around 5-6 bucks for a pack of 6 orchids. not bad really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%