Ice Skating Cake

Decorating By esq1031 Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm by tonedna

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:01am
post #1 of 16

I am trying to get some ideas for my god-daughter's birthday cake that I want to do. She ice skates and I thought that would be a cute theme for the cake. Seeing as though I am very new to cake decorating, I was perusing the gallery for kid's cakes and I didn't see anything related to ice skating. If anyone has any advice or know of any related links I would appreciate it. I need all the help I can get. The party is not until December so I have time to play around with the idea. TIA.

Jackie

15 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:40am
post #2 of 16

You can go to earlenes cakes website and find instructions on how to make an ice skating cake there. The only catch is that she sells the instructions for approx. $8.00, she also post a picture of one she has done. I hope this helps icon_smile.gif
Good luck!!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:41am
post #3 of 16

Correction: the price is $20.00 sorry.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:17am
post #4 of 16

$20 !!!!!, man, I am in the wrong part of this business!!

Since as you say, you are new, you might think about making a cut-out cake, using a sheet cake and cutting out the pattern of an iceskate, then making a gumpaste "blade" and sticking it in the bottom of the skate. I don't know if I would go for anything stand up if you don't have much experience. I also saw somewhere that a pom-pom was put on the top of the toe part.
You can put it on a board with some edible glitter for shaved ice.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:32am
post #5 of 16

ice skates made of chocolate

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:33am
post #6 of 16

LL

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:43am
post #7 of 16

I like cakequeens idea. If you are new that would be the safest/easiest way to go. Or you could do a sheet cake with a rink design (maybe an pond, would be prettier) on it and then add a pretty ice skating figure like the one at this link. (not sure how much you would want to spend but it would be a nice gift she could keep)

http://www.glasscaketops.com/sports/iceskater1.html

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:52am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

That cake is adorable.. where did you get the mold for the skates...

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:59am
post #9 of 16

Tonedna ,
your cake is SIMPLY STUNNING

gosh

Suzy

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:38am
post #10 of 16

Here's one I did that is simple enough for a beginner thumbs_up.gif :

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_75969.html

This cake determined that I would buy fondant in the future and not make MMF, I hated it, horrible to work with thumbsdown.gificon_cry.gif .

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:04am
post #11 of 16

I've never used fondant, but I've made a few ice skating cakes. Not very complicated, exactly what my clients asked for.

Have a look. Perhaps something will spark some inspiration icon_smile.gif : http://sugarfrosted.com/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=ice+skate

The one with the silver blade was baked in the Wilton Western Boot pan, with a foil-covered cardboard blade stuck on.

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:29am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoweddingcookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

That cake is adorable.. where did you get the mold for the skates...

it was in a store were I live...But there places in the internet that sell candy molds...

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:21am
post #13 of 16

my very first cake I did for someone else was whenI was in high school.. Very simply I traced my own ice skate, made a 11x14 cake, and star tipped the whole boot in white. I copied the blade onto construction paper and covered in tin foil.. then added laces (frosting) and that was that.. very simple and very easy.... kind of basic too.

the tin foil blade was kind of neat though since it looked like a regular blade.

goodluck!
Wendy

esq1031 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks to everyone who responded. All your ideas were wonderful and all the photos were great. I do have some ideas now. I especially love the chocolate ice skates. I do have so experience with chocolate so if I can find those mold, that may be the way to go. Great job everyone. Thanks so much.

esq1031 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 16

Of course I am being overly optimistic and thinking I can sculpt a cake into an iceskate. I watched Ace of Cakes last night and can't help but thinking it's possible. Does anyone have any idea how many cakes I would need to build something that high?

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 16

If you are doing flat skates one sheet cake is enough...You just shape the skates around the sheet cakes size...But if you are building a 3D then is going to take a few more cakes..and is going to be a more involved cake..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%