My Super Salvation Army Bargain!

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 9:29pm by Joshsmom

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 18

I stopped in at the local Salvation Army today to snoop around. I like to buy inexpensive, pretty plates so that when I give someone a cake, they have a nice plate too. I needed a plate for my Grandma for next Monday. Well... I saw the plates, looked to my left, and there was the Wilton 1978 Van cake pan marked at 75 CENTS!! It was screaming 'take me home!', so I of course obliged. icon_biggrin.gif I am totally envisioning this as a school bus for back to school in a couple of weeks.

Just had to share my fun surprise bargain with someone who would see it for the treasure it is! (I know DH won't be as excited. LOL)

17 replies
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 18

I have thirft store shop all the time and have found numerous cake pans and wilton cake decorating supplies. What a treasure. That is what I like about thrift shopping, you never know what you will find and most people don't know the value of Cake decorating things so you can usually find them marked inexpensive..... Contratulations.... My most recent find was a spiderman pan and a T-shirt pan.

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 18

Congratulations!!!! I know that feeling. I got my kitchenaid on tuesday, and dear mother was not at all excited about it thumbsdown.gif I will have tor remember about the thrift shops!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 12:39am
post #4 of 18

i love shopping there and goodwill.. i always find super deals..

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 12:56am
post #5 of 18

Congrats on a great find momsandraven!! I'm never that lucky .. but I've heard of others that have found some like that...

I guess I can't complain though lol.. I have had many co-workers give me shaped pans .. I probably have about 50+ of them... I don't use them often, but every now and then I'll drag one out and use it icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:11am
post #6 of 18

I love shopping at the Salvation Army and Goodwill for cake supply items. My family know that on Saturday mornings I am out to the yard sales and Flea Markets looking for my cake items. My greatest find is a marble cake turntable. I couldn't believe the price that she was asking ($2.00) and I ended up getting it for $1.00, it is in excellent shape. I just brought a brand new 4 pack of baking strips for $1.99.

I JUST LOVE BARGAINS !!!!

Tomorrow I will be getting my 575 watt 6 qt. KA and it comes with extra 6 qt. bowl!! I am still keeping my 325 watt also. My sister just knew that she would be getting it...not!! lol

Can't wait to see what bargains I'll find tomorrow... I feel like a kid in a candy store. icon_lol.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:24am
post #7 of 18

It's funny what makes us happy-some it's diamonds-don't get me wrong they make me very very happy-but it's really exciting to find something that relates to something we so enjoy doing! I've found pans at yardsales, flea markets, goodwill, etc and it's like someone put them there just for me to find! Then when we use them to create something wonderful the excitement is there knowing what a bargain it was!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:56am
post #8 of 18

Congrats on your find! Thrift stores are the best places to find the discontinued stuff...love the old cookbooks too. My best find was just a couple weeks ago. A KA mixer for $6.95! It was marked as a Hobart mixer but it was a classic KA in white and very dirty. I bought it just for the extra bowl not knowing if it would work. It did and cleaned up really well. I ended up giving it to my Mom...bowl and all. She was so excited. That alone was worth the 7 bucks.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:43am
post #9 of 18

CONGRATS on the Wonderful finds to EVERYONE!!!! I just love finding cake decorating stuff, I dont know about where everyone else lives but here there are Mini Storage buildings, and some of them open up a few of the units and in there you would be surprised what you will find. I have gotten several Cake goodies for a dollar each. & Omg, I just Love thrift Stores.. One of my favorite places to find lots of goodies. I am on a mission for cake stands and plates and old cook books now.I found a bunch of Wilton decorating books that are from 1960 & up. can't wait til tomorrow to hit the units again.
~Sweet~ =0)

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 18

Oh good for you. I love to garage sale every Saturday. You would not believe some of the pans I have found along with plates, doilies, tips, bags and much more. I love to go garage selling and my DH supports me because he knows it would cost much more if I bought these things from Hobby Lobby. Tomorrow is Saturday so happy shopping to all.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 18

You can bet I will be stopping in a little more often now! LOL Plus, the city right next to me has 3 or 4 Salvation Armys and a couple of Goodwill stores. Now if only I had a babysitter for the kids so I could really do some serious shopping! Oh well, can't have everything. icon_smile.gif

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 18

I too just caught a great deal. Our hometown is the home of The Hospice Flea Market which is one of the biggest in the country. It started todayand I was able to nab 19 cake pans at $.50 each. Some of them still have the original liner. All of them are Wilton and I was able to get a whole set of Petal Pans and DP Square can pans still in the wrapping. I also picked up tons of Mailbox News issues and a few yearbooks. There was two Colette Peter's books I wanted but another lady beat me to them! But overall, a great find!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 18

I love thrift shops, consignment shops and yard sales! I got a box of cake pans and pics for $4.00 last year. My first KA was from a yard sale for $8.00. It was one of the first production models and only came with the wire beater but it still works like a charm! My husband can't understand why I won't part with it even though him and my son bought me a KA for Christmas two years ago!

Debbie

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 18

I, too, love unusual plates and cakeboards. I recently found some CUTE trays at the dollar store that have birthday balloons and confetti imprinted all over it! They are so cute and perfect for sheet cakes! And I love to buy colorful plates that are on sale at the department stores - last week I got some beautiful lavender ceramic plates (dinner plate size) from Kohl's for $2.50!!!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 18

While I wouldnt call it a great find, while in Pass Christian Mississippi on vacation last week I went to a antique flea market and picked up a ninja turtle, shortcakes & treats and gumball cake pan at 3.00 each. I am not able to garage sale or shop much with my shedule so I was fairly pleased with this.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 18

A bargain is a bargain at any place or any time!! You can really find things at the oddest places..but that's half the fun!

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 2:37am
post #17 of 18

i have Savers close to me...i've already been there twice and picked up a pile of cake pans...spent maybe as much as i would on two of them new in the store. My favorite is my staple 9" round 3" high Magic Line cake pan with the removable bottom. I've gotten a star pan, santa pan, 2 bell shape pans, mini cupcake pan, and a Wearever pan that has heart shapes in it (trying that one out tonight). Love it!!!
Also found some mixing bowls there.

But what I am coveting and searching for is a Kitchenaid...don't want to put down the big bucks just yet...but hand mixing is driving me nuts!

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 9:29pm
post #18 of 18

After reading about everyone's great finds I stopped by our local Salvation Army store and I too found a Wilton Pan for 99 cents, it was the man pan, not quite sure who I'll use it for but hey, I too can't pass up a bargain at that price icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%