Using Walmart Vinyl To Emboss?

Decorating By lovincake Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 3:00am by lovincake

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 8

I saw a cake just posted in "Other" cakes, and the decorator said she used vinyl from walmart to emboss this really beautiful design on her cake. Shoot, can't recall her name!!! Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks...Linda

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 8

you can use most anything (foodsafe) to imprint a patter into fondant.

the easiest way would be to roll the fondant onto the imbossed pattern, then when you flip the material over the prepared cake, the imbossed pattern will be on theoutside of the cake. You have to be gentle smoothing the fondant to protect the patterm.

lovincake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 8

so, does the vinyl at walmart already have a pattern on it???

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:27am
post #4 of 8

I don't shop there, but fabric stores usually have rolls of it to be used for table covers etc. Many of them have distinct raised patters.

bluedragonfly_79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedragonfly_79 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 8

if we are thinking of the same cake it was justme50 that posted a beautiful cake and followed up by posting a picture of the actual vinyl used. I hope this helps.. icon_smile.gif

lovincake Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #6 of 8

Thanks yall, I just love that look and already scan what ever store I am in to see if I can find something to use to emboss on a cake. So far I have not made one but I am going to!!!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 8

I saw that same picture... I found my vinyl at Hobby Lobby... Walmart here didnt have it nor did Hancock. It was about $17 a yard, on sale today $11(yikes... but well worth it) but did it on my MIL cake tonight and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! IM sold

lovincake Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:00am
post #8 of 8

You know, until I saw justme50's cake I had no idea there was any such thing...I know what I will be doing tomorrow...going to Hobby Lobby...can't wait!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%