She Said What?? Long...

Decorating By AJsGirl Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 12:20am by becky27

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, this has been bugging me, so I need some thoughts on this. I don't really sell my cakes, it's just a hobby. But my boss at my "real" job orders cakes each month for the departmental birthdays. She doesn't pay me much, $20 for a 10" round white/buttercream, but I don't mind. icon_smile.gif Anyway, after the last birthday party, one of my coworkers ordered a 10" round lemon with cream cheese icing and filling. I quoted her $22 because the lemon and cream cheese costs me more to make. She said fine, paid me, I delivered the cake, she said it was great, we were all happy.

Then, a couple of days ago, I was talking to another coworker about doing a cake for her. A third coworker walks up and says, "You don't want to buy cakes from HER, she doesn't charge the same for each cake, it depends on whether or not she likes you." WHAT?? I just stood there, stunned. I don't know where this came from, other than the first coworker has been telling people I charged her more because I don't like her. And while it's true that we had differences in the past, I felt like we resolved everything and we are friendly now.

So all the coworkers I was talking to about doing cakes for them abruptly told me they decided not to. I don't really mind losing the business, I wasn't looking to make money at this, it just upsets me that people might think I charge based on whether or not I like them.

My DH thinks I might be blowing this out of proportion, but it bugs me. icon_mad.gif

9 replies
nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 10

My BF thinks i blow everything out of proportion...

I think your boss/co-workers are getting a great deal! I work a regular full time job also, and cakes are mostly hobby for me. my "price" is similar to yours (which basically covers ingredients and cake board and box...etc) I don't think you were out of line to ask for a little bit more $$ for ingredients you dont have on hand (and are a little pricier). I would have done the same thing. I think the biggest problem is "office gossip"... I work in a very small office. one male boss, and 7 ladies, plus me. It gets COLD. The most important thing is that your cake always seem to please! All you can do is explain yourself and your prices to them. when you quoted the $22 cake, did you SAY that it was because of the ingredients? if not, i would just clarify that. and if you did mention it, then forget them. Keep on cakin' and don't worry about those kind of people.

Next time your boss orders a cake, offer a few different kinds with different prices, which will show that you are not being biased. Or print up a price list of different flavors/prices.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

First of all, the price your boss paid you for company birthdays is between the two of you. If this co-worker asked to make the same size but with more expensive ingredients and you charged her a whole whopping $2.00 more, which is not enough for cream cheese and homemade fruit filling. She got a break! Now everybody is jumping on the don't buy cakes from her bandwagon.

I would ask the co-workers who wanted to order from you but now they're not, "Did so and so also tell you that although the cake she ordered was the same size as the office cakes I've been making, she wanted a cream cheese icing and lemon filling; which made her cake more expensive to make than the bc cakes that I've been bringing in? I would let them all know that your price went up because the kind of cake she ordered not because of any animosity towards her.
Let them know your prices go up depending on the order; cake sizes, fillings and certain types of icing, the design all plays a part on the cake costs.

I know you said this more of a hobby, but once people taste your products and are satisfied it starts to become a money maker. Although your boss gives you $20.00 per cake, that is not enough for a 10" cake but that's a deal that you and your boss have. Outside of the arrangement with the boss, you might want to reconsider your price for your 10". If you do, now is the time to let the workers know that that $20.00 price is the discount price you decided to accept for office birthdays. Also let them know that the big fat extra $2.00 that you charged in no way covered the cost of the more expensive ingredients that she requested, but it was your decision to whether you wanted to charge full price or give a discount, which she got.

UNGRATEFUL, INCONSIDERATE, IGNORANT IDIOT WRAPPED IN MORON HEIFERS!!!! You would think grown people would know better, like they've never order cakes before and don't know that different things cost different prices, AND THAT DOESN'T ONLY APPLY TO CAKES!

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 10

yes, i agree, they are definatly getting a deal, we charged at least 30 for a 10 in at the bakery i used to work at, i think if you clarify it might rectify the situations , people can be so catty sometimes, geez...that was rough

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe the cream cheese lady is not the one drawing that conclusion. Maybe someont asked her how much the cake cost, she told them, and they jumped to that conclusion or said something to you sarcastically. The fact that your coworkers no longer want cakes from you seems odd, and I bet it passes or may just be your perception right now.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 10

OMG!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif She started this whole thing over $2!!! icon_surprised.gif That is flipping incredible!! icon_mad.gif She got a great deal on an 10 inch cake for $22 and she is complaining? icon_confused.gif

Some people, I swear, have NO clue about what it takes to bake and decorate cakes.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys. I did mention to her when she ordered that the extra $2 was for ingredients and she was fine. I agree with woodthi32, I'm starting to think it wasn't her who started the rumor.

I told my DH I didn't think I was blowing it out of proportion. I knew my cake buddies would understand! icon_biggrin.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with the others-- that is silly. Whenever anyone orders a cake, tell them that the cost is based on the ingredients you will need to buy. Just don't pay any attention to them. They will come around.

I agree with the others that you should make it known that the office cake is discounted--10" cakes in my area are at least $40. That's a lot of cake!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 10

I charge $25 for a 10" round for office birthdays - and that is the going rate around here, not cut for the office. I'm in accounting (so I kind of pay myself) and my boss, the controller, has no problem with the price. At the only "bakery" in town, the same cake is $28. I am basically neck and neck with the lady that has been to the Master Class.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:20am
post #10 of 10

ridiculous....man people are so....gosh there are just no words!!!!
i hope you pass on the word that you are giving them all great deals and that the 2 extra dollars was for the supplies...omg how stupid.....just shaking my head!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%