The Cake I've Been Dreaming About...

Decorating By katharry Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 6:36am by khoudek

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:27am
post #1 of 50

I might just have the best boss in the whole world. He has to listen to me natter on about cakes 8 hours a day, when I have a big cake to make he lets me go home early or tells me to have the day off (maybe so he doesnt have to hear me natter?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif )

So when a co-worker told me that he wanted me to make a cake but didnt want to stress me out, I really really wanted to do something special for him.

This cake is for his 10 year old daughter who is graduating primary school this week so that she can give it to her teacher who she adores (teachers name Rebecca). Ive just come back from dropping the cake off and both their faces were a picture! I lived on about 3 hours sleep over the last three nights but it was so worth it to get that reaction!

I am posting the different angles of the cake (out of interest can anyone tell me do you post extra pics in the galleries or in the forums?). Vanilla cake, covered in fondant with gumpaste decorations. The idea came from a Maisie Parrish book, with a Aine2 twist, then I added some of my own.

Strange school though, the children call the teachers by their first names, and they dont have room numbers, it really is called Rebeccas Class.

Thanks for looking, I am off for a long hot bath.
Regards
Kathryn
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

49 replies
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:38am
post #2 of 50

WOW icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif All I can say is I was speachless when I saw this cake. AWESOME job thumbs_up.gif I bet the teacher doesn't want to cut this one icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:43am
post #3 of 50

Wow, that is some cake! It looks terriffic! I love all the details on the side...the coat hangers, crayons, shoes, art work...WOW!
hmmm, I think it's a little weird that they would call the teacher by his/her first name...

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:44am
post #4 of 50

I'm speechless - I don't know if the Ace of Cakes could make this.

You need to stop what you are doing and open your own shop. thumbs_up.gif

krzyzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzyzak Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:44am
post #5 of 50

I can see why you ramble at work about your cakes you do a wonderful job. and I agree with you about the reactions you get from your work. it make you feel so good inside when you see the smile and the joy they get from getting a specaily cake made for them as a suprise. i here recentaly did a cake for my dh coworker for his wife and she had no idea. and her face was priceless when see sean it. and after they left i told my dh thats why i love doing cake so much.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:46am
post #6 of 50

Fantastic cake, no wonder their faces were a picture! I doubt that they will want to cut it! Janice

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:50am
post #7 of 50

katharry,

Rebecca's cake is so perfectly designed and executed; I'm just totally awe struck icon_eek.gif

..and then ditto what kaychristensen said!!!

P.S. Please feel totally free to natter on about cakes as long and as often as you like on CC - YOU RULE icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:56am
post #8 of 50

I looked at some of your other work - I bow to you

If anyone out there looks at her other cakes, check out the Mermaid.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:10am
post #9 of 50

just fab..kathryn

like i said in my comments..i am speechless, apart from telling you how amazingly talented you are..

kylie

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:31am
post #10 of 50

Thank so much, never in my life have I come a cross such a lovely bunch of people! I am not kidding when I say I learnt everything I know on CC. Less than a year ago I decided to make a Wilton character cake (my first decorated cake) and found this site. I can not believe how generous everyone is worth their time, knowledge, helpful hints and positive comments.

Thanks again

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:41am
post #11 of 50

WOW! WOW! AND DOUBLE WOW! That is an incredible cake. All the details, bags, coathooks, books, etc, etc.... Congratulations on an amazing cake.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:43am
post #12 of 50

Awesome cake katharry! Amazing detail!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 10:41am
post #13 of 50

Awesome, awesome cake!!! The detail and craftmanship are something to behold! Fabulous! Judging by the looks of the others in your photos, you need to turn your notice in today and start your own bakery. Absolutely outstanding work!!! Can't wait to be inspired more by your future creations!

Amy

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 10:59am
post #14 of 50

Seriously? You started a year ago? I'm so impressed that is an amazing cake. There's hope for me yet! Thanks for the insperation!(oops spelling)lol icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:01am
post #15 of 50

This is so precious! I would hate to cut it too! Here in Holland, the kids also call their teachers by their first names (in primary school, kindergarten - 8th grade), with Miss or Mr in front. For example my daughter's teachers are Juf Linda & Juf Trudy (Miss Linda & Miss Trudy). Only the headteacher gets called by his surname (but then this is a freakish country altogether). However, when they go into high school, they have to call teachers by their surnames - what's that about lol?!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:01am
post #16 of 50

This is AMAZING!!! Fantastic job!

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:02am
post #17 of 50

WOW!!!! Katharry....another stunning cake thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif FANTASTIC!!!

Denise icon_smile.gif

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:17am
post #18 of 50

It's a fabulous cake, I love all the detail. Well done.

Val

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:50am
post #19 of 50

icon_eek.gif WOW!! It is BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats on a job well done!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:51am
post #20 of 50

WOW!!! That is a great cake! Keep up the good work!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 11:56am
post #21 of 50

Is your fondant teacher dating anyone right now???? thumbs_up.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 12:25pm
post #22 of 50

Absolutely incredible!! I know I would not want to cut into it if I were the teacher. I'd be picking things off to save in a shadow box or something! Stunning detail!!!

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 12:31pm
post #23 of 50

Wow, just incredible. Great job!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 12:37pm
post #24 of 50

Holy Moly! icon_eek.gif That's an awesome cake! I am saving it to my computer for inspiration in the future. Great work Katharry!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 12:52pm
post #25 of 50

Wow!!! That is truly incredible Katharry!! I saved it to my favorites for inspiration!

Kathi

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 1:21pm
post #26 of 50

Kathryn,

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif
This is a real masterpiece. I, too, would want to keep everything in a shadowbox. It speaks volumes about how important teachers are, too, YAY!

I can BET that the real Rebecca shed a tear or two. It's delightful.

At the very least you should be giving classes, I would sign up in a heartbeat. Talent, talent!!!

AND you're so right about Cake Central. I wonder just how many of us have been boosted up, or inspired to try new things, just because of the positive energy on this website? Thanks again to Jackie and Heath. Awesome.
Maureen

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 2:54pm
post #27 of 50

This cake is absolutely awesome!!! You are so talented!!!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 2:57pm
post #28 of 50

Simply amazing!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 3:06pm
post #29 of 50

That cake had to have brought tears to some eyes! It is awesome! You did a beautiful job on it!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 3:46pm
post #30 of 50

wow! this is inspirational! its amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%