Hot Sugar Syrup Makes For Painful Burns...

Decorating By candy177 Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 12:59pm by Cake_Geek

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 1:01am
post #1 of 11

Was making marshmallows and spilled 240 degree sugar syrup on my hand (pinky finger) and arm - since it didn't really hurt my arm, I attended to my finger first and ignored the splatter. Ran cold water on my pinky and then peeled the syrup off my arm. Burned the skin off - looks like a popped blister. Meanwhile, my pinky is developing what looks to be a bad blister.

What can I do to stop the pain and help it heal faster? Got my hands wrapped around a cold beer (I keep one stashed for such emergencies - I don't drink beer)....but it still hurts.

10 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

Go to an Urgent Care Center NOW!! You need an antibiotic to protect you from infection and Silvadene Cream for the burn. The physician will probably also prescribe a narcotic for the pain.

I'm sooo sorry for you. I know it really does hurt a lot! But, DO NOT delay getting care for this burn!

Beth in KY

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 1:13am
post #3 of 11

Hope yeh feel better.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 1:18am
post #4 of 11

Yes go get some burn cream. When my son was little someone stuck his hand to a red hot burner and the burn cream worked wonders. He had 3rd degree burns on his hand and luckily it did not scar but I know the pain was unbearable.

Hope you fell better. Keep cool wet rags on it in the mean time, you need to keep some moisture in there.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 2:22am
post #5 of 11

I used to work as a cook, making several hundred meals a day. Needless to say, I got burned a lot. I tried everything, but didn't find any thing that worked that well. I purchased some Mellalueca T-36 oil and it does the trick!! stops the pain. It is sold by distributors, so I just replaced by bottle by bidding on some on E-Bay! My husband even tried it and couldn't say enough about it-it is the best!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 2:32am
post #6 of 11

Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you. Every student in my sugar class, including me, had at least one blister from hot sugar. I know how that hurts and it takes a day or two for that throbbing burning sensation to go away. Take care of yourself and be careful not to bump or bang you hand against anything.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 2:52am
post #7 of 11

Okay, update - not going to the ER (can't afford a large bill right now lol - my insurance only pays a portion) but I sent DH to the store to pick up some medical tape as the one burn was too large for a normal bandaid pad...he came home with these - http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87892&catid=44621&aid=335972&aparam=doctors_choice_burns_sc

Awesome - the throbbing in my pinky is slowly subsiding. Can I just say that they're awesome??? icon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 4:36am
post #8 of 11

I cannot count how many burns that I have had. I never put any cream on them not even Silvadene. The burn is still basically "cooking" So applying cream just helps to keep the warm in (in my oipinion)
I have had sheet pan burns and sugar burns. neither is real fun and they will ache for quite sometime. I have never had any infection from any of my burns and they have burned the skin right off. I once picked up a hot Fajita skillet and my skin turned white.
As for a blister I pop them. I poke it many time with a pin so that all the moisture is out. It dries faster and heals within a week. That way there is no chance that it can get caught on something!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 4:37am
post #9 of 11

PS I never cover it because it can sweat under the bandage. The longer a blister burn stays wet the longer it will take to heal.

munkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
munkey Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 4:48am
post #10 of 11

A great thing for burns is Aloe Vera. The plant or the extract stuff is good. I like the plant better. I found out about it when I burned myself with a spot welder in school. The teacher had a plant in the room just for burns. It's great stuff. Heard its delicious cooked too..haha.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 11

I second the notion on aloe. I have a plant that I keep just for burns. A great thing to do would be to slice a limb off the plant and stick in the freezer. WHen it get good and cold, have DH fillet it and use it in pieces like bandaids on the burns.

You might be able to get the silvadene cream by just calling your doctor and telling him what happened. Hopefully you feel better soon.

Just a funny burn story for ya (yes, there is such a thing way after the fact).. My mom, years ago, was trying to take the thanksgiving turkey out of the wall oven in one of those aluminium trays early in the morning in her nightie. I woke to the sound of her screaming and when I got to the kitchen (maybe 15 feet from my bedroom), she was standing at the sink naked and the turkey on the floor. The tray had buckled on her and sent hot juice and grease down her nightie and the turkey bounced off her arm. Thankfully the flannel nightie she had on protected most of her. She got one heck of a blister on her arm from the turkey. The only thing we had at the time big enough to cover it was (get ready)... a sanitary pad. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%