Stand-Up Cake Batter

Decorating By southerncake Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm by Cakemaster26

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone. I haven't been on in a while, but I have a quick question. I am sure it is on the board somewhere, but I have not found my answer.

I use a basic Betty Crocker batter for all of my cakes. I have never done a stand-up cake, but have to bake one today - a last minute order. What should I change to make it stable for a sports ball pan? I am doing a tea pot cake.

Thanks in advance!

Amy

14 replies
msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 15

I didn't need to do anything special for a sports ball. I use Duncan Hines and replace the water with milk. It worked fine.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 15

what exactly is a "stand up" cake??

Jennifer

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 15

When I used the sports ball pan I used devils food cake mix because it was supposed to be denser and it held up well (made the death star from star wars for DH). I also use this recipie I was given by another CC poster to make a denser white cake:
Box mix
3 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 small box instant pudding(vanilla or white chocolate)
1/2 c. oil
1 1/4 c. water or milk
It was a great tasting cake

I would love to see a pic when you are done. I would like to make a teapot for my husband's grandma.

Jennifer-a stand up cake is a 3-D cake, like the sports ball pan will make really cute baseballs, basketballs, etc the are perfectly round and 3-D. Also you can find stand-up bear pans, trains, lambs, all kinds of cute things! Check this out. You'll see some of the pans.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E3050A4-475A-BAC0-5C5F5E1F588745A3&fid=3E305D47-475A-BAC0-51F3A0DEB1C54219

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 15

ok....should've figured that one out on my own!! lol icon_redface.gif So this is probably what someone means when at the bottom of the recipe they add things like: "Stands up well", etc.

I've got lots of different pans that I bought off ebay....it was 14 different pans in one auction and I only paid like $27.00, shipping and all!! But I haven't used any yet....need to give it a shot.

Thanks for the info!!

Jennifer

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks everyone.

Dodibug - I am going to try the recipe you posted. I will definitely let you know how it turns out!

Thanks a bunch!

Amy

dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 15

I forgot to add you can also add a tsp of almond flavoring to the mix as well. I didn't but that's only because I'm not a huge almond fan! icon_smile.gif

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 15

You can reduce the amount of oil. I have a wilton ball pan and in the instructions it says to reduce the oil to 1 tablespoon. I wasn't so sure so I just cut the amount that it asked for from cake directions in half. You can pull instructions for the cake pans off here I think.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 15

Someone told me to add a box of instant pudding mix to the cake mix, so that's what I did when I made the 3D ball cake and it worked just fine.

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 15

southerncake....I'm not sure if you've already started, but this cake is fantastic! As a matter of fact I don't know if I'm ever usin' anything else! icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-3-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

dodibug Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 15

Ooohh, I'm going to have to try that one also! icon_biggrin.gif

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 15

dodibug ---- i hope you like it icon_smile.gif

lwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lwright Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 15

I need to do a cake like this tonight. I'm doing a doll cake in the Wilton Wonder mold. This may be a stupid question but in the recipe posted it says box mix and also 1 box of pudding. Is that in addtion to the pudding that's already in the box mix? Like if I use Duncan Hines chocolate with pudding do I add another box of pudding??

Thanks

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 15

Great recipe, I'm trying it right now! Thanks!

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 15

southerncake

I know this off topic but I just had to say that I love your avitar.

kriss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%