How Would You Ice Fall Leave Cookies?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 1:52am by Gama

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:28am
post #1 of 34

I have 50 fall leaf cookies to ice and I am unsure how to get the multi colors without first piping a border.I don't want a border.Can I flat dip them? just put 3-4 colors ontop and swirl it around.Any ideas??

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

33 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #2 of 34

When I make mine, I pipe a border of my main color and then use icing that is just a bit thinner to fill in with the colors I want. The thinner icing spreads well and you can't really tell there is a border when it's dry--and no icing spills over the edge.
Good luck.
-allison

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #3 of 34

why do you not want a border

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #4 of 34

What kind of multi-colors are you trying to get?

I just started making iced cookies tonight, so take this for what it's worth, but I simply used the thinned icing, did a quick border, and filled in. For the cookies that had other colors 'pulled' into them, I put the other color in the middle, and used a toothpick to pull it through the first color. Not sure if this helps at all, but hey, I had fun doing leaves tonight. They're in my photos. icon_smile.gif

Doni

kneadacookie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #5 of 34

you can see the border on my cookies, but you can't even see it on doni's. nice job doni
LL

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #6 of 34

Thank you! Beginner's luck. icon_razz.gif

Your's are GORGEOUS! I love your colors!!!! That's what I was trying to do. Guess I'll just have to make more cookies tomorrow, and play... er... I mean... work some more! icon_smile.gif

okay... And now, I'll stop highjacking this thread! Sorry about that! icon_redface.gif

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #7 of 34

You could also use RBC instead, and then just dab on some food color all over- will have a more spotted and mottled effect- sorry- don't have any to share- but that's the plan in my head for the leaves I plan to do. icon_smile.gif Doni and kneadacookie- great job!!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

you can see the border on my cookies, but you can't even see it on doni's. nice job doni

I love your cookies and the color transitions-- how did you do that?!?! they are beautiful!! I would really love to do that! Please share your talent!!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 34

check out the fall leaf cookies in the cookie club September thread... there are some really great ones!

kneadacookie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 34

sorry laurel...i didn't mean to hijack your thread. there really are some great cookies in the september cookie club thread

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 34

you could just go the lazy route (like me lol) and cover them in MMF and paint em' they're very easy just go back and forth with one color around the edge of the cookies and then keep layering the colors as you move toward the center of the cookie overlapping each color slightly onto the one before very easy and surprisingly quick and you don't have to wait so long for them to dry before bagging them up ( I'm so terrible at plan ahead projects lol)
LL

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

you could just go the lazy route (like me lol) and cover them in MMF and paint em' they're very easy just go back and forth with one color around the edge of the cookies and then keep layering the colors as you move toward the center of the cookie overlapping each color slightly onto the one before very easy and surprisingly quick and you don't have to wait so long for them to dry before bagging them up ( I'm so terrible at plan ahead projects lol)

What did you use to paint with? Is it just straight gel color or did you dilute it with something? Your cookies look great!

KHalstead Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 34

just straight out of the bottle americolor gels!

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 34

KHalstead Where did you get you packaging?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #15 of 34

I used Toba Garrett's glaze icing on mine without a border.
LL

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 34

Another easy thing you can do is use 3 or 4 colors of MMF--red, yellow, orange-knead them together a little bit and they will look like fall-colored leaves--I just did this last weekend, and neglected to take a picture, but they looked cool. Somewhere on here there is a thread that inspired me called something like "I love MMF for cookies".... wish I'd saved it somewhere! It was so easy and looked so good Here's the link http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-544083.htmlood!

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:47pm
post #17 of 34

I have been really lazy and just used MMF that had been marbled with 3 fall colors. They turned out really great. Sorry no pics.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #18 of 34

I too have become lazy and started using MMF for all my cookies, and just putting RI details on - so much easier!

deb

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:18pm
post #19 of 34

I marbled RBC for my autumn leaves. (See apple basket in my photos). It was an interesting effect...not perfect, but interesting!

KHalstead Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:10pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassi_g16

KHalstead Where did you get you packaging?

it's just the regular ol' cello (plastic lol I don't think they're REAL cello) bags made by wilton and I just get scrapbooking paper this particular paper came from A.C. Moore and then I cut it to the size I need, fold it over the bag and staple a couple times quick and easy!!

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #21 of 34

Khalstead I love your leaf cookies! May I ask what color fondant is the base color of the cookies? They look like real leaves and your method seems alot easier than all royal. TIA

KHalstead Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #22 of 34

the mmf was just white!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #23 of 34

All of the cookies on this thread are beautiful thumbs_up.gif
I did some a couple of years ago and the way i iced them was with poured fondant that I had marbled and then poured on, they turned out really pretty but I don't have any pictures of them icon_cry.gif
But this is a method somebody might like to try!

Jibbies

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 34

KHalstead your cookies are awesome!! I am going to have to try that.

Here's my input: I have used the mmf and royal icing and then used petal dusts of all the different colors and brushed them all over in patches, that looked really good. I have also used the royal icing and then used the sprays either from wilton in red, yellow, orange and green. Or if you are lucky enough to have an airbrush (I am not) that would be even better. Just spray them randomly around on the leaf. Either way, when you are done just pipe on the leaf outline and/or veins if you want and they are done. Turned out cute but I don't have pictures unfortunately.

Just some ideas for ya! HTH.

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:24pm
post #25 of 34

I bet they're gorgeous with the different colors of dust.......would probably be super pretty with the luster dusts too!!!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #26 of 34

All of the cookies on this thread are beautiful! I am planning on making some cookies this weekend (i'm a beginner) and might have some questions for you all. I hope you don't mind. icon_redface.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #27 of 34

I agree with the fondant people in here...call me lazy..lol..but i love the royal icing look too!

tonedna Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #28 of 34

I agree with the fondant people in here...call me lazy..lol..but i love the royal icing look too!

tonedna Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #29 of 34

sorry for the post computer went nuts!..lol icon_redface.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #30 of 34

KHalstead, those are gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%