Do You Work Full-Time, Part-Time Or Are You A Sahm?

Lounge By ladyinblack1964 Updated 20 Dec 2006 , 5:49am by mariecar6

ladyinblack1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyinblack1964 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 11

Just wondering: Do most of you work full time, or part time, or are you SAHM's or self-employed? Please see the poll with this post. (I hope I worded it correctly so I didn't hurt anyone's feelings!)

The reason I'm asking is: I work a full time job with an hour commute. My job is sit-down, but requires a lot of intellectual input and the wearing of several hats. I am 42 years old, and about 20 pounds overweight, married, no kids. I don't do much housework icon_evil.gif

I just don't seem to have any energy to do any baking these days. Years ago (about 10-12) I tried to start my own business making cookie trays for showers, weddings, etc. Had almost no success. I was charging $7.50 a pound, using all butter, natural ingredients, etc. People complained that I was charging too much. I also used to knock myself out making Xmas cookies, till I discovered my family can't tell the difference between a quality cookie and a store bought one made with LARD icon_rolleyes.gif

I just bought myself a KitchenAid artisan mixer, but haven't even taken it out of the box. Now, I must explain DH and I had walking pneumonia for a bit longer than a week, but I STILL haven't done a darned thing for Christmas baking. This is not the first year I've dropped the ball (or cookie) on this stuff. I have ingredients sitting in the cupboard that I bought and just never used. I LIKE to bake; so like what's my PROBLEM? I should add that I often suffer from mild clinical depression and am taking an antidepressant and am in therapy too.

I feel like a big fat lazy jerk. I know I don't have to be martha Stewart but sheesh...I have no kids to look after...I don't go out socially much...I don't have lots of other hobbies...

How do you all do it?!?!

Thanks for letting me vent. And I am certainly open to advice...

Sandra
a/k/a the Armchair Chef

10 replies
mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

Don't feel so bad! I haven't started anything for the holidays yet either... but I just want everything to be fresh for Christmas so I won't do anything till next week. I have a hard time finding time even though I am a SAHM... being a mom to a 5 month old and nursing is sooo hard! I don't know how I found time to get everything done when I was working without a child! I think I get less done being home all day and having to take care of a baby! I really wish there were more hours in a day. I try to sell on eBay to make a little extra money so that DH and I can still go out but it's not working the best... our savings is dwindling and I'm scared that I'll have to return to work earlier than I expected. I just started doing cakes when I was 5 months pregnant. Within the 4 months of the end of my pregnancy I made 24 cakes! Since I had the baby, I've done probably 4 or 5 total... it's much harder now to find time and energy so don't feel bad! For the holidays I plan to make Christmas cookies since my mom is unable to make them this year (she had surgery on her shoulder) and my dad wants me to make his favorite frozen cookies which I've never done before... I also wanted to make a cake the day before Christmas Eve but we'll see if that gets accomplished!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 11

Don't worry, I'm feeling lazy about stuff this year too. But maybe it is because I have so much going on that I just want to crawl into bed and sleep the holiday away! icon_lol.gif I work full-time, teach one night a week (this month) and have my three kids. I have literally had something going on everyday/night since December 1st. Between Christmas parties for work (yeah a number of them), for the kids, for my husband's work, other engagements, a couple of cakes, major changes going on at my work (which requires me to move buildings), trying to get my house ready since we are hosting Christmas dinner this year; I'm just exhausted every night since I am averaging about 5 hours of sleep every night. I wanted to do some Christmas cut-outs, but now I'm in no mood. There was so much I wanted to bake, but at this point, BLEH! Hmmm... Maybe we will actually find time to get our Christmas tree up this weekend...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 11

I work full time, am 42 also, and very lazy this year. I have two teenage boys that seem to leave a mess where ever they go. The holiday candy is almost done, what i can keep out of thier mouths, but at least i don't have to taste it all my self. My oldest son is invovled in sports, so i have to run every evening with him carting him to and from practices and events. So in order to get anything done, i have to break things down in parts. Like tonight i will measure out all my flour, sugar and spices for my cookies (either use zip locks or those disposible plastic containers that are out now) mark each bag with what it's for, using a sharpy black marker. Then tomorrow before i head out the door i'll pull the butter out of the fridge and when i get home i'll start mixing cookie dough. Any drop cookies will get formed with a cookie scoop and layered and frozen(then the days before needed will get baked) The shaped sugar cookies will get rolled and cut then placed either in the fridge or the freezer depending on when i need them baked.

Another time saver is to convert all your recipes to wieght, then you can pour your flour and sugar right into the bags without having to deal with measuring cups.

For measuring things like peanutbutter and crisco, go invest in a ice cream scoop with a spring action handle (if you are a lefty they make ones for you too, just make sure to ask at your local resturant supply store) I like to have a 1/3 scoop and a 1/2 scoop the cost is about $10 each, but its so much easier to just dip out the messy stuff they are very much worth it. They also work great for making uniform cupcakes.

Keep your head up and know you are not alone with feeling down especially this time of year, depression runs rampet now. If your meds aren't doing the trick by all means talk to your doctor. Also, don't forget to look to your diet this time of year with the added stress of the holidays and the added sugar we have in our diets it can play havic on our systems.

Dont forget to take care of yourself first cause if you arent' doing well how can you take care of anyone else.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 11

I'm somewhat of a SAHM, somewhat of a WAHM. I make a little money online, a little making jewelry too, but not enough yet to really do much with...yet! I have 2 kids, son is 5 and daughter 4.

Life at my house is fun, but sometimes boring for the kids. We don't have a car during the day, one of the not so little sacrifices I had to make nearly 5 years ago to be home with my kids. I'm very motivated to change the car situation... I know it will happen with determination and time. icon_smile.gif

I'm home all day, so I can bake, but I'm honestly burned out on it. I spend way too much time sitting at the computer even though I have the option not to!

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Working at a desk takes it's toll. I used to be where you are. Worked full time, had the one hour commute to work each way and like you I had no energy when I got home at night. It's not something you have a lot of control over. Just be sure to take care of yourself!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 11

I hear ya lady! Have you felt this way for awhile? Maybe you're not on the right dose or meds? I am on Zoloft and it helps me alot. Another thing that REALLY helps with mood and energy is exercise! It really does, I have been totally slacking on the exercise and believe me, I need it! icon_lol.gif Hubby has had to work out of town and I have a 2 yr. old and ten month old twins so I haven't been able to go for my walks and I sure can tell the difference in my mood and energy!

My advice is to go for a long walk every night. I know it's winter but if you dress right, I really think it might help.
thumbs_up.gif
~Flava

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 11

Well none of the poll options apply to me. I work for a dot.com company part time (bout 30 hours a week) from home. My hubby works fulltime from home for a different company.

Cutting out the commute time/having to be dressed up etc... made a huge difference for us. Nobody knows I make conference calls, manage employees, etc... all in my jammies. My hubby says he is more productive than he was when he drove into work every day, he was able to convince his manager to let him telecommute from home when gas prices went skyhigh. We both spend way more time with the kids and get a lot more "fun" time also.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 3:35am
post #8 of 11

Don't feel bad - you aren't the only one. Today is the 16th and I just started baking cookies tonight. I work full time outside the home and had to schedule to be off Monday & Tuesday to do my baking. I couldn't do any before hand because my huge upright freezer recently went out and we don't have the money to replace it right now. Because of that I couldn't do a lot of baking and freeze it.

So, here I am just starting and my sheet of parchment paper just slid off my baking sheet and 16 peanut butter cookies just slid off in my oven. I now have to go clean the oven before I can proceed. Most aggravating.

I've been having a hard time getting motivated lately, too.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

ladyinblack1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyinblack1964 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all for your kindness! I think when I was younger, I was more able to take things in stride, plus had an easier job. The one I have now kinda knocks me out.

Plus, sorry to say, I think DH and I are sick again! Everyone in my office has a cold or cough of some sort. It is possible that we never recovered from the walking pneumonia. DH is going to call the doctor today and see what he says.

I hope I can get done those things I need to get done (lasagna for Xmas dinner at my DSis's, a rum cake we always make, maybe a batch or two of cookies). I really wanted to try the decorated sugar cookies but maybe now is not the time. There's always Valentine's Day! icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 11

I work full-time and have a DH that works full time and a DS that is having issues focusing at school, so we have him in some after-school things to help him out. So I know totally how you feel about being wiped out.
I also understand the depression thing myself, as I battle it depending on the weather, and how stressfull things are in my life. Exercise, eating right, and talking to my husband constantly really help. Sometimes what I do now, is if I am really tired, I take a 15-30 minute power nap to get my energy banks back up and that really helps.

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 5:49am
post #11 of 11

Well, I suppose that a lot of us get lazy and depressed every now and then. (Lots of fellow SAHMs out there!)

Good time to vent a little, too! This year has been the pits for me. My not so DH and I have been arguing a lot. The government passed a new law where every business person has to be registered. I couldn't do it because to do so, I had to take out a lot of permits with a lot of agencies who all want a piece of the cake, so to speak. So now, I suddenly have no business.
I got so anxious, with money problems and all the above, that my dermatitis turned into emotional eczema. It's a vicious circle. My skin won't heal because my problems have not gone away! (If some former client were to see my hands now, they would feel scared! I use my nails to tap the keyboard.)

Soon, very soon, I'll be 50 and am overweight, unemployed and so on and so on.

But, hey,it's Christmas! Merry Christmas to all of you! I hope that all of you have a wonderful New Year and that your skills and love of baking/decorating bring you joy and $$$!

ladyinblack1964 - I just KNOW you can pull through! And may you and your DH get well soon!

Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%