Chicago Metallic Cake Pans

Decorating By SCS Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm by JanH

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

I will be needing to purchase cake pans, and am currently researching the different makes. Magic Line is very popular, but for me, it is an expensive option as I would have to order them, and then get them shipped.

I have just been to a shop that sells the Chicago Metallic brand. These seem good, and are heavier than the Wilton pans, but I have no idea what gauge they are. The shop assistant could not tell me either, and I've just been on the internet, and cannot find the answer!

So, does anyone know what gauge the Chicago Metallic cake pans are? Has anybody used them, and what did you think?

The Chicago Metallic pans are the best I have seen so far that is local to me. If anyone based in Calgary knows of any other decent cake pans - let me know!!!

Thanks!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:29am
post #2 of 7

Here's some info, says they're either 22 or 26 gauge aluminum:

http://www.bakingpans.com/custom_pans/BuyingGuide/CakePans.html

HTH

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:24am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Here's some info, says they're either 22 or 26 gauge aluminum:

http://www.bakingpans.com/custom_pans/BuyingGuide/CakePans.html

HTH

26 or 22 gauge Aluminized Steel

SCS Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies.

So, if it's aluminized steel, does that make a difference (I'm not very knowledgeable in this area!)?

Has anybody used these pans before?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 7

I started buys pans from Lloyd Pans and have been very happy. They are a manufacturer, so you cut out the retailer and they are less expansive. Look at their links page, they have some famous cake makers as their clientele. Their shipping is reasonable too.

www.lloydpans.com

SCS Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the info!

Still can't decide what to go for - guess I'll do a bit more research! Lucky I'm not in a rush for new pans!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS

I have just been to a shop that sells the Chicago Metallic brand. These seem good, and are heavier than the Wilton pans, but I have no idea what gauge they are.

So, does anyone know what gauge the Chicago Metallic cake pans are?

SugarFrosted, 22 or 26 gauge IS the information SCS was looking for......

Sorry I summarized the metallurgical content incorrectly, as the complete and accurate info was addressed in the link provided. icon_redface.gif

I apologize to any who was misled (or otherwise harmed or injured) because the pans are aluminized steel and not aluminum. icon_smile.gif (Although Chicago Metallic does offer some aluminum pans, also.)

SCS - here's the difference between the use of the metals:

Q. Why are some products made of aluminized steel and some of aluminum?
A. Aluminum is a fine conductor of heat. It's ability to heat and cool quickly makes it a preferred material by some bakers. Aluminized steel is steel that has an aluminum coating. Aluminized steel is preferred by some bakers because it can withstand the daily wear and tear of commercial baking.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%