Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

Decorating By mmichelew Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm by 08joey

mmichelew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmichelew Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 7

OK, Ive gotten SO many requests for directions on building the clubhouse that I decided to post this in the forum. Several folks have done these since mine, so they can probably add some very helpful tips. Im also trying to recall all of my steps from memory as its been a while since Ive made the cake now. Anyway here goes. I used a single layer 10 square cake for the base, and the base of the clubhouse is a ½ sports ball pan, covered w/ buttercream & fondant, doweled the base cake for support..

For me, this was my first time working with RKT. I used the recipe I use when I want to eat them - very chewy - took them forever to set up - they kept falling apart and I would have to squish them back together. The head was the biggest challenge in that regard b/c of the size. Small round balls of RKT for the ears. Molded RKT for the hand, fingers (molded separately), and foot. I molded all parts and set them aside to get firm. Once they were all firm, I covered them all with a thin coating of buttercream. (I probably should've used royal, but I just hate making the stuff.) I let that set up and then started covering the individual pieces with colored fondant, starting with the ears and then the head attaching the ears to the head w/ skewers. I used a big dowel covered in fondant (just the part that showed) to attach the head to the base of the clubhouse.

I worked the hand pieces all at once too, very quickly, so that I could attach the fingers (again w/ small skewers) and then mold the pieces of fondant together (the fingers to the hand) before the fondant dried. I then added the little strips of white fondant to the hand for the glove. The base of the glove has a ring of fondant glued to the main part w/ water.

For the foot, theres no dowel I used black buttercream or a piece of fondant (I cant recall which) to attach the foot to the clubhouse.

I used blue fondant for windows, trimmed in buttercream. I used a darker blue fondant for the slide - just molded to the shape I wanted (had to position it against the clubhouse to make sure the slope was right), prop it in position, and set to dry before adding to the cake. I used a small skewer to make an opening in the end of the slide to make it look like it was hollow. I think I added stripes to the slide w/ buttercream.

I actually also made some fence pieces that I was going to add around the outside of the clubhouse, but the clubhouse ended up taking too much room on the 10 square, so I left them off.

I'm sure I left something off, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. I, by no means, proffer to be an expert in this business, but I'll tell you anything I can.
LL

6 replies
vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks - got to make sure I save this!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

VERY CUTE!

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

this was what i was looking for!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your MMCH directions! wish me luck with mine! icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:16am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

My nephew is having a MMCH themed 2nd birthday party on the 17th.

I'm sure he'll love my (humble) interpretation of your lovely cake. icon_lol.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 7

I am so glad I found this thread!!! My grandson's 3rd bd is in March and he wants a Mickey Mouse cake....for an year he has said he wants MM!!!! I've been torn on a tierd cake or the clubhouse....well, this might have swayed me to the clubhouse, I so appreciate the directions mmichelew thumbs_up.gif btw, your's looks GREAT!!!!!

08joey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
08joey Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 7

how did you exactly add the hand to the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%