Red Velvet Cake.

Baking By morganacake Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 6:13am by morganacake

morganacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganacake Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hi from Spain. I'm Morgana, from Madrid.

I've seen some pictures of that "red velvet cake" and I would like to make it but I have a couple of doubts. First of all: what kind of red colour should I use? I only know and have wilton colours (no taste red) Can I use this one? How much? The other doubt is about "buttermilk". I don't know where to find it but I've read that I can get it by myself if I cook some milk with lemon juice for about 3 minutes. Is that right?

I would like to make this "red velvet cake" for my parent's ruby weddings.

Thank you all for your attention and sorry for my english, I hope you understand what I wrote.

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 7

The Wilton no taste red will work fine. It doesn't have enough liquid in it to change the consistency of the batter. You will probably need about 1/4 of the container, maybe less. Just add some until the batter is the color you want.

To make buttermilk, just add the lemon juice to the whole milk, then let it sit for about 5 minutes. There is no need to cook it. If you don't have lemon juice, vinegar will work also. Usually buttermilk is used for flavor and will make the cake rise higher. Homemade buttermilk may not add to the rising part of the cake.

Maybe in Spain it's called something else? Buttermilk is the leftover liquid from churning butter. That's how it got it's name.

HTH

Michele

By the way, your English was very good. I had no problems understanding your questions.

morganacake Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you very much for your help and explanations, Michele.

I was not sure about the buttermilk because in spanish we call it "suero" and I thought "buttermilk" could be some kind of milk cream or so. It is not a product I can find easily in my country so I will have to use the milk/lemon juice method.

I will try this recipe, I've seen some photos and I fell in love with that soft and deep red color.

Thanks again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

I used the milk with vinegar and my red velvet raises just fine. I use Sarah's red velevet recipe on this site and it is so good!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 7

I never buy buttermilk. Always do the vinegar and milk thing. 1 T vinegar in the measuring cup first, then fill with milk to make 1 cup. Let sit.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

Can I use MMF over Sarah's red velvet cake?

morganacake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:13am
post #7 of 7

Thank you again for your help. thumbs_up.gif

Bu the way, tiggy2, I love your version of a "balanced diet" (my boyfriend is gonna be happy with this kind of diet icon_lol.gif ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%