Can Anyone Explain This To Me!...pls???????

Sugar Work By tonedna Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 6:03am by tonedna

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #1 of 20

I went to the Oklahoma State show and i saw the winner cake..She did some Extension work hanging from nothing but air.. icon_surprised.gif I can get over it...I have tried to search on how is done but they always talk about a bridge...Pls...someone explain...I am attaching the photo so u can see what I am talking about!
LL

19 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:06am
post #2 of 20

That is beautiful work.

typically, the cake is tilted so the strands hang down until they are dry, then the cake is turned for the next section.

It takes a lot of practice, and getting the hang of royal icing.

tonedna Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:09am
post #3 of 20

How do they achieve the scalloped then???

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #4 of 20

I think the scalloped is piped first and then lines are piped from top to the bottom of scallop.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:16am
post #5 of 20

I think the scalloped is piped first and then lines are piped from top to the bottom of scallop.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:55am
post #6 of 20

You do what they call drop loops first and build that a bite maybe 3 on tope of each other and then you do what they call string work where you drop lines from the side of the cake. Its all done in royal icing. Very time comsuming and you need a lot of practice to be able to get you loops the same size and length everytime. And just for the record I can do it and have done so. You can also add $100 per cake for the work if not more.

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 20

Christine Flynn's Extension Work is a great book on the subject if you want to get into that sort of thing.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #8 of 20

i am not quite sure how they do it below the board...but the ones close to the cake...they put pins in and pipe the scallop useing the pins as support..then they do the other lines and when its dry they carefully remove the pins.

moonlightschild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonlightschild Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:36am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck

Christine Flynn's Extension Work is a great book on the subject if you want to get into that sort of thing.

is that the name of her book? i just tried to google it and nothing comes up...please and thank you

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #10 of 20

Couldn't each of the scallops be done, flat, on a board, allowed to dry, then attached to the cake? I would think that would be a lot easier.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:52am
post #11 of 20

kjgjam22's explanation is correct.

I had my camera set to super zoom on all of those cakes. There was some amazing stringwork going on!

duckduck Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 20

http://www.half.ebay.com/
has a copy of Christine's book but it's $57. I spelled it wrong. It's Flinn, not Flynn. Sorry about that.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 20

I know that Toba Garrett does a lot of work like this, and I've seen other books from the library (mostly from England and Australia) that feature elaborate "bridge" or "string" work.

all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 20

Great score on info here....

http://www.cake-decorating-tips.com/DSP10.pdf

Several different ways to accomplish stringwork.

The technique used on the cake in question is described toward the bottom of page 45...bridgework

duckduck Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 20

I've seen a little here and there in books but the Flinn book has the most techniques I've seen in one place. It's pretty thorough and lots of pictures on the how to.

tonedna Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:22am
post #17 of 20

The pin part i understand...but there was an area were there are no place to put pins..everything was hanging in the air

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:44am
post #18 of 20

I thought I saw a lady doing this on youtube. Maybe you could try to check and see. I think I just typed in cake decorating.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:57am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Couldn't each of the scallops be done, flat, on a board, allowed to dry, then attached to the cake? I would think that would be a lot easier.

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!! Heck of a lot easier I would think but then I guess that would take away from the "skill" of it all....

tonedna Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:03am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriasCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!! Heck of a lot easier I would think but then I guess that would take away from the "skill" of it all....

sounds easy but there are areas in this cake were u see the lines drop in the center..it tells me it wasn't done flat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%