Decorated Dog Treats?

Business By thinkpink Updated 12 Dec 2006 , 8:49pm by CakesUnleashed

thinkpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thinkpink Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 10

This is a strange question I know. I've done cake decorating for over a year now as a fun hobby, but I've recently started a website selling clothing and other items for dogs. I'd love to make some decorated doggie treats to sell also. In my state I know I'm not allowed to do any type of catering without a licensed kitchen. Now my question is, does anyone know if these regulations typically apply to animals also? I thought I'd ask here before I spend all day, and I do mean all day, on the phone trying to get an answer from the health department.

9 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 10

No. The laws governing food only go toward human consumption.

Your idea is trendy and I'll bet it's going to be well-received! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck, keep us posted, and POST PICS!!

--Knox--

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 10

I live in California and I own, Woof Creek Barkery!www.woofcreekbarkery.com

I have had no problems producing doggy treats from my home. I cannot, however, create ANY cakes from my home if they are "for sale". I have to utilize a commercial kitchen if I am selling a cake. So, I believe the dividing point is whether or not the product is for human consumption.

Good luck to you! It is a lot of fun!

Deborah

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 10

So, do you have any good recipes for doggie treats?? I am a dog lover, I have two dogs, a golden retriever and a boxer, plus I have a cat!!! I know I'm crazy!!! If that's not bad enough I have 7 kids. 4 Bio, 3 step. Anyway would like to make my doggies some treats for Xmas!!

CakesUnleashed Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

So, do you have any good recipes for doggie treats?? I am a dog lover, I have two dogs, a golden retriever and a boxer, plus I have a cat!!! I know I'm crazy!!! If that's not bad enough I have 7 kids. 4 Bio, 3 step. Anyway would like to make my doggies some treats for Xmas!!

Well, since it is my business to sell doggy treats, I don't give out recipes, but...you can find several "free" recipes on the web. I apologize for not being as generous as I would like, but I have created "my own" recipes that are specialty items I sell. Please forgive me for not being more giving during this holiday season. Search the web, you will find many good recipes! Thanks for understanding.

Deborah

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 10

Absolutely understand!

thinkpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thinkpink Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to get started and come up with some unique designs.

MissRobin, you can easily find dog treat recipes online and there are plenty of books out there also. I started online and played with the recipes until my picky little eater was satisfied. I've also snacked on some myself. I figure if it tastes like human food then she'll love them even more. And just so I don't sound weird, I use natural, healthy ingredients. I don't normally go around eating dog food. icon_biggrin.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 10

Thinkpink. I'm going to show this post to my 14 yr old daughter. She wants to start making treats for our 12 yr old cocker spaniel.
I would only think you were crazy if you started typing woof instead of words.icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif j/k

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 10
CakesUnleashed Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Absolutely understand!

Thank you! I didn't want to come off as snobbish or anything and it is hard for me to come out and say things like that - So, thank you for making it easy for me! LOL!!!

You are a good gal!

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%