Dummies In Refrig Case--Will Buttercream Mold?

Business By lizamlin Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 12:45am by indydebi

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

In a refrigerated case? I'm a beginner so I know almost *nothing*! lol
I've been given some space in a caterer's case (woo hoo!!) and I'd like to have 4-5 cakes/items for her to cycle, 1 each week of the month.
I'd like to do a set of 6 Halloween cupcakes first. I'm comfortable with buttercream...how long til BC looks like heck? I know most say Royal, but I've never piped with it. Is it difficult to do?
I'll be doing my cakes with fondant over styro dummies-- will fondant last in the refrig case?

Thanks so much! I hope someone out there can help!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #2 of 8

When I make my BC for dummies ('BC for Dummies'! Hey! Sounds like a book in the making!) I omit the vanilla and the dream whip....when it's applied to styrofoam, it turns concrete hard. I've had dummies sitting out (not refrigerated) for months and they look still look perfect.

The wedding I did last weekend (5-tier basketweave in my pics), the bottom tier was styrofoam and when I cleaned off the icing from the foam tier today, it was still "kinda" soft.

The vanilla and dream whip must make a difference somewhere....????

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #3 of 8

indydebi, when you say dream whip what are you talking about? maybe a better question is what recipe do you use?

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #4 of 8

Here's the thread with my recipe:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html

Dream Whip is a powdered whipped cream... the intended use is to add milk, beat with a mixer until it turns to whipped cream. Walmart ... Aisle 8 ... next to the Jello and marshmellows..... blue box with red lettering.

I add the powder form to my icing and the general consensus is this is the reason I've had zero issues with the new crisco.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips!!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I add the powder form to my icing and the general consensus is this is the reason I've had zero issues with the new crisco.

Ain't that the truth! I'm a Indydebi BC fan icon_biggrin.gif.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8

at the bakery i work all the dummies are done in BC, they are not refrigerated and it doesn't go moldy. but if any one touches it it will leave a mark.

indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

at the bakery i work all the dummies are done in BC, they are not refrigerated and it doesn't go moldy. but if any one touches it it will leave a mark.

Try my recipe for dummies: It turns as hard as concrete:

2 lbs p. sugar
1-1/3 cups crisco
1/3 to 1/2 cups milk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%