Any Tips For Making Black And Red Icing?

Decorating By DanielleHester Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm by DanielleHester

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 13

This past weekend I was trying to make black and red icing. I used the Wilton icing colors, but they just didn't get me the color that I wanted. Do any of you know of any tips that could help me out with this???

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 13

Americolor gels work better. It takes a LOT of coloring to get strong red and black. It also helps if the colored icing sits for a while to 'age' the colors.

DanielleHester Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 13

Do they sell it in stores or is it somethin you have to order?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 13

You can buy Americolor on this site. I have a craft store a couple blocks from my home that sells it. I love it!

DanielleHester Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 13

Okay, thanks you guys.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 13

I have read to get black, start with Chocolate icing, then add the black food coloring. For Red, start with a Dark Pink, and add Wilton No Taste Red, because it can get bitter... Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jen411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen411 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 13

For black, start with chocolate icing. You'll need a lot less color.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 13

I DON'T USE BLACK AND RED THAT MUCH-I BUY IT FROM BAKER'S KITCHEN WHEN I NEED IT.
CHEF ANGIE

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 13

I DON'T USE BLACK AND RED THAT MUCH-I BUY IT FROM BAKER'S KITCHEN WHEN I NEED IT.
CHEF ANGIE

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 13

Another way to get a good red is to use a little bit of Kool-aid powder in addition to the food color. It makes a good red plus it makes it taste better.

For black try using a chocolate icing or use another color first. You won't use as much black coloring that way.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 13

I'm going to agree with all the tips here. Starting with chocolate definitely gets you a better black. And I've definitely found the Americolor are great. CK also sells a super red and super black that I've used with great success. Tori, I've never thought of using the kool aid. What a great idea!!!

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 13

I get my Americolors from bakedeco when I can't get them on this site. They have the best price I've seen for them, other than on CC.

For the black, they also have some shades of brown - depends on the look you are going after - just have to experiment with that color wheel.

They have about 5 or more shades of red - surely something there will get you the color you are looking for.

I will never use Wilton colors again.

JMHO

DanielleHester Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%