Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 5:42am by aobodessa

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:22pm
post #31 of 118

daltonam - STL is St. Louis . . .

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:42pm
post #32 of 118

Ok I gotta step in and say something here.... If they aren't paying for anything for this wedding, family is bringing all the food and such.... My brother and ex SIL did this for their wedding and I plan on doing this for mine, small and homey feeling... Anyway my brother and SIL paid for the cake... a vey big cake I might add... and she paid about $500.~ for that cake... My mother made ALL the food for days my father paid for the hall and the preacher and her grandfather paid for her gown... they didn't pay for anything but the cake....

If this couple doesn't have the normal expences that normal weddings encure (IE food, flowers, dress, hall, etc) then they can afford a $200.~ cake for a tiered cake and 2 sheet cakes... it's a pretty sweet deal! She'd better be happy with that price and jump on it because I can tell you I'd be charging her a lot more then that maybe closer to $300.~ or more and $1.~ per person... you can't even get a slice of cake at any resturant for under $3.50 a slice!!!!!

I'd just tell her nicely here are some names and numbers of bakeries that may be able to give you what you want cheaper and give her a list of Walmart, Grocery store bakeries etc and watch her come back to you... but I'd just explain to her that $2.~ per person or more is the base price and you're giving her a discount because you feel bad for her or whatever at $1.50 per person and she should be happy with that.... I can't imagine finding a wedding cake and 2 sheet cakes to feed 200 people for under $500.~ Especially when most places do charge $2.50-$3.00 per serving.....

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:08pm
post #33 of 118

Wow, this thread certainly rings true for us, doesn't it? icon_cool.gif I'm not sure why, but people seem to think if you don't have a "storefront," you're not entitled to charge the same prices. What they're not understanding is that in certain circumstances, we pay MORE for our supplies than wholesale. I for one wish Sam's would carry cake mixes, but I digress... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've dealt with this before. And ultimately, it's up to you to decide if "getting your feet wet" in the wedding world is going to be worth taking this order or not.

The large cake in my gallery and the fondant groom's cake that went with it easily carried 220 servings. Now--I do "small" meaning like 20 servings--wedding cakes on a weekly basis. In fact, I do so many of them I don't even bother to post them. Believe me--I was really excited and happy to have a big wedding to do. But at 1:00 am, with my feet swollen and my head tired, I was thinking, "Man, I should have charged $1000 for all this dang'd cake! GAH!" icon_twisted.gif

Just be clear with yourself if and/or when you take this project on. Even the sweetest of brides (I've been lucky) can be quite a hand full! There are phone calls, trips and supplies you'll spend money on that you probably haven't even thought about, lol!

I'm sure what ever you do for them it will be wonderful! Best of luck to you and POST PICS!! thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

Your work is beautiful. Seriously--it is.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:32pm
post #34 of 118

Here in my neighborhood, you can't even get Dunkin' Donuts for that price!!!!

I say don't do it! If you wnat to practice, then bake for your family and true friends.

I agree with Emma....she said that she has become KNOWN for expensive but very different cakes! If you do this, then you will become KNOWN for very INEXPENSIVE cakes!!! Trust me you will resent every minute of baking and decorating this order for her price.

Tell her, sorry, can't charge any less. If her family is bringing the food, then her family can bring the cake too.

p.s. why is this woman getting married without a dime in her pocket?

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:05pm
post #35 of 118

If you feel the need for doing a wedding cake make one and bring it to your bank or somewhere ask them to display it before they eat it. It would be appreciated more and donate it for a thank you and you will recieve business off that. Chalk it up to marketing thats where you business will come from. You will feel much better then being used by someone.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:42pm
post #36 of 118

Hello, dear sweet Paula,

Please take advantage of all us old cake masters and listen to the benefit of our past experiences. So now here's my 2 cents' worth:

*She's trying to take advantage of your "christian" status by cornering you with her arm wrapped around your shoulders in church. Some people just have no class!

*Tell her that you cannot possibly do the cake for less than the quoted price. You have a home to run, after all, and only 24 hours in your day. Does she think you're just sitting on your butt waiting for some benevolent soul to come and order a wedding cake???

*Recommend that she call around for other quotes so that she can discover that she is already getting quite a deal.

*Give her a definite date for a firm deposit on this cake. I can just see her stiffing you if you don't have some $$ up front!

*Make sure she knows the parameters of what you are willing to do to decorate this cake. If you have to be up for four nights making Heaven-knows-what out of gum paste/pastillage/royal icing/fondant, etc., it will not be worth your time and energy. You are priced for a VERY BASIC CAKE .... make sure you keep it very basic.

*Tell her that if you don't have the deposit of $________ (insert amount here) by ________(time) o'clock on Dec. ______(date) then the cost goes up to $1.50 per person, NO EXCEPTIONS!

*Make sure she knows that FINAL PAYMENT IN FULL IS DUE ABSOLUTELY NO LATER THAN ___________ (date).

*NO PAYMENT, NO CAKE, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

I've looked at your photos and they're really quite good. You should be flattered that she's asking you to do this for her, but she shoudl be impressed that you're willing to take her on with such short notice.

All this having been said, there is the possibility that the family is just incredibly cash-poor right now. I would love to give the benefit of the doubt here, but my gut tells me that they can come up with the $200 by the wedding date. I don't think you're outside the margins on this one.

For future reference, don't discount for ANYBODY (at least not when you're first getting established), and make sure you are pricing fairly. Your work, your body of knowledge and your time are all very valuable. Your willingness to move forward with this cake shows what a kind heart you have, even though you will probably just break even if you're lucky. Keep that smile on your face and remember, they want YOU to do their cake, so you and your work are definitely worthy!!!

Best of luck to you with this one, and please post some pictures! We'd love to see what comes of this!

Happy Baking,

Odessa

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:44pm
post #37 of 118

I agree with previous posters that you could suggest thta if money is a real concern then they could visit X shop. I often recommend people go to Marks and Spencers (a top end food shop), buy three cakes in different sizes, stack them and decoarte with fresh flowers. I explain they'll need to find out how to stack cakes and which flowers could be toxic etc. I'm doing it genuinely trying to help them save money and also so they have a little look at what's out there. They may come back to you, they may not - but you only want customers who value your time and skill don't you? Do let us know what you decide to do, we're all on your side!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:48pm
post #38 of 118

I would immediately say - DON'T DO IT. Let her find somewhere else to get the cake made for a better price. You are not REQUIRED to give her a deal or help her out just because you go to the same church, especially when you don't really know her. $1 pp is soooo sooo cheap and I can't believe that she even has the guts to crab about that price to you.

I would not send her shopping for the groceries because then she'll find more ways to tell you that it costs too much, knowing the actual ingredient cost, she'll probably try to just tack on a $20 for you.

Don't become known for cheap cakes, it will be harder to get out of that later. To explain why one person got a great deal and their friends don't isn't good for any business. Plus, what if her friend who booked you for the other wedding hears that you lowered your price b/c she complained about it?

Stick to your guns on pricing, you're not asking too much. Don't feel bad about not lowering your prices. She woudln't try to bargain with a baker in a store or bakery, would she?

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 6:53pm
post #39 of 118

I just wanted to add that while it's very kind of you to think about their financial position based on what type of wedding they're having, you are under no no no obligation to worry about what they could and could not afford. Either they can afford your cake at the price you have stated or they cannot.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:15pm
post #40 of 118

and this is a fellow church goer? Ha!!

I wouldn't do it for a dollar a person as then you'd get stuck with that price.

If you REALLY want to to the cake and are feeling Christian about it.

Do it for no charge.. ( I know , I know...but wait!!!)

Tell her...be honest.

It's your first cake, she's not paying you enough and that the cake is actually X amount of dollars...but since she is being your guinea pig, she's the lucky one to get compensated for letting you practice.

Ok..

Then do a bang up job with the FLAVOR and FLAVOR ONLY!!!

keep the design of the cake...very simple...and have them throw some slik or fresh flowers on it..

THATS ALL!

nothing more....I don't care if she can or cannot aford to pay for a cake...then if they are in such financial distress...they can always ELOPE!

I suggest that you do it for free, for the experience and the pictures..so you don't feel put upon.

Keep track of everything...how much you spend and how much time you spend making this cake...this will be your guide for future pricing.

If you have your heart set on making a wedding cake..then do it..but don't let people take advantage of you...

I have made and THROWN away more cake than I care to admit to...just because I REFUSE to give away my work for NOTHING.

I don't care!!!

If I want to practice something, I make a small cake and practice on that...and eighter take it home after I take the picture and my room mate and son will eat it...or I toss it in the garbage!

NO ONE is getting a CUSTOM CAKE for FREE from me.....lol

except the 2 people that I gave the money back and they are NOT welcomed in my shop any longer!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:33pm
post #41 of 118

RisqueBusiness,

Donating the cake also occured to me, but this bride doesn't appear to be the shy and retiring type.

She can still cause stlalohagal a world of grief by being a bridezilla!

And how does that impact the April bride? Is she any less deserving...

I say we all send stlalohagal a buck (okay 50 cents pp) to make a beautiful wedding cake that she can donate to the hospital, nursing home, battered women's shelter, homeless shelter, etc. of her choice icon_smile.gif

And then stlalohagal can take pictures of her lovely creation for her portfolio!

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:46pm
post #42 of 118

Refer her to walmart, i know for a fact that she cant get a 3tiered cake for about 100-150. If thats all she can afford -she can get the best for what money she has.

Wedding cakes take alot of time,effort and money and I would only comprimise my position for a real true friend in this case.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:49pm
post #43 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

RisqueBusiness,

Donating the cake also occured to me, but this bride doesn't appear to be the shy and retiring type.

I say we all send stlalohagal a buck (okay 50 cents pp) to make a beautiful wedding cake that she can donate to the hospital, nursing home, battered women's shelter, homeless shelter, etc. of her choice icon_smile.gif

And then stlalohagal can take pictures of her lovely creation for her portfolio!

JahH,

I do believe that I mentioned that this bride would be the GUINEA PIG..and as such is going to be compensated ...by having a cake of X amount donated.

That way...the woman CANNOT become a BRIDEZILLA as that would NOT be the "CHRISTIAN" thing to do..right?

Being humble and accepting of the "gift" is more in keeping with the "CHRISTIAN SPIRIT"...no?

I wouldn't tell her to "GIVE" her the cake..I would present this nice "CHURCH GOING BRIDE" a bill for the true cost of the cake..with a smile and putting my arms around her like she approached our CC member....tell her nicely...."Oh thank you so much for being my Guinea Pig!!".lol

but keep the cake as SIMPLE as possible....UP FRONT...let this CHURCH BRIDE KNOW....this is what you're getting.....free of charge...the cake that YOU want is ...X AMOUNT OF DOLLARS.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the woman will "all of a sudden" find the money to pay for the cake she wants!!!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:53pm
post #44 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

RisqueBusiness,

What a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:58pm
post #45 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the woman will "all of a sudden" find the money to pay for the cake she wants!!!

I agree with this!!!! I also feel that if she wanted to the cake bad enough she could always borrow from family or even closer friends for the extra $50.~ to $100.~ bucks I mean really it's for her wedding day!!!! lol

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:03pm
post #46 of 118

Okay, okay, okay, after rereading this thread gotta get in on this one again.

Who charges only a $1 pp???????????? And then there is talk of 50 cents per person - What's with that icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Words of PT Barnum echo in my memory...........

Ya can't get me to even open my appointment book for less than $2.50 per person and that is without accoutrements.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:19pm
post #47 of 118

Just a couple of thoughts to add the to collection of great and wise advice already given.....!

One - Tell her, "Sorry, I've got this food/shelter thing going for me and I'm kinda used to it. You know how it is .... kids expect to be fed a couple times a day, they want to be warm in the winter, blah blah blah. So there is no way I can do it for cheaper."

Two - People who cannot afford a wedding reception for 200 people need to cut their guest list. They should NOT try to cut the price of the baker making their cake! IT IS NOT THE VENDOR'S RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY FOR YOUR WEDDING THAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD BUT FOR SOME SPOILED LITTLE BRAT REASON, THINK YOU ARE ENTITLED TO!

(Whew! Boy, do I feel better after letting that out!) icon_twisted.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:26pm
post #48 of 118

This is what I would do... If I really wanted to do this cake for x, y or z reasons, and I'm feeling very "christian" and really want to help this bride, I would have her buy ALL the ingredients, I would even add to the list a roll of paper towels, and I would send her shopping! Have her drop off all the ingredients a couple weeks in advance (of course checking for exp dates) and tell her, OK, this is my gift to you (the labor) and I will not charge a dime for it! I would do something pretty and simple. I would rather be known for the nice cake lady that did the cake for free for this poor bride than the cake lady that sells really cheap cakes! If anybody asks, tell the bride to tell that you were nice enough to not charge her because of her situation but that your real price is $2-4 per person.
Again, follow your heart and do it ONLY if you really want to help this girl, you are the only one who knows her and the one who will be doing all the work. If you feel like she is taking advantage of you DON'T DO IT but if you find it in your heart, go ahead and enjoy your hours decorating.
Again, have her pay for everything (oh, include cake boards and rods) and make sure she understands that you will put at least 12 hours into her cake, hours you could've spent with your DH and kids. Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm
post #49 of 118

No matter how badly I wanted to get my feet "wet" by doing a wedding cake, and really wanted to add this photo to my portfolio, I would NO WAY do a cake for $1 per serving. NO WAY. Would the BRIDE work for $1.80 per hour? If so, I need someone to deliver cakes for me! icon_smile.gif Don't give in just because SHE gives you a poor-me story. If you give in this time, there will be others to come, and you'll have to do the same thing. Your cakes are wonderful, and you deserve to be compensated well above $1 per serving!!! I charge a minimum of $2 per serving for butter cream and $2.50 per serving for fondant. Of course, the more detailed and ornate, the more those base prices increase. It may be an awkward situation since you attend church with her, but at least you can lay your head down at night without thinking, "Why did I GIVE that cake away!" Good luck!!!

Amy

OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:48pm
post #50 of 118

One thing she needs to keep in mind also with this.... If this bride gets questions about her cake or the baker who did it she will most likely say "such and such did it for FREE!!! I gave her some BS sob story about how I couldn't really afford to pay that much for my cake and she ended up doing it for free/next to nothing you should try it!!!" So yeah she's looking at a few different things happening here, one she could get BAD publicity, two she could get ripped by the next one as well because she is so kind and warm hearted, three she could regret ever attending the church to meet that reched (sp) woman lol... But I'm thinking hard that if she gives it away or gives it to her for next to nothing all her friends and aquaintances are going to give the sob story for thier weddings as well... and when she denies them they will lash back with "well you gave Janey Sue her cake for free why can't you give me mine for free" and so on....

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:00pm
post #51 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

One thing she needs to keep in mind also with this.... If this bride gets questions about her cake or the baker who did it she will most likely say "such and such did it for FREE!!! I gave her some BS sob story about how I couldn't really afford to pay that much for my cake and she ended up doing it for free/next to nothing you should try it!!!"

I do agree 100% with you (I thought about this too), this is when I would stand up for myself and say that I'm no longer in that position and that I can not do it for free since I have some other cakes to do and I'm in this as a business. Also would explain that it was my first wedding cake and wanted to add it to my portfolio. I would be very polite since we are all church members and I'm sure they would understand ... if they don't and get up set... oh well... icon_rolleyes.gif

PGray315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PGray315 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:02pm
post #52 of 118

Oh my, I thought I could get through this thread without passing my opinion. But, I have to agree with those who think you should charge your original price quote. It is very doubtful that she will get a cheaper quote from another decorator. (My wedding cake base price is $2.00 @ serving).

Do consider that is will be very difficult for the price of this cake not to set a 'standard' for you within your church and community. I once let too much time elapse before raising my prices. A customer exclaimed that she came to me because I was so much cheaper. icon_eek.gif I raised my prices as soon as she left and I had researched prices in my area. I realize not only was I shortchanging myself, but it was unfair to other decorators who work hard at their craft. More importantly is I want people to come to me because they prefer my cakes not because I was the cheapest.

Don't do yourself an injustice. Your cakes are wonderful by the way. And your snowflakes are just awsome! You should be paid well for your talent.

Pam

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:22pm
post #53 of 118

I have to echo what everyone else had said, you abosolutely positively should not reduce the price for this cake. You will put in long, hard hours not to mention trips back and forth to the store for items you forgot!

I had a consultation with a bride and groom a few weeks ago. A day later the bride sent me an email explaining that the bulk of their wedding ceremony/reception services were being donated and she wanted to know if I might be interested in "sponsoring" the wedding cake. In exchange they would "tastefully" advertise my services during the reception. First of all, the bride and groom where dressed to the "nines" at the consultation, secondly she had on one of the biggest rocks I have ever seen. I couldn't believe they were asking me for a FREE cake to feed 200 guests.

I tactfully explained why I charge what I charge. I then reminded the bride that she found me in a national mnagazine and that I was so booked up from calls from people reading the article, that I didn't need the additional publicity.

She got the message and is sending her deposit!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm
post #54 of 118

Okay like you, I've never done a real wedding cake, but I've had a lady offer me $100 to make a cake that would feed @ 40 people which would be equal out to more than $1 per person -and your cakes are even nicer than mine!

Tell her you can do the cakes only (no frosting icon_twisted.gif ) for less than $1 a serving icon_lol.gif Or you can find a way to add on misc charges.
Delivery, cake set -like the dowels etc.,-, leveling the cakes, torting the cakes, best of luck to you in making the decision.

I can't help but think that being that this is a fellow church member, surely she has heard of the verse in the Bible that has the phrase "The laborer is worthy of his hire" - meaning if you are hired for a job, you deserve to be paid for the work you have done...and not the amount they are offering!

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:41pm
post #55 of 118

can i just say i got married very young, and a lady from my church made my cake ( mind you i knew her very well) i had 50 people at my wedding i had very little money at that time and so did my mother who was helping me pay for my wedding, anyhow i got my cake for $250 mind you it was very beautiful and worth $500 but i never gripped about the price if she had of said $500 i would have found the money ( cut back on something else) or would have chosed a less expensive design.... i know you want to help this bride out, but it seems like she is already getting so much help from everyone else, food from family dress from famitly etc.... 200 people for $1 is rediculously low, please dont drop your price, you should increase it...people are very good at taking advantage of others, even ones in churches, dont be a sucker, do the same price as the one you are charging in april or even more because of the short notice.. it seems she will only be out of pocket for the cake, everything else is covered, $200 for a wedding is so cheap, and another thing i have noticed is that people who are reallllly poor wouldnt want it known that they jipped someone because of their finacial position, its often the ones that CAN afford it that want everyone to know how POOR they are, to rip another person off... thats what she is doing...( in my opinon) give her the price again, if she still isnt happy then she will have to make it herself... and think of the other bride if you feel bad, how would she feel??? as someone else said why is she having a wedding if she cant pay for anythng...i mean its a cake, and its only $200 .. dont rip yourself off, youll be sorry you did esspecially if you find out that she isnt really that poor

mjee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjee Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:46pm
post #56 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I would rather be known for the nice cake lady that did the cake for free for this poor bride than the cake lady that sells really cheap cakes! Again, follow your heart and do it ONLY if you really want to help this girl, you are the only one who knows her and the one who will be doing all the work. If you feel like she is taking advantage of you DON'T DO IT!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I agree 100%!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:45pm
post #57 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopar33

I had a consultation with a bride and groom a few weeks ago. A day later the bride sent me an email explaining that the bulk of their wedding ceremony/reception services were being donated and she wanted to know if I might be interested in "sponsoring" the wedding cake. In exchange they would "tastefully" advertise my services during the reception. First of all, the bride and groom where dressed to the "nines" at the consultation, secondly she had on one of the biggest rocks I have ever seen. I couldn't believe they were asking me for a FREE cake to feed 200 guests.

I tactfully explained why I charge what I charge. I then reminded the bride that she found me in a national mnagazine and that I was so booked up from calls from people reading the article, that I didn't need the additional publicity.

She got the message and is sending her deposit!

I call this the "Starr Jones Syndrome" and people who CAN afford to pay full price for their cakes SHOULD pay full price for their cakes -- since when do rich people deserve better treatment just because they have $$$????

No - NO - NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!! I absolutely refuse to "Starr Jones" any of my cakes ... people already know my reputation and I like it just the way it is, thank you very much!

As my husband says, "My wife isn't the cheapest in town, and she's not the MOST expensive, but you get what you pay for and she gives an awful lot of service to anyone who hires her." Now THAT'S love!!! icon_lol.gif

Odessa

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:46pm
post #58 of 118

Gee RisqueBusiness,

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I was just posting what I was thinking when the thought of donating a cake crossed my mind.

Your post is an entirely separate and different opinion/scenario.

Just to make sure that no one thinks the two posts have anything in common but the word, "donation":

Attention All CC Members Reading This Thread:

Please be advised that my idea concerning donating a cake to the bride is mine alone.

Its contents represent what I thought when that idea crossed my mind and is not intended to represent or conflict with the idea/s of any other CC member/s.

Any other ideas concerning donating a cake or any variation thereof, are the sole intellectual property of their posters, as everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Blessed Be icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 1:40am
post #59 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopar33

.....I had a consultation with a bride and groom a few weeks ago. A day later the bride sent me an email explaining that the bulk of their wedding ceremony/reception services were being donated and she wanted to know if I might be interested in "sponsoring" the wedding cake......

You gotta be freakin' kidding me. Oh my god I've heard it all, now! icon_eek.gif

Can someone explain to me how these kids are being raised so that they think if they can't afford something, then somehow, someway, everyone else is just suppose to pick up the tab for them? icon_confused.gif

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:02am
post #60 of 118

If she cant afford it then she needs to make some changes like the size of her wedding and two why is she having such a big wedding if she cant even afford a $1 per serving? If you cant afford the new lexus at the car lot they dont just give it to you. You have to go to the used lot or get another job. She will i promise tell someone if not alot of people how great you are and how cheap! If she doesnt turn into a crazy mess on her wedding day and find some smidge or bs on the cake to cry about- and that too will travel from person to person. Im not trying to be mean or harsh-I too got married on a tight budget but if you cant get what you want , compromise/change something or dont do it til you can afford it. You shouldnt have to pick up the tab for her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%