Romantic Castle Set Grrrr!

Decorating By AuntieElle Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm by Shyanne_Mommy

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 19

What were they thinking? This is a very flawed design! The turrets are terribly top heavy. I doctored the turrets as I had read in a thread or two and thought I had it. . .Okay so on to my disaster. I made the castle for my DSD (dear step-daughter) today and we didn't even make it to the party and one of the turrets had fallen off the side taking out everything in it's path! I had flowers and green icing everywhere! I couldn't even stand to look at it!!! We got there and I tried to fix it and it turned out okay after the fix. It's always so disheartening to work so hard on something to watch it go kaput! My first and last attempt at a castle with that kit!

Elle

18 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 19

I had the same problem and finally sold it at a garage sale for $10. I'm back to the old paper towel rolls. Sorry about the cake but sure your DSD loved it anyway.

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 19

So sorry that this has happend to you!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 19

Sorry that happened to you. But are you talking about the Wilton Castle thing? I have been thinking about getting it but I had not heard anything about it, good or bad. I was just wondering.

Vicky

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 19

The exact same thing happened to me icon_sad.gif And the roof parts of the turrets don't stay on, I even tried to "glue" them on wich some really thick stiff chocolate buttercream, but no luck.

Don't think I'll be using it again icon_sad.gif which is a shame, because it is awfully cute

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 19

I had my DH drill holds in the bottom of the towers and inserted wooden dowels in each one. Those dowels went into my board with plenty of royal meringue icing to hold it in place. I also placed royal meringue icing under the turret to hold it in place on top of the towers. I traveled 30 minutes on the expressway to deliver it and nothing toppled over. Of course, I had the benefit of the information which I read on the various posts on CC. Don't give up on the the set. If you have any questions regarding how I did anything, please PM me and I will be happy to help.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 19

I had the bottoms drilled out with dowels. It was one on the side that was the culprit! Wilton can have this one back!

Elle

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 19

I was going to buy the kit for my DD 3rd Bday in December, but thanks to you lovely ladies, I think I will pass! Sorry This happened to you but I am glad you shared before I made a bad investment and not to mention a "disaster cake." Thank You.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 19

Wow, sorry to hear about the disasters.

I used the kit without a single flaw, that's counting transferring it to another location while holding the cake in my lap, and was very well pleased with the castle set myself....

I did allow for the decorations and icing to dry overnight before moving the cake....

I used fondant to decorate the castle set, and butter cream icing to ice the cake and to install the pieces on the cake with.

I removed the cones on the turrets till I got it to the second location and then just sat them back on.

I was very well pleased with the castle set overall icon_smile.gif

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 19

sorry you had such a bad experience. i know what you mean about them being top heavy. the first one i did wobbled a little bit, but its because i didn't use enough RI for glue. The second one i did, i set up the outside towers on location and didn't have a problem. the towers in the cake worked great.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:02am
post #11 of 19

Oh I had to laugh at all of the diaster stories. icon_rolleyes.gif

In August I was at the local cake supplier stocking up and the sales lady was trying to talk me into buying it for DD 1st birthday.

I actually asked her if she had used it yet............. of course NOT! icon_twisted.gif So I told her about all of the problems that everyone was having with it. icon_cry.gif

Her reply: they must be just a bunch of home decorators!! tapedshut.gif

I suggested to her that she should try it and let me know how she goes with it compared to 'all the home decorators"

Fast forward a month:

I asked her if she did the castle.
She then proceeded to tell me about all the problems she had with it and in the end she finally gave up!!! thumbs_up.gif

I then gave her the website address of CC and told her that she should join to get the advice of all 'the home decorators" icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:24am
post #12 of 19

I just helped a friend with it last weekend for her DD birthday. It was very difficult to move from one counter top just to the table without a touret falling. And we had put GP flowers on all sides of the tourets without thinking one side needed to be attatched to the cake. The instructions didn't mention that. Live and learn. I'm glad I'll just be borrowing and not buying that set.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:30am
post #13 of 19

I'm glad I found this topic, I have a castle cake to do in November and will not buy the Wilton set as I had thought of doing. Good thing I've been hoarding the paper towel and tp rolls!!!! Thanks for the input thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:41am
post #14 of 19

Just wondering, have any of you who have bought the kit and had problems, e-mailed Wilton and told them about the design flaw in this kit? I don't plan on ever buying/needing this, but if I had and had all the problems, would have demanded my money back from Wilton. If I remember right, that kit was not cheap (but then again, what from them is?).

deb

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #15 of 19

Well I have brought the kit....and of course had the towers fall off.... Thanks goodness I wasn't delivering the cake anywhere....But I learned I will not place the towers or turet on until I have reached my destination.

Of course I might just not use it at all and see if I can get some paper towel rolls and tp rolls....

Thanks for posting...

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Mooma

Sorry that happened to you. But are you talking about the Wilton Castle thing? I have been thinking about getting it but I had not heard anything about it, good or bad. I was just wondering.

Vicky

Don't get it!

Elle, sorry you had a bad experience also! The one I made for for a party at my house, it would have never survived a trip in a car!

Everyone loved the cake, but i could have done the same thing with paper towel rolls!

cholmberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cholmberg Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 19

I didn't have a single problem with it and I am mrs fumblefingers. icon_biggrin.gif
I bought it because my daughter saw it on the wilton site and just had to have it for her 4th BD party. Of course she wanted the cover cake with a billion fondant flowers. I had absolutely no problems other than having a wee
bit of awkwardness icing the roof items and getting the dowels 'glued' to the bottoms of the turrets with chocolate that would go into the cake.

I used Royal Icing to glue the cones to the turrets, and not only did
it work, in fact we had to soak them in hot water afterwards to get
them apart. We even transported the cake with the turrets already
positioned except the four (or five?) final ones that would be on the
outside of the cake. Those I stuck to the cakeboard with RI after getting
to my grandmother's (where the party was). I just put a small dollop on
the bottom of the turrets and held them in place for a moment, and then
they held on their own.

It was very time consuming, but I followed the directions meticulously and it turned out beautifully. Icing all those roof items was a PITA, but only because I didn't know how and had to figure it out. But I didn't have any trouble getting it all to stay together. I'm kind of hoping to make it again sometime. It was a real cute cake (in my photos).

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 19

I used this for my daughters b-day. I had a hard time getting the fondant to stick. I didnt use all of them cause I ran out of time. My daughter still loved it.

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 19

Well I am going to give it a try this weekend...of course I might chicken out and just go ahead and make the turets by putting cake in soup cakes and baking them....not for sure yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%