Vote On Bc Recipe!

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 12:32am by Antgirl

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #31 of 49

I have a question, what does the corn syrup do for the icing? I have tried a couple different BC recipes and I have serious problems with getting it smooth. I have even doubled the recipes to keep the air out and it didn't help icon_cry.gif do all of the recipes come out super smooth?

cholmberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cholmberg Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:32am
post #32 of 49

I'm still trying recipes. I really liked the taste of the 'decorator's buttercream' recipe. But it won't crust for me. icon_cry.gif I've made it three times and followed the directions to the letter, and once added more sugar to try to get it to crust, and it just won't. I do use it if I don't need a crusting buttercream.

dezzib27 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #33 of 49

icon_surprised.gif thats another question I have, what makes the BC crust?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzib27

icon_surprised.gif thats another question I have, what makes the BC crust?

As I learned here on CC ..... It's the ratio of sugar to fat. More sugar ... more crusting. More fat ... less crusting.

dezzib27 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:30am
post #35 of 49

Indydebi you have all the answers! Well, next to JanH that is icon_wink.gif !!!! Thank You All!!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #36 of 49
Quote:

I have a question, what does the corn syrup do for the icing?

I was wondering this too.

dezzib27 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:23am
post #37 of 49

It helps to get the icing smooth and thin it out a bit.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinron

Quote:

I have a question, what does the corn syrup do for the icing?

I was wondering this too.

I was told that adding corn syrup would prevent crusting! I'm so confused.

dezzib27 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:15am
post #39 of 49

I added corn syrup to my frosting and it stillcrusted just fine! Now if I could just get the smoothing down I would be GREAT!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #40 of 49

i did tried sugarshack recipee..is really good

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #41 of 49

i did tried sugarshack recipee..is really good

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:46am
post #42 of 49

I like reenie's crusting buttercream (found in the cc recipe section) - this recipe works...even w/ the new crisco! icon_biggrin.gif

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:01am
post #43 of 49

I've always used the buttercream dream. I've always wanted to try adding some flavored creamer but just never have.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmberg

I'm still trying recipes. I really liked the taste of the 'decorator's buttercream' recipe. But it won't crust for me. icon_cry.gif I've made it three times and followed the directions to the letter, and once added more sugar to try to get it to crust, and it just won't. I do use it if I don't need a crusting buttercream.

I use the decorator's buttercream all the time and don't have any problems with it...I wish I could help.

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #45 of 49

Is there any BC recipe without shorening?

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #46 of 49

I use this one also. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezasmom

BUTTERCREAM DREAM

1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup crisco
2# powdered sugar
5-6 T heavy cream, half & half or flavored coffee creamer
3 tsp clear vanilla

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #47 of 49

Corn syrup thins the icing a little (but doesn't make it runny) so it's easier to spread on the cake. After I make my icing I take out what I think I will need for stiff consitency then add corn syrup to make it easier to spread and not pull (which causes crumbs).

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #48 of 49

I have tried 12 different buttercreams from Cake Central. I'm really picky about sweet icings and about greasy mouth feel. The recipes I have tried are: WBH, Whipped Cream BC, Dream Whip BC, French Vanilla BC, Sharon's Sugar Shack BC, Baker's BC, Creamer BC, Buttercream Dream, Toba Garrett's BC, No Crust BC, Julie's Less Sweet BC, and High Humidity BC.

In the end, they all turned out too sweet for my tastes. However, I modified the High Humidity BC and came up with a recipe that crusts, doesn't have a greasy feel, and has the right amount of sugar.

Link to HHBC by vrmcc1:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-0-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

This is my modifed version:

1/2 tsp salt (I use popcorn salt)
3/4 c unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 c hi-ratio shortening
3 Tbl Dream Whip
1/4 c flour
1/2 c. milk
confectioner's sugar as necessary to make stiff BC (I used 1 lb 2 oz)
flavorings to taste (I used 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp Bavarian Creme Lorann oil)

Beat salt, butter, shortening and Dream whip on med-high speed for 4-7 minutes. Scrape down and beat an additional minute. Add flour and beat an additional minute. Add milk and sugar; alternating between both but ending with sugar. Only add enough sugar to create stiff consistency. Add flavorings to taste.

I would like to mention that I have not tried modifying any of the other recipes that I have made. I'm sure I would like most of them if I lessened the quantity of sugar.

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:32am
post #49 of 49

I didn't see anyone mention a meringue recipe, but the BC recipe I use is from the Professional Pastry Chef cookbook:
1 1/2 lb granulated sugar
1/2 c water
12 egg yolks
2 lb unsalted butter, soft
2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat water and sugar together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil (use a pastry brush on sides of pan to eliminate sugar crystals that form) and bring to 240 degrees F. Meanwhile, whip egg yolks on high speed until light and fluffy. Turn speed to med-low and carefully pour hot sugar syrup into egg yolks. Once it's all in, turn speed to high and beat the mixture until it is cool. (This takes me about 30 minutes with my KA mixer). Gradually add butter, adding only enough that can be easily incorporated at a time (I add about 2-3 T at a time). Last, add flavorings. Recipe makes 4 lbs. I used it for a 10", 8", 6" wedding cake and used 2 1/2 recipes of it.
If it has a down side, it could be considered to have a little bit of a greasy feel and it doesn't form a hard crust. It's tinted ivory because of all the egg yolks. It's quite expensive to make.
But it tastes heavenly, is very easy to work with and has a beautiful color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%