Trying To Avoid One. Question Regarding Cooling.

Decorating By nglez09 Updated 15 Dec 2006 , 6:59pm by DisneyDreamer

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 1:10am
post #1 of 8

I'm hoping I don't drop my cake again. icon_lol.gif

One thing that got me to do such a thing was the stress. The cake had been baked and still was a little warm, but I wanted to ice it and decorate it already so I was impatient and took the semi-warm cake and did so.

My question is:

Can I speed up the cooling process by popping it in the fridge or freezer after it has been outside for 10-15 minutes or will that ruin it/the taste?

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 1:16am
post #2 of 8

I put my cakes in the refrigerator all the time, during the summer. I bake 3" deep cakes, and they are cooled within 1 hour of placing them in the refrigerator. Never have had a problem.

Just make sure that there isn't anything in there that will transfer an odor to the cake - onions, bell peppers, salami - anything with a strong smell to it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I'm hoping I don't drop my cake again. icon_lol.gif

One thing that got me to do such a thing was the stress. The cake had been baked and still was a little warm, but I wanted to ice it and decorate it already so I was impatient and took the semi-warm cake and did so.

My question is:

Can I speed up the cooling process by popping it in the fridge or freezer after it has been outside for 10-15 minutes or will that ruin it/the taste?

No, not at all, I let my cakes cool, then pop them into the freezer with the pan still attached for about an hour..then I take the pan off and feel the bottom of the cake and see if it's cold too. If it is, then it's ready to be iced.

I take it out...set myself up so if there are any frozen spots can defrost....lol

I find that my SMBC covers a bit better, I use my cake icer tip, put the icing on a bit roughly...smooth it out a bit with a small angled spatula...my cakes have MANY nooks and crannies..

I pop it into the freezer...scrape it down with the small angled spatula...and with a gloved hand..smooth all the rough spots. I get a nice, smooth surface for all my fondant cakes.

Sometimes throw them back in the freezer while I roll out my fondant..lol

But once they are covered, they stay out...they get picked up within a 24 hour window.

I find that this works for me and makes the cake a bit moister. When I didn't do this some of my clients would tell me the cake was a bit on the dry side..

But then again the customers I deal with are used to dripping rum cakes! lol

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 1:26am
post #4 of 8

One thing I will say is someone posted before that putting the cake in the fridge to cool will help it dry out because of the air circulating or something so if you do do that make sure you wrap it up with cling wrap. I put mine in the freezer instead of the fridge and it helps keep it moist icon_biggrin.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:33am
post #5 of 8

Freezer, not fridge - good advice! Freezing locks moisture in, fridge draws it out.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 8

Those are interesting tips with the freezer. Do you need to cover with cling film when putting it in the freezer? Or because it's only an hour or so it's fine? If you put it in with the pan attached do you put it face down?

TIA.
Nicole

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:03am
post #7 of 8

I always just stick my cakes in the fridge to cool. I have to do it pretty often cos I always leave everything till the last minute. I have never had a problem doing it.

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 8

Trust me i am as impatient as they come but i have taken many sanitation and food safety classes and if you put a hot or even warm pan in the fridge it will drop the temp of you refrigerator they by putting your other food in danger!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%