Freezing Pies

Decorating By grama_j Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 12:16am by Tkeys

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 7

I need two pies for next weekend.... one lemon and one coconut... can I make these ahead, and put the meringue on at the last minute, or can I just make and freeze the crust, and finish it off at the last minute, or should I just stay up all night and finish the project then ? I'm really swamped this week....

6 replies
grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 7

Oh, come on....... SOMEONE must know or have a idea ..... I've got the crusts already made, I just need to know how far I can go for today...

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

I know you can at very least make and freeze the crusts. I have done that a lot and it works just fine. Not sure about the filling though, although I can't think of a reason why you couldn't. Hope that helps at least some!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

Here are a few links:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf212408.tip.html

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/CookingSchool/FreezingBakedGoods.htm

They do not reccomend freezing custard or creme pies, but there are suggestions for freezing the crusts.

I hope this helps!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 7

grama_j
I would do the crust and freeze them and not fill but you can make your filling and just refrigerate it too save a little time. I wouldn't freeze the filling tho!

Linda

grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 7

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU, one and all.... I'll get the crusts in the freezer right now.... at least that part will be done........

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

I was always taught to make pies and freeze them uncooked . . . . but i think you are talking about different kind of pies than fruit pies. When I make apple or blueberry or other fruit pies, I make them, freeze them. You have to bring them to room temp before cooking them. Cooked pie crust does not freeze well.

Some pie crusts can keep in the refrigerator. I have a way to make the pie crust mix, and hold that for weeks in a container, just add the liquid at the last minute.

I'm not sure if that helps at all?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%