Another Newbie With Questions About Gumpast/fondant!!!

Decorating By countrygirl65 Updated 7 Oct 2007 , 8:56am by countrygirl65

countrygirl65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirl65 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #1 of 5

I'm new to CC and LOVE IT!!!!! Of course I am full of questions. I am also new to using gumpaste and fondant. My friend and I have several cakes due in the next few weeks and months. The question we need answering now is this: We will be making gumpaste/fondant flowers and bows. Can we make up several of these and store them until we need them for the next cake? If so what is the best method of storage and how long can we store them?

4 replies
1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:51am
post #2 of 5

You can store gumpaste decor forever. Just let your clients know not to eat them. They are strictly for decoration. When you make your flowers and bows be sure store them in a cool dry place. Humidity may cause them to colapse. When I make gumpaste decor I dry them in a food dehydrator. Fondant can be used but there is a shelf life. I dont know how long though. If Im using fondant that cake is going out within the next 3 days. Im sure someone else will know more, but I hope this helps.

countrygirl65 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 4:02am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure about the gumpaste but needed some verification. I too am not sure about the shelflife of fondant. Again, thank you so much for the information. thumbs_up.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:23am
post #4 of 5

fondant is fine to make ahead and dry. It does take longer than gumpaste and should be store away from light (colors fade) and kept very dry. Don't put it in an airtight container, let air circulate.

countrygirl65 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:56am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the additional information. I really do appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%