Cake Fillings Just Learning

Baking By Dawne0174 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 9:23am by mgigglin

Dawne0174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawne0174 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #1 of 21

Hi Everyone,

I have been making cakes for about a year and am really enjoying now, however, I only stick with buttercream, I am very intimidated by the amount of recipes there are out there, and I'm really not sure what fillings really make a cake taste wonderful. For instance, I was going to make a chocolate cake with strawberry filling and someone had told me that really doesn't work together. What does? Strawberry with yellow, chocolate w/raspberry, and what about those yummy recipes with kaluha in them, what type of cake do you make with them. Would be really interested if I could get your opinions. Oh by the way I only use boxed cakes, chocolate and yellow/white right now as well. Thanks! icon_redface.gif

20 replies
swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:48am
post #2 of 21

It's nice to know I'm not alone! I too only use box mixes (mainly because the first scratch cake I tried tasted like crap,well crapy flour!) and buttercream. I have been wondering about fillings, ganache, and even liquors. Sorry I can't help-I guess we'll have to bump this to someone. I just wanted you to know that your not the only one! I did recently buy the Cake Bible so I'm excited to give it a try. Although I'm guessing alot of it will be trial and error-Good Luck icon_wink.gif

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 21

Welcome to CC!

I too have yet to find this out. I'm not a a big risk taker. But, if it sounds good to you, why not give it a try!? I also use box mixes and mainly buttercream. I think most people use box???...

I would love to have a "list" of good combinations! icon_wink.gif

You'll never know unless you give it a try, right?!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:04am
post #4 of 21

Hi and Welcome, Dawne0174. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread with a link to CC acronyms and some cake/filling/frosting combo threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-528783-.html

Cake filling threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-245861-.html

The WASC cake is a very moist, doctored cake mix recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

Using DH white cake mix, the recipe (using 2 mixes) yields a tad over 14 cups of batter. (However, you can make 1/2 the recipe using only 1 mix for 7 cups.)

Here's an expanded flavors version that uses any flavor cake mix, or extract. You can also use lemon or berry juice, white chocolate, jello or yogurt and add raspberries or strawberries and more:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

HTH

BTW, strawberry & chocolate does work. icon_smile.gif

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 21

Hi!
I too use boxed cake mixes. I'm not sure if most people do or not? I'm afraid a scratch recipe wouldn't turn out as good. I've only used chocolate pudding as a filling at the only cake decorating class I attended. I'm a little scared of the filling because I haven't used it. I also use buttercream icing, but I don't use the butter because it turned my icing yellowish. I use all crisco and the Wilton recipe with butter flavoring and vanilla flavoring. This was the only recipe I could find before I found this sight! Now there are some many other ways I will have to try! Has anyone used the Wilton recipe and changed to another recipe. Let me know. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 21

Chocolate and Strawberry doesn't go together??!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Jibbies

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 21

Ummm... Can we say...Chocolate Covered Strawberry's...chuckle icon_razz.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 21

Well, my personal faves are white cake w/ rasp. filling. It's probably the EASIST filling I've ever made and soo good esp. w/ the cream cheese icing. My other personal fave is devil's food chocolate w/ whipped choc. ganache filling. Found both of these fillings on this site and they are super easy and delicious icon_smile.gif Plus, I just made a small wedding cake (my first) and one of the guests told me today it (the choc. w/ whipped ganache filling) was probably the best wedding cake she has EVER eaten and she's been to alot of weddings!!! Oh, btw, I only use box mixes too.....and usually just Pillsbury, personal preference icon_smile.gif

MrsTCHJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTCHJ Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 21

CountryCakes-I used the Wilton recipe for a long time. I didn't really like it but didn't know any better. Until I found this site!! I think I've tried just about every frosting recipe in the recipe section. I use BC Dream almost religiously. Once you taste it, you will NEVER go back to the Wilton recipe.

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 21

save

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 21

Just a nice reminder, we have been asked to not do "save" just go down to the bottom of the page and click on "watch this topic" it works the same without having posts to skip over in a thread. thumbs_up.gif

Jibbies

CountryCakes2007 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks MrsTCH3!! Do you use the butter? If you make it with butter, do you have a problem making roses or with it being yellow?

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 21

I too use boxed, it's just too easy. I think we've become accustomed to the flavor; scratch is more dense and sometimes is not as flavorful. My mom's wonderful chocolate cake from childhood doesn't taste the same as I remember so I go with boxed. Now that I'm baking more cakes I have ventured out to new flavors - when they go on sale. However from what I've read about doing wedding cakes, it sounds like scratch is the way to go for the denser heavier cake to hold up all those tiers.

I would like to do more scratch with different flavorings so it is helpful to know what works. I don't always have the funds to experiment with flavorings that are costly and don't taste good and if you have to order it....add on the shipping. One of the flavorings I'd like to try in a scratch cake is butter or butter pecan. I tried that in a boxed cake and liked it.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 21

I've never seen a butter pecan cake mix!! Sounds good! I have a Wilton cupcake book that has alot of cupcake ideas, mini cakes, recipes that use cake mixes, frostings, and fillings. I've never tried any of them yet. They look really good and easy. Most of ingredients are very common ones.

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

However from what I've read about doing wedding cakes, it sounds like scratch is the way to go for the denser heavier cake to hold up all those tiers.

I am also a boxed baker and if you use the durable cake mix extender in the recipe section you will get a dense cake that is really moist I use that recipe everytime I bake any cake.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakes2007

Hi!
I too use boxed cake mixes. I'm not sure if most people do or not? I'm afraid a scratch recipe wouldn't turn out as good. I've only used chocolate pudding as a filling at the only cake decorating class I attended. I'm a little scared of the filling because I haven't used it. I also use buttercream icing, but I don't use the butter because it turned my icing yellowish. I use all crisco and the Wilton recipe with butter flavoring and vanilla flavoring. This was the only recipe I could find before I found this sight! Now there are some many other ways I will have to try! Has anyone used the Wilton recipe and changed to another recipe. Let me know. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

Oh yea! Now I only use sugarshacks recipe for buttercream and for my chocolate buttercream I use the chocolate buttercream for decorators recipe. Both of these recipes are on file in the recipe section here at cc.

DON'T be afraid of using all different kinds of fillings. If you have any doubt in your mind at all then simply type out a quick post here at CC and someone will help you out pretty darn fast.

I just started cake decorating this past January and have learned so much from the members here at Cake Central. You will be amazed how much you will learn in a very short time too! icon_smile.gif

MrsTCHJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTCHJ Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 21

Yes, I use butter. It looks a little yellow at first but after the sugar is added it's very white!

CountryCakes2007 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks to everyone for the information! CC is an awesome sight to get good info and tips! Can't wait to start trying out these recipes!! Thank again to everyone, ya'll are very kind!

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 21

I just did my first wedding cake with Chocolate fudge cake and a chocolate and strawberry whipped filling... it was heaven!

Tisk tisk to whomever said chocolate doesn't go with strawberries... the cupid wouldn't want to read this one I think he may shoot hisself in the foot

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #20 of 21

Chocolate cake and strawberry filling is AWSOME!!! Who told you that it didn't go together? I use box mixes and scratch cake recipes depending on the recipe I want. I made a chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling for a baby shower and I have an order for a chocolate cake with strawberry mousse filling. There's so many great filling ideas. I just finished my Zebra Gift Box cake which was chocolate chip cake with chocolate ganache filling. Ganache is also very AWSOME!! Sometimes I'll go to different cake websites to see what's on their menu for ideas and of course here on CC there's wonderful ideas for combinations!

Jacqui

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:23am
post #21 of 21

I am new to CC but have been making cakes for the family for years. I love making cakes from scratch. I just found the WASC recipe (white almond sour cream) on this site, I torted it with a raspberry filling for the top and bottom layers and buttercream frosting in the middle. This is now my fave white cake recipe!! I do use box recipes but dress them up a little. Please, do not be afraid to try a recipe from scratch, you will be amazed with the results!! It is trial and error to find what you like and don't like but I have found that it is worth the extra minute to do it from scratch. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%