Classes At Squires Kitchen In Engalnd...any Opinions?

Decorating By miss_sweetstory Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm by LisaMH

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone taken classes at Squires Kitchen? If so, what did you think of them? Any recommendations as to particular classes or instructors?

Ann

9 replies
KimberleysOven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberleysOven Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Ann icon_smile.gif

Did you decide to go on any of the Squires courses? I have been looking at their website and was interested to know if they are good.

Thanks
Kimberley

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

HI, I haven't taken any classes yet but intend to book for a Paddi Clarke wedding cake workshop - If you get there before me, let me know how you get on!!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 10

Come to Scotland instead! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

LisaMH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMH Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 10

...about 11 years ago I took a class there and learned to make Gumpaste Freesia's. The clsss was nice and the Instructor (Kathy - I think her name was?) was very good. The staff was fabulous. Lot's of fun toys to look at and buy.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 10

Ha! I opened this thinking... "ohhh, I want to take a class there..." and see that I was the original poster 2 1/2 years ago!

I haven't taken a Squires class, but still hope too. I need real help on my sugar flowers. I have, however, taken one of Lorraine's seminars (London - victorian lady and baby bears) and can tell you that she is an awesome teacher! My husband keeps telling me to book a Scotland class and take a few days to myself... I'm just waiting for planets to align!

LisaMH Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 10

...are awesome that way. My husband booked me to take the class (on our way back to the US from a trip to Moscow) as a surprise. We stopped to visit a friend in London and took the train to Squire's. A friend from Scotland came to take the class with me (also a surprise) and we had fun. It was just the two of us - I think they would have cancelled for only two people but she came from Scotland I was from Nashville, TN so I don't think they had the heart to cancel on us. Go there if you can. It was so nice!!!

LisaMH Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 10

My Last post should have started with the word "husbands". Husbands...are awesome that way. Guess I dropped him somewhere...sorry honey!!!

KimberleysOven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberleysOven Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance

HI, I haven't taken any classes yet but intend to book for a Paddi Clarke wedding cake workshop - If you get there before me, let me know how you get on!!

Will do icon_wink.gif And you do the same for me!! I've just noticed that Paddi Clark has a sugar flowers book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

Come to Scotland instead! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

I think Scotland is probably further away than Surray!! I'm central England - and there's not that much in this neck of the woods from what I've seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

Ha! I opened this thinking... "ohhh, I want to take a class there..." and see that I was the original poster 2 1/2 years ago!

I haven't taken a Squires class, but still hope too. I need real help on my sugar flowers. I have, however, taken one of Lorraine's seminars (London - victorian lady and baby bears) and can tell you that she is an awesome teacher! My husband keeps telling me to book a Scotland class and take a few days to myself... I'm just waiting for planets to align!

That's what my other half has said about Squires; Just go and enjoy myself. But it's still a lot of money to spend in one go! (esp inc. hotels!!) so I'd just like some feedback icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMH

...about 11 years ago I took a class there and learned to make Gumpaste Freesia's. The clsss was nice and the Instructor (Kathy - I think her name was?) was very good. The staff was fabulous. Lot's of fun toys to look at and buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMH

...are awesome that way. My husband booked me to take the class (on our way back to the US from a trip to Moscow) as a surprise. We stopped to visit a friend in London and took the train to Squire's. A friend from Scotland came to take the class with me (also a surprise) and we had fun. It was just the two of us - I think they would have cancelled for only two people but she came from Scotland I was from Nashville, TN so I don't think they had the heart to cancel on us. Go there if you can. It was so nice!!!

Thank you for your reply icon_smile.gif Sounds like an excellent surprise to me!! Based on your experiance, do you think (if it is the same sort of experiance) the courses are worth the money? (they are about £125 for a day course up to £675 for a 6 day course)

LisaMH Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 10

Golly, I'm not sure how to answer that one...personally, I pay for classes that I think will give me the skills to help me figure out stuff on my own, from books etc. I have no idea what my husband paid for that class but I'm sure it was a lot. If it makes me happy he'll pay the price - he is so sweet that way. I'm as cheap as the day is long....
If you have the money and can re-coop what you spend by selling your cakes then I would say it is worth it. I haven't made a Freesia since the class but it did give me skills to make a lot of other sugarpaste flowers.
I hope, if you take a class, that you will post pictures of your work.
Nice "chatting" with you... Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%