What Is With The White Cake??????

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 9 Dec 2006 , 4:39pm by bobwonderbuns

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:07am
post #1 of 12

Last night I made an 8 inch DH white cake with the extender recipe that I always use and it rose up beautifully and then got a rim around the top. When it cooled it just flattened out, sunk and tore.

Tonight I baked the replacement and the same thing happened. It gets all deformed around the edges and then cracks and big chunks fall off.

I did everything the same as always. I also baked a small 5 inch with the leftover batter and the same thing happened to that one.

It's not my oven because the day before I made devil's food and it came out just fine.

Here's a photo but if you can't see, it's cracked all the way around the sides almost up to the top. There is no way you could torte this cake without it crumbling to pieces.

HELP! I need to decorate this cake tomorrow and I'm going to have to rebake it for the 3rd time now.
LL

11 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 6:04am
post #2 of 12

Have you checked your cake mix box to make sure it has not expired? Is there something in the extender that might cause a problem? I have had something similar happen with out of date baking powder.

C

CherylAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylAnn Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 6:57am
post #3 of 12

You might try a different brand cake mix, I have heard of this happening alot recently with the DH mixes. Someone said they had changed their recipe.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 7:02am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp7

Have you checked your cake mix box to make sure it has not expired? Is there something in the extender that might cause a problem? I have had something similar happen with out of date baking powder.

C

No, nothing is out of date. The extender should not be the problem, either. It's the same recipe I always use.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 7:16am
post #5 of 12

I don't know how to help, other than to say it happened to me a couple weeks ago with the same DH classic white mix. I stayed up late to get a jump on baking a large cake order and it was a complete waste of time. Three two-layer cakes just flopped. All crumbly just like yours. I rebaked the next day and all was fine. Maybe I got a different batch of mix. Good luck!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 7:21am
post #6 of 12

did you forget the oil or use lowfat sourcream?

i wonder what would happen if you lined the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper.

are you removing it from the pan before 10 minutes?

i have been using bakers joy (something like that) an oil spray in a can that has flour in it, lately and my cakes are all just sliding right out without having to worry about sticking or cracking and crumbling.

i hope you find the answer that helps make the difference.

sabiha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabiha Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 9:05am
post #7 of 12

hi, whenever i have had a cake turn out like this has been when the quantity of liquids was more in the mixture, the cake turns out so soft that it cannnot hold up, so sinks and crumble..........i have never used ready cake mixes .......always make them from scratch .......maybe if u are using any kind of liquid , reduce the amount .........i hope this has been of help ........ good luck

jonilovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonilovescake Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 10:37am
post #8 of 12

Just my 2 cents, but maybe try a different brand than DH and see what happens?
Good luck, I know that's frustrating at the last minute.... usaribbon.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 11:35am
post #9 of 12

I only scratch bake, but I too remember reading a lot of posts about DH being a problem recently, so I'd try another brand and see if it's better.

Katrina745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrina745 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 12

Are your eggs fresh? I've had that happen when my eggs were old.

cakesbyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyann Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

I used to always use the DH. All of a sudden - I had this kind of problems. Changed to Pillsbury! (Tried DH again the other day because it was on sale--did the same thing). Now I am sticking with Pillsbury!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 12

That happened to several cake decorators around my state and all three had called DH complaining -- and DH told all three of them that nobody else had complained! One decorator took it to a specialized pastry chef to analyze and the result was the thought that perhaps some sugar cookie dough (mix) had gotten incorporated into the cake mix. For what it's worth...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%