All The Time Wasted!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, I am so ..."I can't believe I just did that".

So, I'm here at work (supposed to be doing my job, but hey, it's Friday and the boss is out icon_wink.gif

Anyway, yesterday I sketched a drawing for my sister's Halloween party. Well, I scanned it and started doing the actual design stuff on the computer. Well, dumb me closed the file before I got to save it!!! I can't believe I did that. Urrgh! So now I am going to try again....sigh...

(But hey I can't get too upset - it's Friday and I'm going to the American Royal later tonight for some free ribs and beer!) (The American Royal is this BIG annual rodeo and barbeque contest in Kansas City, MO. HUNDREDS of people from all of the country come to compete in our barbeque contest and a friend of a friend has a tent so we're going. Competitors want to have the most people at their tent.)

13 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 14

Ditto with the work thing but am "working" on finishing a book and keeping up with CC...and working on a UT design for a cake for the big UT/OU game tomorrow.

I have done the same thing with various files, I always try to remember to save once I start on a file, then just save while I go along. We have had some power outages at our old building (squirrel in a transformer more than once, stupid squirrels!!) and I have lost entire documents. No fun to start over!

I'm glad that our programs here ask if we want to save before closing, helps but still sometimes accidents happen.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14

Yikes! That sucks!! I really hate when that happens to me at work!!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 14

Did you try looking in your "Recent Documents"? A lot of computers save anyway... icon_wink.gif Worth a look...

ccr03 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 14

Man! I checked the recent documents and nothing. Oh, well. I don't have any cakes this weekend - which is always a good and bad thing - so I'll be able to play around on my computer at home.

Dude, I am going to be such a computer nerd this weekend. I'm am always going to do some wedding cake mock-ups for a consultation Sunday.

ccr03 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:29am
post #6 of 14

Okay, just thought I'd share. This is what I was working on. I this is what I am going to make for my sister's Halloween party. It'll be fondant with chocolate skull candies & lollipops. I have the topper as a skull and was thinking that would be a RKT covered in fondant, but I have a paid cake that day too, so I may just do a simple "Happy Halloween" sign made of fondant - just something that would take as much time.

Let me know what you think!!!
LL

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #7 of 14

Great for Halloween! I love it! What program are you using to draw this?? What a great idea to do that.....that opens a whole new world to me!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #8 of 14

As creepy as skulls are to me, I LOVE this cake idea!! Can't wait to see it executed!!! (no pun intended)

thumbs_up.gif

ccr03 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 14

ha, ha, ha....thanks!

I actually used Photoshop Elements, and here at work I was using Microsoft Digital Imaging. But I'm sure you would also be able to use Paint or any other imaging software. It was really just a combination of creating the shapes with lines and filling them in.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 14

My work computer saves my work every minute (it's a Word-based program). I wonder if there is a way to do that with the program you are using for designing cakes? I can change mine to other than a minute also, but that's what they want it to be.

Very cool design for Halloween! It's the ninth and I can't get kiddo to decide what he is going to be! Looks like it's going to be another mad dash to the fabric store this year. Kids, gotta love em.

ccr03 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 14

That's right, word based programs can do that. Hmm, I'll look and see if I can do that.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 14

Glad to know there are others out there that could sit all day long in front of a computer and just play around.

I use a laptop for work, so my DH thinks I'm nuts when I quit working and get on the other computer!!! I even took my personal laptop on vacation - under the guise of needing it to scope out places to visit, etc. - but I was really watching my eBay bids and surfing CC.

Also bought a HP Photosmart printer while on vacation - can't wait to get that thing hooked up, and an exterior storage drive that I can set up to back up all my computer files daily, so hopefully the next time my computer crashes (two of them have), I'll have my data saved. Thank goodness one of my friends' husbands is a computer programmer or I wouldn't know a thing about some of this stuff.

Is anyone using a particular software for cake design? I'd really like some information if there is such a thing.

TIA.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 14

Cool design. Skulls just scare me. I can't wait until you have to cake completed.
I would like to know about different software available also.

ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 14

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I posted a pic of the final Halloween cake. I was originally going to do the lollipops too, but I ran out of time and had actual paid orders to do. Hope you all enjoy it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1154771

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%