Late Talking Toddler - Anyone Else Have A Child Like This?

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 11 Dec 2006 , 10:24pm by itsmylife

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 23

My second son just turned two and barely talks. I've read a ton of stuff and, of course, reading too much stuff on the internet will give you a heart attack if you believe it all. I'm always overly neurotic about these things (I have the worry wart gene). AND, I know there are plenty of people who were late talkers who turned out perfectly fine (Albert Einstein, for one).

His hearing is fine, so I know that's not a problem. The pediatrician said to just monitor it for this next year since he does understand things perfectly fine (brush your teeth, throw that in the garbage, get your shoes, etc), and he does everything else he's supposed to do at this age. It's just the talking. He says a few words (probably around a dozen), and uses some signs and points to things). He babbles a lot, but nothing I can understand.

My first son didn't start talking until right before his second birthday, and now he's a regular chatterbox. I just worry (typical mom, huh?)

I just wanted to see if there were any other parents out there who had kids who were late talkers, and how your kids progressed.

Thanx!!
Denise

22 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 23

Mine was a late talker and now he is in speech, even though his hearing is perfectly fine too.
I think the smart ones tend to be late talkers, they prefer to watch the world around them.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 23

From everything you've said, I think your son is fine and it will just be a short matter of time before he's become your second little chatterbox! My 2nd son was developing normally, or even early, when it came to speech, but began "dropping" words around 15 months until he was not talking at all by 18 months. We had all the testing done, and he is borderline autism. Still not enough to be officially diagnosed, but not enough the other way to completely rule it out, either. He has been in speech and occupational therapy since 18 months (he'll be 5 in Feb.) and we've seen tremendous progress in him. Something I learned during the course of all the tests is that if your child doesn't point at objects, that is a red flag. That being said, I think since your son understands and can follow directions, points at things and can do some signs, that he'll be just fine. Believe me, I know the worry we moms go through! Don't think I haven't watched my 3rd son like a hawk to make sure he's talking on schedule and meeting all the other milestones, like pointing and drawing my interest to things! (He just turned 2 on Tuesday.) Anyway, good luck, take a deep breath, give your boys big hugs, and believe everything will fall into place in its own time.

itsmylife Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 23

See... I knew I would find people here to make me feel better. I swear, I never understood (when I was young) why my mom would always worry about me. If I had a nickel for every time I said 'don't worry mom, I'll be fine', I'd be a rich woman now. Once I became a mom... hooooooo weee everything changed. Non stop worrying now.

Anyhow... thank you for the comments... I hope to hear more!!

Thanx!
Denise

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 23

My first daughter spoke a foreign language at that age, we're not sure from what country but she would carry on conversations with this jibberish. At 2 1/2 she suddenly spoke English and complete sentences. I doubt you have to worry, and by the time he is a teenager and talking your leg off you will look back on this and laugh. If he is functioning well in other area's he may just be taking his time on talking. As long as your doctor is aware of this and keeps tabs on his progress I wouldn't be too concerned. I also think sometimes little people like this learn that if they point to something and they get it then they don't really have to talk.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 23

Listen to your doctor. Also look at what words he's saying right now. My oldest didn't say mama until he was 17 months but he was saying tractor and grandpa perfectly so my mom told me not to worry, if he could say such big words he was fine.

I don't like to look at certain things online, they either are too gloom and doom or the opposite and there seems to be no middle ground.

My cousin in law has a delayed talker, he's in a program now for it (he just turned 3). I don't know if he has any other problems, no one has said anything.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 23

all of my kids were late talkers. I was worried at first about it but now I can't get them to be quiet.

itsmylife Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 23

I keep looking at the thread every few minutes, and want to thank you all for the replies.

mkolmar.... how old were they when they did start talking?

I don't know why I freak myself out about these things... I know that everything is most likely just fine... but I get obsessed with that teeny tiny chance of a problem that I just can't let it go for some reason.

I guess I just need the reassurance that my son is not alone (and believe me, I know better).. but it really helps me to hear other parents tell me their experiences.

Thanx for the replies.... I'll keep checking back!

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 23

Hello! I can completely relate. Around the age of two, I mentioned to our pediatrition that our son was not talking, he said not to worry. So, we didnt do anything. Then we switched insurance companies brought him to a new doctor at age three and he has been diagnosed as having a severe speech delay! We have him in therapy now, and he is making slow progress. He is absolutley normal in every other way, a very happy kid. But I am a worrier as well, and it aint fun!!!! Im sure everything will turn out just fine, but if you truly feel something is not right, try to get help, early intervention is the best! I wish I could have had my son in therapy when I first thought he might need a little extra help!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 23

Mine too. Mine is 3 yrs old now and she speaks but is not as fluent as some.

My doctor said that she may be getting a little confused because we are bilingual. But that she is fine because you can definetely understand her. She says words just fine is just that she is not as fluent as some other kids.

mkolmar Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 23

my 2 girls started talking a little after they turned 3. My son Trent had hearing problems so he started talking around 3 also with speech therapy help. My 16 month just says a few words right now, so far it's mostly MOOOOOM.

bekahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahscakes Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 23

Both of my boys talked early, but then my daughter didn't talk very much until after see was 2. I think with her it was because see had 2 big brothers that did everything see wanted with just a little whine. So see thought why learn to talk. Now she'll be 3 on the 27th and see talks all the time. She even speaks more clearly than her 5 year old brother.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 23

My youngest son did not really talk until he was about 2 1/2. He has the most perfect speech I've ever heard.

He pronounces things accurately and made full sentences early on.

Oh, and once he started to talk, he never stopped, lol!!!

I'd say if all things medical are ok, then I'd just wait a bit.

I think one reason my youngest took so long to talk is because his older brother did everything for him.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #14 of 23

my niece also started after 2...way after 2.

she's 24 now...and we're still waiting for her to stop.

It will most likely be ok

mkolmar Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 2:47am
post #15 of 23

yep, Doug's right! Once they start talking it's hard for them to stop! My 6 year old is in first grade and we get told she is a good student --except for all of her talking.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:57am
post #16 of 23

My nephew was a very late talker...maybe around 3, he started slowly. My brother had all the tests done...thankfully, like yours, they all came back ok. He's still very quiet, at 14, but he graduated as valedictorian from his junior high school!!!

That being said....it's still a great idea to keep a close eye on him...talk to him and read to him as MUCH as possible....even if he doesn't answer...keep talking!
It sinks in...believe me.

itsmylife Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 23

Thank you all so much... definitely made me feel better. Common sense tells me he's fine... but you know how it is... you go somewhere and someone says something like..... 'oh my, he's not talking yet? my "son, daughter, neice, etc" was reciting shakespeare at age two'.

So, you know, it gets you thinking....my 3.5 yo son started talking just before two, and I think a lot of you are right about him doing a lot of the talking for his little brother.

It just helps to hear of other 'successful' kids who started talking after two.

(((((((hugs)))))))) to all!
Denise

itsmylife Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 23

by the way....he's the cute little guy on the right side of my avatar picture!!

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttle

Common sense tells me he's fine... but you know how it is... you go somewhere and someone says something like..... 'oh my, he's not talking yet? my "son, daughter, neice, etc" was reciting shakespeare at age two'.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif He will need this to start kindergarten you know icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No worries.....Does he have an ear peircing scream that can reach levels even dogs can hear when you tell him no? Is it followed with his whole body hitting the floor....all this 10 min before nap time???

Then he is 2...wait...maybe thats just my two 2 yr olds!!! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

seriously if he is active and can comprehend most of whats going on around him....I wouldnt worry..Im sure he can say A LOT more then he leads on to!!! thumbs_up.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:49am
post #20 of 23

My little boy was like that too. He didn't start speaking until he was about three. He is now four and about to start school next year and there is no way to keep him quiet (not that I mind)!!! We contemplated speech therapy but he didn't need it in the end. Still, keep an eye out, keep talking to him like a regular adult and not in baby talk as we tend to do when they are that age and he should be fine.

itsmylife Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:22pm
post #21 of 23

We had our 2yo checkup today, and the doctor said some kids are early, some are late - that's why we have a middle of the road guideline. He said to give him six months and try to get him up to 50 words at the end of 6 months.

We went through all of the other milestones with the doc with no problems (he takes his shoes off, can stack blocks, can go up and down a step without help, listens/understands simple commands, uses a fork, etc).

I guess if I didn't have his brother to compare to, it would be easier. Well, that and the nice comments by people like... oh, my little Jimmy has a vocabulary of about a 300 words now..... I wonder what's wrong with your son?! *this was an actual comment someone made to me.

I wish I wasn't such a worrier. I wish I was a much more laid back type of person.

Anyhow... thanx again for the continued comments and for those of you who have PM'd me. It helps me immensely..... more than you could possibly imagine.

Denise

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:38pm
post #22 of 23

Glad to hear the doctor was able to set your mind at ease.

My son has always been very vocal - making lots of noises and talking in his own language but saying little to nothing we could understand. I read all of the articles that said how many words he should be able to say by what age and he was no where near those numbers. At 2 he said very little we could understand - he just babbled in his own language. Over the past few months though (he's now 2 1/2) his vocabulary has skyrocketed! He talks nonstop - most of which we can understand! He repeats everything we say and uses it later in the correct context. It's amazing!

Give it time and I'm sure he'll start talking soon. Good luck!

itsmylife Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 23

Thanx alip--

Yeah... Alex will babble away non-stop and say all sorts of gibberish. He's real quick to imitate sounds and noises... just no words (except for the few that he does say (ball, baba, dada, bob, eye, etc.). If I make a noise, however.... like click my tongue in my mouth or make a zzzzzzzz sound... he'll do that right away.

I just talked to a friend of mine who told me her sister just took her kid to the doc (she has a 2yo and a 6 yo). She's been worried about the exact same thing, and the doc told her the same thing about the older one anticipating the needs of the younger one (baby wants his sippy.... baby wants a snack), and vocalizing that to her before the baby can say anything. So, mom gets whatever it is and the baby never has to say anything.

I thought all this parenting stuff was supposed to be easy icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanx for the post!
Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%