Duncann Hines?

Decorating By amodeoandrea Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm by Shyanne_Mommy

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 64

I know this is what Wilton instructors use and a lot of you CC people use. But I have had horrible luck! It always ends up dry and flavorless, even when doctored! Does anyone else have this problem? I will only use pillsbury from now on. I had to give away a cake the other day because the customer hated the way it tasted. I had to buy the mix in a pinch because the store was out of my usual. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

63 replies
Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 64

Hmmm? icon_cry.gif I use it all the time with awesome results!! icon_biggrin.gif

judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 64

What flavor was the cake? I have used the dh yellow/chocolate marble mix and it was horrible tasting to me.

I use dh for most flavors and I haven't had any problems. I do check the best used by date and sometimes I have switched to betty crocker mix if the dates are fresh enough for me.

Hope this helps.

amodeoandrea Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 64

What do you mix in? I use instant pudding and different flavorings. Should I be adding any extra eggs or water?
When I do Pillsbury it is so moist!

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 64

I use DH and this is what I put in it and I have no complaints...

DH mix
4 eggs
1 box of instant pudding
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of oil

The only one I don't do this with is the Butter Cake.....I just follow the directions on the box

HTH

christy633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy633 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 64

Dh works well for me - to the mix I add

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water/milk
1/2 cup oil
1 pkg pudding mix
3 eggs

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 64

Pillsbury and Betty Crocker are made by the same company and both already have pudding in the mix. DH does not.

I prefer the two with pudding in the mix because I know my cakes will always be moist. And why pay more if you have to buy the pudding separately to add. Hope this helps.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 64

I ALWAYS use DH, and have never had a problem....

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 64

I also use DH and have never had a problem. On the other hand, I don't use Pillsbury because I don't like the taste. icon_lol.gif Aren't I odd? icon_wink.gif

amodeoandrea Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 64

Thanks so much for all of the tips. I am going to try again. The sour cream idea sounds good. I am going to try both Shyanne_mommy and christy633's method.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:48am
post #11 of 64

Funny! Duncan Hines in Canada has pudding in the mix

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by amodeoandrea

Thanks so much for all of the tips. I am going to try again. The sour cream idea sounds good. I am going to try both Shyanne_mommy and christy633's method.

Please let me know how it turns out... Good Luck.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 64

I can't imagine why you're having a problem. I use DH alot and have never had a prolem. I hope your next try is better.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 64

are you using the one that has butter in it?? i actually do not.. and seldom do i doctor mine.. however.. i mix my longer than required AND i cook mine at a lower temp for longer.. never above 350... chocolate has to cook a little longer as its very moist.. i also freeze my cakes a day before i work on them and they are so moist sometimes they fall apart while cutting them.. never had a single complaint.. everyone compliments how moist and rich the flavors are.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 64

I just tell my brides that they really need to use a sharp knife to cut and serve their cakes because they are so moist and crumbly. A good slice is all in the sharpness of the knife.

sandeeb

tye Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeb

I just tell my brides that they really need to use a sharp knife to cut and serve their cakes because they are so moist and crumbly. A good slice is all in the sharpness of the knife.

sandeeb

i agree.. a sharp CLEAN knife.. i watch some of the caterers staff cut the cake and by the third or fourth slice the knife had an entire piece of cake stuck to it.. silly people..

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #17 of 64

I am a Wilton instructor and I have seen many times crumbling cakes made with DH...Now i tell my students to ue Pillsbury with pudding in the mix..Seems to be a lot stronger than DH icon_smile.gif

tye Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #18 of 64

Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, IMHO, dont compare to DH.. I wont use anything other than DH when using mixes...

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 64

I use Duncan Hines usually because it has pudding in it like Giggysmack has said because I am here in Canada also. I find it bakes better than the Betty Crocker, but that is just me!!

You could do the Sour Cream Almond Cake recipe that is on this site. It is to die for and it is moist yet a heavier cake then the typical cake mix that you buy. You do have to use the boxed cake mix and then you add the rest of the ingredients. I would give it try and you could use a different flavoring than almond just so you know, incase of nut allergies.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:18pm
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

Pillsbury and Betty Crocker, IMHO, dont compare to DH.. I wont use anything other than DH when using mixes...

I'm also a DH girl...but in a pinch I've used Pillsbury with just as good results!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 64

I've been so puzzled when I've read about people having trouble with DH. My baker used only DH at her bakery, and I was hooked from the moment I walked in. DH cakes smell amazing when they bake! My wedding cake got so many raves. From then on, I only bought DH whenever I was using a mix. The funny thing was, even when I went to a lot of trouble to make an especially wonderful scratch cake, I never got more praise than for Duncan Heinz. Whether it is my side of the family, my husband's side, the folks at church, my kid's friends, our friends...it is always the same reaction. People seem to not just like DH, but they love it.

I've been married almost 25 years. I think I've mostly used their butter cake, white cake, and devils food. They are very moist cakes every time.

So, what is the difference in the way our cakes turn out? I'm truly puzzled.

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #22 of 64

I used DH for the last 2 weddings I did. I will never use DH again. I am true believer of using Pilsbury or BC or I will make it from scratch before I ever use a DH cake mix. My most recent wedding was the worst ever. I pulled it together in the end and came out with the best result. I offered the bride a discount and she turned it down because I stayed all day with her and redecorated her whole cake all over. It wasn't to my satisfaction, but to her I saved the day! The cake split in half and the frosting fell off, I will blame 1/2 of it on the weather cause we had an extremely hot day. I'm not sure the cake would have held up in such hot weather, but it definetly is not my favorite.

Nicki

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:29pm
post #23 of 64

I am also a DH user with no problems and raves from customers.
I always use milk instead of water with any cake mis and add vanilla or almond extract depending on the cake.
The strawberry is the only one I'm not crazy about--the flavor is OK but the texture is very "crumbly"....it's just not my favorite cake from DH.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki9774

I used DH for the last 2 weddings I did. I will never use DH again. I am true believer of using Pilsbury or BC or I will make it from scratch before I ever use a DH cake mix. My most recent wedding was the worst ever. I pulled it together in the end and came out with the best result. I offered the bride a discount and she turned it down because I stayed all day with her and redecorated her whole cake all over. It wasn't to my satisfaction, but to her I saved the day! The cake split in half and the frosting fell off, I will blame 1/2 of it on the weather cause we had an extremely hot day. I'm not sure the cake would have held up in such hot weather, but it definetly is not my favorite.

Nicki

this is the same problem my students encounter all the time!

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #25 of 64

Before you give up on DH, try the dark choc. mix with 1/2 a box of dark choc. pudding mixed in. Also, use their French Vanilla with 1/2 bx. of Fr. vanilla pudding mix. They are ABSOLUTLEY delicious and I am a cakeaholic! They are very moist but cut, carve and ice very well. I always have my friends and family asking for them. thumbs_up.gif

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #26 of 64

I use DH all the time and this is the type of response I get.

"My Daughter, Aja met with you Sat and she brought samples home. Also my girlfriend and I just looked at your web site. I just had to tell you, you have the best tasting cakes I have ever tasted! and I have tasted a lot! LOL.
My 50th birthday is coming up and we needed an excuse to get one of your masterpieces before my daughters wedding next year."

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #27 of 64

I'm a wilton instructor in the Rockford, IL area and I will let all my students know what happened. I can't believe I even stayed calm enough to get through the day. I spent a total of 12 hours on Saturday with this cake. I would have dropped off the cake and been back at 5:00 pm to cut and serve. It would have never lasted. I was completely embrassed. A good thing about it all I had done a cake for the bride previously and she knew I did a good job.

Nicki

tye Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #28 of 64

ooo frostedbliss.. that sounds fabulous.. i have to over cook my chocolate ones just a tad.. but they are still amazingly moist and yummy..

tye Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #29 of 64

sorry nicki9774 that you had to go through that.. its amazing how what works for some doesnt for others.. and its not for lack of anything.. it just doesnt work..
glad to hear you stuck it out with your bride... that shows great character!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #30 of 64

Question about pudding in the mix boxes......do your cakes ever seem too moist or heavy when filled and frosted?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%