Need Help - Freaking Out!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 9:14pm by MissRobin

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 8

OK, so, I have this wedding cake tomorrow and two of the tiers are red velvet. I made Toba's Cream Cheese Buttercream (which I have made before), and I was crumb coating last night and I couldn't believe how soft it was. I started freaking out worrying about putting fondant on. In the middle of the night I had an epiphony, I used crisco (no trans fats) Yuk! It S***s. So, I went to the store this morning and bought me some good ol' shortening with transfats and I am going to make some Crusting Cream Cheese from this site and put on top. Do you think it will be ok??? Will the cake be ok to set out overnight with cream cheese icing? I am using Fondx fondant, can it be refrigerated?? Help???????

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

personally i wouldn't leave out cream cheese frosting overnight. I don't know about the fondx i've never used that, but i would probably error on the side of caution and refridgerate.

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 8

Cream cheese frosting by nature is much softer than regular buttercream. It does need to be refrigerated -- it should not be left out.
The Fondx will be fine in the fridge.
You will want to chill the cake thoroughly before attempting to put fondant on it, because the frosting IS very soft. Don't expect very sharp edges when you're covering, they have a tendency to round off. If you work quickly, you'll be fine.

DreamofAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamofAngels Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 8

I agree that it should be refridgerated. However, I live in south Florida and 2 weeks ago I brought in a cake to work with cream cheese icing. It sat out for 2 days (without my knowledge), but everyone adored it and thankfully no problems.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 8

Check out Earlenes Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe and her notes, I think you will be pleased. icon_smile.gif
http://earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

MissRobin Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks you all for your responses, I read Earlene's site and it sounds like it will be ok if left out. Her recipe is basically the same as Toba's, I am just not sure about it but I guess I will trust her expertise. Keep your fingers crossed!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 8

Yes it is ok to be left out

MissRobin Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 8

Just thought I would let you know, I emailed Toba's Website and got a response regarding the icing. It is ok to be left out as long as room is cool and dry! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%