What Do You Cover Your Cardboard Cake Boards With?

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 5 Sep 2006 , 1:27am by SwampWitch

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 6:21am
post #1 of 37

Hi Everyone,
This is so frustrating having a nice cake and seeing that ugly grease stain from the buttercream that turns the cake board all black around the edges of the cake. Do you cover all your boards with something first?

I never noticed anything covering the cardboard when I've gotten cakes in the past. I put some white contact paper on some of my boards that I reuse but that is kind of a pain ( and an extra expense) if I have to do that for boards on cakes for others.

Also, I put strips of wax paper on the board all around the cake's edges before I started to decorate it but then had a heck of a time pulling them out from under the cake when I was done. They pulled the borders right off the cake edges. Is there a trick to this? Or maybe I should just use smaller strips so there isn't as much to pull away.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
KimAZ

36 replies
farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 6:27am
post #2 of 37

There is a cake board foil you can use....I always use the silver one...but they have gold, pink, and I think other colors too!

Check out this site... http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/board/index.cfm

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 9:06am
post #3 of 37

i use contact paper. But if you want to use your plain boards with no wrapping, you need to buy the waxed boards (they have a wax coating on one side to keep the grease away)

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 10:22am
post #4 of 37

For the most part I use Fancy foil the food safe cake board wrapper from Wilton. I have at times when the Stores over here have run out just wrapped my board in Wax paper...that did fine and I didn't have to put any of it away.

marilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilyn Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 11:04am
post #5 of 37

I use Fancy Foil for wedding cakes and cover the boards for all birthday cakes with plastic coated freezer paper.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 37

I like to use wrapping paper and cover that with cellophane wrap. That way I can match the theme of the cake if I want. Also, if it's a birthday cake and I ama giving a monetary gift, I can tape the money to the wrapping paper and have it under the cellophane and cake for a surprise (This is mopstly for older kids).

Debbi

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 37

what about regular foil?? Does it work the same was as the fancy foil (or foil by wilton)?

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 37

I use regular foil and tape it to the underside of the board. Never had any problems and it works just fine.

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwogirls

what about regular foil?? Does it work the same was as the fancy foil (or foil by wilton)?

I think you'll run the risk of ripping the regular foil, it's really fragile and that would be really bad once you have the cake all settled on the board. Besides, I don't think regular foil will look as nice. If it's a cake you're making for yourself and want to do that, that's fine, no biggie. But, If it's a cake you're getting paid to do, I don't think regular foil will cut it in my honest opinion. You want your customer's to be in awe of your work, you don't want them to be able to say "oh they used foil, I can do that, that's not hard". Ya get my drift? I don't know how much the "fancy foil" costs in your neck of the woods. . . but at my local cake supply store, I get a roll of I believe 30 feet for $7 or $8 I think. . .I know it's not more than $10. To top it off, it's reversable, so it's gold on one side & silver on the other. . .perfect, because those are the 2 colors that are used most. . .

I say, if you can, spend the extra on the fancy foil and WOW your customers thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck!

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 37

My regular foil has never ripped and it looks fine.

We can only buy the fanci foil stuff at our craft store and it's outrageous in price for a very little amount of product. Not enough to make it worth it to me, when regular foil is just fine, smooth and easy!

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 37

I use Freezer Paper for about 90% of my cakes. Other times I will use a wrapping paper covered with clear contact paper , I have even used tissue paper covered in clear contact.

delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 37

I use wrapping paper also, gives you lots of variety. I will at times use regular foil, but I think it looks so plain and really takes away from the presentation of the cake. Plus the fanci foil and/or wrapping paper can help bring the appearance of the cake out! (especially if the cake has a few flaws) icon_lol.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 37

To me, waxed cardboard cake rounds are the way to go! If I want to dress it up a bit, I cover it with Fancy Foil. Oasis sells a 20" x 50' roll for $5.95! here is the link: http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/Products.asp

To really dress it up, I use fondant on my boards!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 37

Where do you buy your waxed cardboards? i hate wrapping boards all the time. ( when it's just a sheet cake or simple cake)

MrsMissey Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 37

I buy mine in bulk from CK Products but you could try papermart.com or another one is chefswarehouse.com (I think that's the e-mail address?!)

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:40pm
post #16 of 37

I use plastic table cloths some times to match themes and color. Super cheap and works well. I also like fancy foil and gift wrap/ cellophane paper.

peacockplace Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 37

MrsMissey, do the waxed ones not leave a grease rings. Also, are they more sturdy than the wilton ones? It seems like I have to at least double them just for a 1/4 sheet cake!

MrsMissey Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 37

The waxed ones are terrific! They leave absolutelt no grease marks! I've never used the Wilton ones, so I can't say. I don't have to double the ones I use, unless I put an 11 x 15 on top of another...and that's pretty heavy!

peacockplace Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 37

Good news! I'll have to check those out. I love ordering from CK!

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 37

when using the gift wrap celephane goes over it? I have never paid attention, but can you buy celephane wide enough to cover a 16 inch round cake holder? same with the fancy foil?

I think i would have to double it and then it would have a seam in the middle

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 5:37pm
post #21 of 37

You can buy cellophane on a roll just like wrapping paper.

peacockplace Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 5:49pm
post #22 of 37

I bought a super long roll of cellophane! It's FDA approved food safe and this joker is wide. You could cover my bar with it and still have some left over. I got it at michael's for 9.99. Wish I had the cupon at the time though!

MrsMissey Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 6:42pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Good news! I'll have to check those out. I love ordering from CK!

..me too! It's like Christmas all year long!!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:55am
post #24 of 37

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the replies. I bought some white freezer paper today even before I read the replies in hopes that might work. It was much cheaper than the fanci foil ( although not as pretty) and in a much bigger roll. I'm glad to know it works.

I'll have to try that plastic table cloth idea too. Those are pretty cheap and there would certainly be enough to cover many boards.

Thanks again!
KimAZ

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 10:31am
post #25 of 37

Okay peacockplace, and mrsmissey, what and were is CK?.

MrsMissey Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 11:01am
post #26 of 37

CK Products is a wholesale company that sells just about everything a cake decorator uses!

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 12:50pm
post #27 of 37

Can anyone order from CK, or do you have to have an actual business?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:00pm
post #28 of 37

That's what I was looking at too Bubbles.. I believe you have to be a business, i.e., bakery or a suppliy type of business.. you have to have a tax ID number... if you can't provide this, you have to take pictures of your business sign, etc. and then submit for approval before they will sell to you ... they are wholesale only or so it appears icon_sad.gif

MrsMissey Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:36pm
post #29 of 37

..right you are!!

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 26 May 2006 , 4:22am
post #30 of 37

Is contact paper food safe? I know it is used to line shelves but can you put food directly on it?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%