Relznik Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 5:00pm
post #32 of 48

Just down the road! I'm at Gants Hill!

icon_smile.gif

Suzanne x

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #33 of 48

I'm an American that has lived in England for 4 years. I live on the Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire border (off A14 between Huntingdon and Kettering).

Although I miss my original home so much, England has really been wonderful to me and my family.

Aside from my Dad and siblings the things I miss the most are: Target, Sweet Celebrations (a terrific cake store in the Minneapolis area), the US Food Network, and a standard American-size oven (I have so many pans that are in storage because they just don't fit!)

But overall, living here has been great!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:01pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyC1985

I dont really blame any of you for leaving England, Its not the nicest place in the world. I have one question
'How do you live with no pie and mash shops?'

You make your own icon_wink.gif

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #35 of 48

I'm not English, but I love England! Love London, the countryside and scones with clotted cream!
After college, I worked at Palms restaurant in Covent Garden. What great memories I have.
I hope to take my daughters their someday.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #36 of 48

I used to live in England - in Dorset to be exact. Left to live in Calgary in May last year.

My family still lives in England, and they regularly send me cake decorating supplies that you cannot get, or are very expensive to buy here!

gillybabes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gillybabes1 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #37 of 48

wow 2 people from where i used to live and work icon_smile.gif - i'm from ilford and used to work in a cake shop in gants hill about 25yrs ago. i'm now in derbyshire and just setting up a cake business of my own.

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #38 of 48

We're British but my husband was moved for his job to Houston and we've been here nearly two years now. I love it here but miss the UK. Apart from family (!), I also miss M&S, chocolate, decent sweets, snow, fish and chips, magnum icrecreams .......

kirsty1809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsty1809 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #39 of 48

Hi, I'm in Bournemouth (South), lived here all my life, and although expensive would never leave!! Just started my college course in cake decorating and got a job in a sugarcraft manufacterers (not sure how that happened!!)

Anyone else from down south!!?

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #40 of 48

I was born and bred in Bristol and have worked in Portsmouth, Exeter (best cream teas used to be in Newton Poppleford), and Newport Gwent.
I now live in Arizona having moved a couple of years ago from California.
The last time I went back to England was last Christmas and I must admit the weather was dull, the shopping was worse and the queues were horrendous. The one indoor mall in Bristol covers a radius of about 150 miles I think. Not a good place to be just before Christmas. Also thanks to the exchange rate everything was twice the price!
I came back home, went to the mall and decided I had become very American!
My family is still in England and love to visit but can't wait to get back home either.
Diane

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #41 of 48

kirsty1809 I used to live in Poole, so not to far from you

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:42am
post #42 of 48

kirsty1809 I have a holiday home at Selsey. We're there all the time, its so nice.

kirsty1809 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #43 of 48

Yeah it is lovely down here.

With the whole RI thing!!! I normally use sugar paste but at college we have to RI our dummy cakes for our course, I did it last week for the first time and it looked great, I was quite shocked with myself!!!! Never done it before for fear it would look terrible, but I have been convinced and will do most of my fruit cakes with RI now!!!

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:12am
post #44 of 48

What course are you doing Kirsty1809?

seraphim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seraphim Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:34am
post #45 of 48

Hope you all don't mind me jumpin on - I don't think a "Calling all Scots" post would get many replies!!

I live just outside Edinburgh (about 20 mins away from Aine2 actually - I am going to her workshop next week,can't wait) thumbs_up.gif

I am also going to jump on the Royal Icing bandwagon - it is still the most popular wedding covering up here I think (although I haven't attempted one yet but I had it on my own wedding cake) and it tastes far nicer than fondant.

kirsty1809 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #46 of 48

Hi babyc1985, I've just started the Foundation cake decorating course at bournemouth college and also a sugar flower course in the evenings (with the tutor!!) I'm really enjoying it.

DarthLaurie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarthLaurie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:08am
post #47 of 48

Here's a long story....my mum is English and dad is Welsh. They got married and then moved to Canada where my brother and I were both born. When I was 5 we moved back to Wales where I lived until I was 18 and then in '89 I came back to Canada on my own where I have lived since. My brother followed me a year later and my parents almost 4 yrs ago once my dad retired!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #48 of 48

Hi I'm from England and live in the north west, in between Liverpool and Manchester.

Lyndsey xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%