What To Ask For For Christmas

Decorating By erin531 Updated 9 Dec 2006 , 12:07am by BklynSuze

erin531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin531 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:49am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone Im just getting started in the whole cake thing icon_biggrin.gif and my husband wants to know what I want for Christmas. can anyone tell me a couple of thing that yall just cant live without. A kitchen aid mixer is already at the top of my list, but not sure of the rest thanks and merry christmas icon_smile.gif

11 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:00am
post #2 of 12

Welcome to the Addiction thumbs_up.gif

Obviously get some good pans. The Wilton 101-piece caddy has a good selection of "toys" and tips. They're a bit pricey - got mine on eBay. I enjoy looking through books - any books - and cake decorating magazines. And thank goodness CC is free!! It's the best reference site you'll find thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:09am
post #3 of 12

I'd ask for an unlimited credit line -- there's sooo much stuff to buy in the world of the sugar arts (or as I like to say -- so much to buy, so little money...) icon_smile.gif

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:17am
post #4 of 12

Just got my Professional Cake Derocating by Toba Garrett book, LOVE IT! At cooking.com its $39, compared to $65 on Amazon!!!

The 101 set you can get during around a holiday with a 50% coupon from Michaels.

Gift certificates to the Wilton Classes would be a good gift.

Check your local colleges also for decorating classes.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:31am
post #5 of 12

A bench scraper thing - I just saw a nice OXO one, they call it a food slicer/scraper, has a nice OXO handle - great for smoothing buttercream!

And some metal spatulas - a long one and a small one with a pointed tip.

Good cooling racks.

I like my small Wilton leveler.

And something or somewhere to organize all the cake stuff you are bound to collect!

ErinOBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinOBrien Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:35am
post #6 of 12

I got the 101 pc set with a Michael's 50% off coupon, Great deal!! I can't live with out it. I think this year, I want another set of round pans so I can bake multiple layers at once.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 12

The KA mixer, some basic tools and a few good books are the best start. This hobby is an ongoing expense lol, I have so much stuff (tons) but I could easily go spend a couple hundred dollars right now if I had it lol. Once you get everything you will then want doubles and so on. Welcome to the addiction! On the top of my list is the Cake Mix Dr book icon_smile.gif

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 12

Get some good pans in all shapes and sizes. The possibilties are endless when you've got a shelf full of cake pans!

erin531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin531 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 12

thank yall so much. I have a really good list now. thanks for taking the time to answer me, this place is GREAT!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS icon_biggrin.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 12

i didnt see a turn table on nayone lists.

i couldnt live without mine.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 12

I ws going to add nice turntable also! (another one that can be had with the 50% off coupon)

The 101 piece set has a number of things you will not use (or will not use right away)- but is hard to beat the value when you have the coupon. I beleive the Wilton book refernced may even come with the 101 piece set.

If you have kids that want to get some small items - extra tips are always helpful - especially for round tips, #1-7

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 12:07am
post #12 of 12

where to begin LOL

cake leveler
luster dusts
my KA plus the new bigger one I just ordered that husband is giving me but doesn't know yet LOL
turntable
tappits
pearl bead maker
large icing bag and icer tip
americolor icing colors
americolor food writers

the list can go on and on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%