Opinions Please?

Decorating By steph007 Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 9:19pm by mthiberge

steph007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph007 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

I'm still rather new to cake decorating, and have just made two cakes for a coworker's twin daughter's birthdays. She asked how much are they, and I'm unsure. They were both pains in the asses (pardon my french) and took a day each (the stupid unicorn broke and I tried to avoid using mmf... stupid me. I don't like how the face on the cheetah turned out, and the poor unicorn's leg and neck broke (hence the flower bracelet and necklace) after three times, so I don't think I can really charge all that much, but MAN were they pains in the asses! (I really wanted to stress that. icon_smile.gif any thoughts?

(my pics are too big... please check my photos and let me know? Thanks! oh, and the unicorn is pre bracelet and necklace)

15 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 16

I think you did an awesome job! I would feel very comfy charging $50-$75 for either of them. They are a lot of work and look great!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 16

mmm.... I would think maybe $40-$50 each?? OR you can multiply your cost by 4, and by cost I mean down to a small % of your electric bill, paper towels, disposable bags, etc. They look great! Congratulations!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 16

I am not good at pricing but if I did those I would not take less than $50 or $60 each. They look great and a lot of work!

steph007 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 16

really?? that much?? WHOO HOO I'm getting better!!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 16

I tend to think under everyone else so I'd say 35.00 a piece 40 at most for me. BUT you know how much work, effort, time, and cost went into these. So don't underscore yourself either. I understand undercharging for friends though too! Sorry I wasn't much help. icon_rolleyes.gif

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 16

I would charge a minimum of $40 each. It really depends on the area of the country where you live and what your customers are willing to pay.

taznjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taznjo Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 16

I am a sucker when it comes to pricing. Personally I would charge only about $30-$35 but that is because I underprice everything because I never think my things are good enough to charge more.

steph007 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:00am
post #9 of 16

I live in northern VA near DC.

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:08am
post #10 of 16

I think if you charge $40.00 for each cake that would be a fair price. They are nice so be proud of your work.

Kathy

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:11am
post #11 of 16

Well, the way I see it is that you said they took a day each. If you only charge $35 and it took $10 for ingred. then you have only made $25 for a days work. That is not good. That is why I said $50-$60.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:20am
post #12 of 16

I'd figure your time and ingredients (give yourself an hourly wage and stick to it) OR price them by how many servings they serve.

I must say normally I don't charge more than about $40 for birthday cakes, but those...are...TERRIFIC. You did great--they're both about as flawlessly done as you could hope for, by looking at the pics! thumbs_up.gif You should be proud, AND don't feel bad charging for the work and time they obviously took to create.

On another note, if you led the mother to possibly believe that they'd be simple and wouldn't cost her much, then found that they were pains in the butt to do and took you all day to create, you probably can't go back and quote her a higher price AFTER they're done...just a thought. That's happened to me...

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:09am
post #13 of 16

We are so hard on ourselves!

Stop your bellyaching those cakes are beautiful. Are you fishing for compliments? icon_lol.gif I wouldn't charge anything under $40 and I definatly think you could get as much as $65 each.

steph007 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:13am
post #14 of 16

no, I suffer from watching food network and seeing the wonderful creations there and then look at my own. For some reason Duffy can make cakes that actually stand UP and I can't. icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 16

ah, but that's...TV...where ANYthing is possible...lol

This is the real world, where 3-D cakes are possible but often not deliverable.

good luck!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 16

I also think they look great and would be comfortable charging 50$ a piece...by the way good job using the lion pan for your cheetah, I haven't seen that idea yet!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%