How Hard Is It To Cover This Cake Shape In Fondant?

Decorating By melysa Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 5:20am by dahliaw

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 3

i am in the planning stages of a large cake for my sons school. he is in a private christian school and they want a happy birthday jesus cake....very very tall....as the kids have been talking about how everyone in town is getting ready for the biggest birthday party ever (christmas lights , trees, cooking etc). so i am trying to think of how to get a really amazing tall cake. they need it to serve about 65. my thought is to do 3 cakes per tier rather than 2 so i can do the inverted hourglass type shape where it is wide at the top, narrow in the middle and wide again at the bottom, with 3 or 4 stacked tiers carved like that. my question is...how difficult would it be to cover that shape in fondant? i have not tried it...i have done round and square, but never something like that that is taller and shaped. if you have tried this , please share your tips and ideas on how to pull it off. thanks!!!!

2 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 3

WOW icon_smile.gif
I did a witches hat where it was 10" at the bottom and went to a point at the top (in my photos; last picture). Not too terribly hard. But big to little to big again?? Anyway you could do it in 2 sections and put them together in the middle? with some kind of decorating hiding the contact?

dahliaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahliaw Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:20am
post #3 of 3

It's really not hard at all all. You just cover it like a regular round tier but push it in at the "waist".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%