Need Advice / Opinions

Decorating By ladyvader01 Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 10:37pm by ladyvader01

ladyvader01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyvader01 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 9

I guess maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but it kinda bothers me... and I'm not sure what I should of done or do if anything...

I have a friend who told me that she had a friend that needed a cake, and she recommended me.This was the 28th November. She told me what this lady wanted and I said "Yes I can do it." She gave me the ladies email addy and I emailed her with my ideas. I didn't hear from her...... icon_confused.gif

Fast Forward 3 days...... Another friend says the same thing as the 1st friend, and says she couldn't find my phone number to give this lady, so I give it to her and my email addy, and find out it is the same friend that my other friend was talking about. So I tell her I emailed her already, and didn't get a reply. icon_confused.gif So I resent the email again.... Then after while I did get an email from this lady saying she didn't get an email from me, and so I replied and just copy and pasted the original email to her again.....for the 3rd time!!!! That was the 1st of December. I have not heard from her....

The first friend I talked to asked me today if she had got ahold of me, and I said "No." She then asked if I called her? I said "No, I gave her my # again when I replied to her email, and sent the ideas I had.

So my question to you all is: Should I have called this lady? I am thinkin no, cuz I don't need the cake she does.... When I need a service from someone I call them. I don't expect them to call me and say "Hey I heard you need a such and such..." Am I wrong and should I just forget this lady? She needs this cake on Saturday..... icon_eek.gif

Thank you all for any advice and opinions. thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 9

I would just drop it and go about my business... It is very odd now a days not to receive an e-mail when it has been sent several times, as you would received a "failure to deliver" notice. Anyway, if she really wanted the cake and was interested and it was a true that she did not get your e-mail then she would've called you up or ask your friend in common to contact you. Just my opinion, HTH.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 9

In my opinion, you have gone well out of your way to help this person, now just let it go. Like you said, she needs the cake not you. If she does call last minute it's up to you what to do. I would probably tell her that I was booked and for her to give you more time the next time she needs a cake.

Try not to let the public dictate your schedule. She should have enough respect for you to let you know if she wants the cake. If she gets upset, just put her on the list of either banned or nuisance charge added. icon_smile.gif

It appears that you have dodged a bullet. Take it as a blessing.

Michele

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with everyone else...let it rest! The one thing you don't want to do is give people the impression that you are so desperate to do cakes that you have resorted to calling them. In the beginning, I had to sit on my hands to avoid calling people after I gave them a quote because I am so addicted to decorating and I REALLY wanted to do the cake!!! Just give it some time...I bet she will call (or will come up with some LAME excuse again...like she didn't get the THIRD email)!

Good luck...and when she calls you should be a bit hesitant...tell her you have some other orders in that time frame...and wished she could have called you sooner...then tell her you will "squeeze her in" to your schedule. Maybe she'll get the hint to return emails on a timely basis!!!

-Michelle

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I would just drop it and go about my business... It is very odd now a days not to receive an e-mail when it has been sent several times, as you would received a "failure to deliver" notice. Anyway, if she really wanted the cake and was interested and it was a true that she did not get your e-mail then she would've called you up or ask your friend in common to contact you. Just my opinion, HTH.

Depending on what email provider she has, it is actually not that odd. Certain email providers (especially AOL and Hotmail) can have overzealous spam protection filters. Basically, these can often be set up so that only "approved senders" can actually have their messages go into the inbox. The rest go into the Spam folder, or even worse, are just deleted without notice to either sender or recipient that this is going on.

I work in an online-intensive field, and consequently send and receive hundreds of emails a month. I consistently have problems with certain email providers.

While I don't think it is the original poster's responsibility to call this potential customer, I do think it is a good idea to give the woman the benefit of the doubt, that she really may not have received the messages.

RedPanda

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 9

Because she is recommended by friends I would be more gracious than I would be with a regular customer. With that said . . . It depends . . . .

Is this lady likely to lead to more orders?
If yes then I would call today and if I had to leave a message then I would simply say "Hello we seem to be playing phone tag. Sorry I missed you again. If you are still interested in the cake then please let me know. If I do not hear from you by ______ then I can not do the cake for you on Saturday. Hope to hear from you soon" You really can't do more than that

How badly do you need the business?
If the answer is bad then you can't afford to burn any bridges and I would give her a call and another e-mailI before I gave up. There is nothing wrong with being politely aggressive when following a sales lead.

If no to any of these I might call my friend and explain how I was feeling and hope they understood that I really wasn't interested in chasing the lead.

Just my humble opinion.

ladyvader01 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your advice / opinions. thumbs_up.gif It is funny cuz about 5 minutes after I posted this I got an email from her. It says:

Hello Again Mary!

It is ok that I havent heard from you concerning the cake. I was sort of basing my decision on having it this weekend if you could make it or not. But as it turns out, we have decided to postpone once again. So, its ok. I know this is a busy time of year anyway.

Take Care,

Patty

So I am assuming she has her email set up wonky, so that if your not in her contacts you get automatically deleted like redpanda said. icon_smile.gif
As she don't need the cake right now I won't worry. I told my friend Krystal to tell Patty "No worries and to just keep my phone # and if she needs a cake before January 10th to just call me, since the email thing isn't working!! LOL"

After the 10 of January or a lil after, all my stuff will be on it's way to N. Cali, since we're moving back stateside. icon_cry.gif I will so miss England!! I only started decorating cakes since we moved here 4 yrs ago, and didn't do anything fancy. Mine we're just bette rthan the ones from the commisary.. and ppl asked if I'd make them cakes!! LOL Noq that I found CC, It is so cool!! I'm learning so much. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif I am thinking I want to try to make MMF and see how that goes..... lol I've only every done BC on my cakes. Ooops went off on a tangent here..

Thank you all for you advice / opinions!!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 9

What? I didn't understand the e-mail. icon_confused.gif

ladyvader01 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 9

nglez09- Yeah it made me do that too... icon_confused.gif I am assuming she never got any of my emails. Since she said she "never heard from me" icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif Even tho I emailed her 2X and replied to her first email she sent me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%