Fondant Cakes Yuck? Have To Vent....

Decorating By kellylowe Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm by Zmama

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 12

I have a question for all of you that make fondant covered cakes. We know that fondant gives a beautiful look that is almost impossible to achieve with BC, but everyone loves the fondant look. My dilemma is this... how do I explain to people that the MMF I use is tasty but might not be the texture they are used to? I can't help but be crushed when I slave over a gorgeous cake, and people in front of me make disgusted faces when they eat the fondant. I wouldn't mind it if they just pulled it off and left it on the plate. That's what I do! I live in Louisiana and taste is everything here. People just don't get the fact that it's for decoration!!!!!!!!! Anyway I had to get that off my chest.

11 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 12

What about using some candy oils? What if you gave them samples of the MMF so they would know what the taste and texture is like? I explain that your are asking for decoration that does not have a taste and give the option of candy oil flavor or BC...Don't take it to heart, I understand and have seen it done to the best....

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 12

Are these family and/or friends? If so I would just tell them that you know that fondant is not for everyone and you totally understand if they choose not to eat it.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 12

Hi!
I have experienced the same problem as you with people not liking fondant (the taste). Must be a South-thing - I'm in Alabama icon_lol.gif
After trying different things, I bought some "SatinIce" fondant (cakedeco.com) and people really like it! I've never tried MMF so I can't compare the two. icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 12

Many people do like the taste of MMF or a quality fondant. You can easily just let them know it is a rolled icing and although some love it that there are people who prefer to remove it from their cake slice and that this is acceptable as well. Just give them an option. That is what I do. I tell people when I make a fondant cake that I love the taste of the mmf but I do understand if they prefer to remove it prior to eating, it is not a taste for everyones pallet.

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 12

I really think that here it's a texture thing more than anything else. Some one told me that it tasted ok, buy they just don't want to chew their icing.

I understand how you feel when you put hours in to a cake and someone just doesn't get it.

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 12

If we lived in the UK fondant covered cakes would not be an issue. Sorry people are not more sensitive to you being there when they make their faces. It's true though texture and taste will make or break an edible creation. But what can you do? If you love using the fondant you may have to venture into educating your customers as to it's use. Good luck with your future orders.

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 12

I have tried Satin Ice, and actually the MMF tastes better I think. It tastes like candy corn to me. I use butter and vanilla flavoring. I don't mind them not liking it on their cake. Cause I really don't like it on my cake either. I do tell them over and over that they don't have to eat it, and it's all friends and family so they should listen. But no they try it and make ugly faces and sometimes spit it out. I mean they act like four year olds who by the way usually eat it. I just think it's rude to do that. My husband gets mad at me cause I don't like to do fondant cakes for that reason. He likes it and thinks that the look is worth it! I guess I just have to look away, and pretend it's not happening. No one in my area works with fondant you'd swear we were in a third world country here. Anyway..... I knew y'all would understand so I had to say something since it was eating at me.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 12

maybe you could create a cake around the theme 'if you don't like it, don't eat it!!!' for them?? lol icon_wink.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 12

...."third world country"......

I love it icon_lol.gif I live about 2 and a half hours to the east from you - WE are third world! People here don't even know what fondant is until you tell them...... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 12

My MIL is the one who says things about fondant to me. If I mention that I'm making something out of fondant she'll tell me "you should make it with something that people can eat." icon_confused.gif Apparently it's better to use a twizzler for anything stick like than to make a rope of fondant that looks 10 times better and fondant isn't edible. icon_rolleyes.gif

I haven't ever sold a cake with fondant and I always make sure that people know you can peel it off. I don't like it but I love the way it looks. I only have made MMF and some people really like it so I just ignore her.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 12

I tricked people into asking for it. The first time, I used "fondant." They didn't like it, threw it away, never wanted it again. Next time, I added a touch of vanilla, and made "marshmallow topping." They fought over it.

Both times were mmf, but the second time they knew what to relate it to. They now know it's the same stuff, and still fight over it. I just gave them some expectations - marshmallow = chewy, not a lot of flavor. It's all in how they see it, moreso than the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%