Is There A Secret To Fruit Fillings?

Decorating By mkorbal Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 3:31pm by peacockplace

mkorbal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkorbal Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 18

I have a cake to do, french vanilla with a raspberry filling. Believe it or not, this is the first request I've had for any kind of fruit filling. The cake is for Sunday. I have to make it Friday night because I won't be able to on Saturday.

So I did a practice one to see what happens if a fruit filled cake sits for a day and a half before serving it. Well it got kinda mushy on the inside, the raspberry soaked into the cake.

Is this to be expected with fruit fillings? Is there a trick to keep the fruit from soaking into the cake?

Thanks for all your help!!!! I would be lost without all the great people on this site!!!

17 replies
soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 18

Hi Newbie!
I haven't had an order for a fruit filled cake yet, but my Wilton instructor was just talking about this at class. She had an order and she put a thin layer of bc down, the her bc dam around the cake, then the filling. I hope this helps.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 18

i do fruit all the time, just did one yesterday for raspberry!

if you use fresh fruit, you are in for a good mess unless you eat it immediately!
heres what i do:

one 12 oz bag of frozen berries
1/4 cup sugar
1-2 tb cornstarch (2 will make it thick like jam)
2 tb chambord (sweet raspberry liquor-preserves it to make it shelf stable for a day or two)
lemon juice to taste ( i like it tart)

thaw the berries or slowly heat them to thaw. puree them in a blender. return to the stove and slowly cook them by adding in sugar . dilute the cornstarch in just enough COLD water to disolve it. stir that in to the mixture. stir constantly, and let it come to near simmer point or till it has thickened into a jam like consistency. cool. mix in the chambord (if you want to- $10 for a pint size bottle) it will not change the flavor.

once your filling is cooled and ready , you can fill your cake. dont forget to add a dam of icing to keep it in the cake - from squishing out. with the 2 tb of cornstarch, it stays put. it doesnt even seep into the cake so you dont need to ice underneath it.. YUM!

melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 18

i also remove the seeds after it is pureed , before cooking or adding ingredients, by pushing it through a strainer or sieve with a spoon. time consuming but worth it.

mkorbal Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 18

Wow! Melysa that sounds great. I will definately give that recipe at try.....just not this weekend! I'm not charging enough for this cake as it is, so they are getting raspberry preserves from a jar!

Soccermom, I thought about the thin layer of BC too, but I wasn't sure if that was just going to make things messier!

Thanks for the posts.

This is my 1st cake for a complete stranger thru the party planner, so I don't want to mess it up!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 18

you can also mix your jam with some butter cream for a filling. I do that all the time with my swiss meringue buttercream when I do a filling..and add a little liquor to make it even yummier!

jnf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnf1 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 18

These all sound great. Thanks for the information.

mkorbal Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 18

I already asked if I could mix the raspberry in with the buttercream, figuring that would solve my problem, but no, they want Raspberry only!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 18

I find that if I put a layer of buttercream under the fruit, it gets really slippery. Be careful!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:18am
post #10 of 18

I always do a thin layer of bc down first and then the raspberry filling. I have done several and no problem after even 3 days in the fridge! icon_smile.gif

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:29am
post #11 of 18

Thanks for this info, I was wondering about the fruit seeping into the cake.

melysa Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:18am
post #12 of 18

if its too expensive, you can definately skip the chambord, i just used it to add a preservative, but i've done it so many times without it. the regular recipe is less than 3 dollars for a batch. not much more than preserves, and much more tasty

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #13 of 18

does anyone know if you could use a can of strawberry pie filling or would that be too sweet. I won't have time to make a filling and I need something quick. Any ideas?

DBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBrooke Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:38am
post #14 of 18

I found a really good solution for this on another cake decorating site. Sorry I can't remember the name of the site to give credit. But, it's easy and really tastes good, slightly tart, but good flavor.

You take a jar of Pollaner's all fruit in a pan over low heat. When it's liquid, add a package of the same flavor jello, stir until it dissolves. The jello also gives it a really pretty red color.

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:48am
post #15 of 18

Also, along the lines of the thin layer of BC, you could also put on a layer of Pastry Pride on to sandwich the fresh raspberry. I do this all the time when using raspberry or strawberry jam. Too bad they don't want raspberry mousse the recipe on here is AMAZING! I just used it in a cake I made for our church Christmas party tonight. It was incredible paired with yellow cake and white chocolate BC.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 18

DBrooke, I was just wondering if it gets a jello-ish texture. Firm?? Also, so you have to refrigerate it?

DBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBrooke Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 18

It's hard to describe the texture. It doesn't look or taste "jello-y" at all. But it's solid enough that it doesn't seep into the cake or run when you cut the cake. I've made it 3 times with raspberry and everyone loved it. I didn't refrigerate the cake, and it stayed just perfect. It is amazingly simple. Hope this helps.

LOL...I'm new to all this so was thrilled to finally be able to contribute!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 18

Do they make raspberry jello? I guess I need to pay more attention in the jello isle. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%